ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Hall Injury

acedog

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Just as important as the Thorson injury. He was arguably our best defensive player.

Reactions: loyolacat
Just as important as the Thorson injury. He was arguably our best defensive player.

I was thinking this too recently. Between Hall and Paddy, we have two of the best LB in the B1G. With Walsh graduating, we really need Hall to return in 100% condition ASAP. If he's not ready by the season opener, that puts our defense on shakier ground.

Our depth is decent at LB though a bit green: Nathan Fox (likely Walsh replacement), Blake Gallagher, Jango have all been battle-tested, while first year guys like McIntyre (redshirt), Grayson Mann, Khalid Jones, etc. are all high potential guys who may see early playing time.

I was thinking this too recently. Between Hall and Paddy, we have two of the best LB in the B1G. With Walsh graduating, we really need Hall to return in 100% condition ASAP. If he's not ready by the season opener, that puts our defense on shakier ground.

Our depth is decent at LB though a bit green: Nathan Fox (likely Walsh replacement), Blake Gallagher, Jango have all been battle-tested, while first year guys like McIntyre (redshirt), Grayson Mann, Khalid Jones, etc. are all high potential guys who may see early playing time.

LB depth scares the piss out of me next year, especially with Hall recovering from an ACL and Jango with his shoulder (though guessing Jango will be at least near-full go for spring ball). The younger guys better get up to speed REALLY quickly because they're a snap or two away from seeing major playing time.

LB depth scares the piss out of me next year, especially with Hall recovering from an ACL and Jango with his shoulder (though guessing Jango will be at least near-full go for spring ball). The younger guys better get up to speed REALLY quickly because they're a snap or two away from seeing major playing time.

I agree. When I started going down the list of LBs after Fisher and Hall, we ran out of experienced players pretty fast. If Hall is not ready, then you would have Fisher, Fox, and Gallager/Glackin. That's it. There's the walkon Bergin who saw some action, and that's it... you're left with a bunch of guys who didn't see a snap.

Let's face it; we are thin everywhere next year but at DE and RB. We lose a ton this June.

Let's face it; we are thin everywhere next year but at DE and RB. We lose a ton this June.

Eh... that's pushing it. We at least have a ton of bodies at WR, OL, SB, and DL. It's more a matter of guys emerging as legitimate B1G/P5-level players who we haven't seen a lot on Saturdays to date. Could even make a similar argument at LB and DB.

I like our DL. Losing Lanny will hurt but we should be ok. I think that Jordan Thompson and Alex Miller will be solid in the interior, and we are loaded at DE, which may cause someone to slide over to the interior (Wyatt, etc.).

I like our DL. Losing Lanny will hurt but we should be ok. I think that Jordan Thompson and Alex Miller will be solid in the interior, and we are loaded at DE, which may cause someone to slide over to the interior (Wyatt, etc.).

Wyatt was back playing inside toward the second half of last year after Samdup's emergence. Saunders is another guy who could/should step in pretty well after a full year of recovery from his ACL torn last fall camp.

Reactions: nu greek
as per Thorson and Nate Hall...".Jonathan Wiley,(SIU basketball) playing in his first game of 2018 after tearing his ACL, MCL and PCL in his right knee in late December, scored four points off the bench." just goes to show, I guess, every knee injury is a separate deal and we will just have to wait, see and hope.

I agree. When I started going down the list of LBs after Fisher and Hall, we ran out of experienced players pretty fast. If Hall is not ready, then you would have Fisher, Fox, and Gallager/Glackin. That's it. There's the walkon Bergin who saw some action, and that's it... you're left with a bunch of guys who didn't see a snap.

How many snaps had Paddy taken before this past season?

as per Thorson and Nate Hall...".Jonathan Wiley,(SIU basketball) playing in his first game of 2018 after tearing his ACL, MCL and PCL in his right knee in late December, scored four points off the bench." just goes to show, I guess, every knee injury is a separate deal and we will just have to wait, see and hope.
December 2016?

How many snaps had Paddy taken before this past season?

I agree, they got to start sometime. Just a big unknown at this point. My gut feel is that a true freshman like Mann or Jones will see playing time.

So he hit the knee ligament trifecta 2 months ago and now he's playing? Did he have surgery?
Very strange. His coach declared him out in early January:
Jonathan Wiley and Eric McGill will miss the remainder of the season with injuries, SIU men's basketball coach Barry Hinson told voice of the Salukis Mike Reis earlier today.

Wiley, a 6-foot-7, 201-pound senior forward, tore his ACL and MCL against Drake, according to Reis. Hinson expected McGill to miss the rest of the season earlier this week when he spoke to the media, but had hoped to get Wiley back in a few weeks.
http://thesouthern.com/sports/colle...cle_4749cbea-bef3-52c7-9262-5b1618ab32d2.html

But last week Wiley was optimistic he could return:

He was originally told the injury would sideline him for two weeks, but an MRI revealed more extensive damage, and that timeline was pushed to 6-8 weeks. Wiley continues to rehab the knee with the outside chance he could play again this season.

"I'm really trying to come back, even if it's for a game or two games," he said. "I wasn't too emotional about it at the time. I have a lot of life to live, a lot of basketball to play and stuff to accomplish. It hits me a little more now that these games are happening and I'm not playing in them."
http://siusalukis.com/news/2018/2/6...-shows-his-ability-to-overcome-adversity.aspx

He played 13 minutes Sunday.

I am guessing Jango won't be ready till Camp. It wouldn't benefit the team of Jango to have him full go during spring ball Jango has always been fast, but he is blazing fast this year. Don't know who besides Hall and Jango that can play Sam. They have Jango competing with the RB's and Wr's in speed drills in practice My guess is as always we will be fine at linebacker. The starters should be Hall, Fisher, and Fox. Jango can play any of the backer positions, and knows every position. Gallagher can play Will and Mike. As long as we don't lose more that two backers we should be fine.

I am guessing Jango won't be ready till Camp. It wouldn't benefit the team of Jango to have him full go during spring ball Jango has always been fast, but he is blazing fast this year. Don't know who besides Hall and Jango that can play Sam. They have Jango competing with the RB's and Wr's in speed drills in practice My guess is as always we will be fine at linebacker. The starters should be Hall, Fisher, and Fox. Jango can play any of the backer positions, and knows every position. Gallagher can play Will and Mike. As long as we don't lose more that two backers we should be fine.
How is the labrum recovery coming along? That’s not a trifling injury. Hope he feels great .

How is the labrum recovery coming along? That’s not a trifling injury. Hope he feels great .
He feels great, fast and agile. Coach Hooten worked with him personally on speed and agility. He just starting benching yesterday. They had him do 10 sets of twenty of 135 lbs. He needs to continue to strengthen his shoulder, but he is under the care of a great staff. He will be ready this year and I expect him to show out in Camp. Thank you for asking.

He feels great, fast and agile. Coach Hooten worked with him personally on speed and agility. He just starting benching yesterday. They had him do 10 sets of twenty of 135 lbs. He needs to continue to strengthen his shoulder, but he is under the care of a great staff. He will be ready this year and I expect him to show out in Camp. Thank you for asking.
Good news. Thx for the update.

Reactions: CatsDad
Great news! thanks for the update.
Gotta be tough to not see your son going directly to the first position. I have no doubt that he is giving it his all, maybe your all too. So good to have guys like Jango, with his kind of dedication and drive on the team.

Great news! thanks for the update.
Gotta be tough to not see your son going directly to the first position. I have no doubt that he is giving it his all, maybe your all too. So good to have guys like Jango, with his kind of dedication and drive on the team.
Jango was hurt and was out, so he moves to the bottom of the depth chart. We have constantly recruited very good linebackers. Fisher and Hall are elite, I think Fox has the potential to be elite also. We could have the best linebacker group in the B1G. Gallagher and Glackin will be good backups to relieve and fill in for players. Maybe one of them can steal a spot, it will be tough with such a talented group Jango will work his butt off and wait for his number to be called in whatever capacity he is needed. Jango has always been a team first person. Don't worry about the backers, this is a great group we have.

I've wondered how Jango would do as a superback for us. He could give us Vitale-like speed at that position.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I've wondered how Jango would do as a superback for us. He could give us Vitale-like speed at that position.
I was surprised they never tried him at that position. He was a very good kick and punt returner too. He has very good hands too and is a great blocker. I don't think the staff knows of his hands.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT