ADVERTISEMENT

NBA draft thoughts

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
Edey went #9 overall.
That certainly surprised most of the "experts."
However Clingan went #7.
I realize the NBA is a different version of basketball, but if you swapped Edey and Clingan in the NCAA championship game, UConn would have won about 100-20.

The top 8 picks consisted of...
3 French kids
2 UConn players - a freshman and a sophomore
2 Kentucky freshmen
1 guy from the G-League.

Then Memphis said "Lets take the giant."

Indiana's sophomore Kel El Ware went #15.
Soon to be 24 years old, Illinois senior Terrence Shannon went #27.
Creighton's Baylor Scheierman was another college senior taken, at #30. He's also approaching 24 years old.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
My biggest curiosity is to see whether Cam Spencer gets picked in the 2nd round. From the limited reading I've done, it seems like he will be.

It's interesting to think that if he stayed at Rutgers there's zero chances he'd be even talked about. He moved to the undisputed best team in the country, shows he's a scorer even when surrounded by NBA talent teammates, and here we are.

I still have a hard time seeing him as a legit rotation prospect at the NBA level. But the Spencer brothers surely are forces to be reckoned with. So we'll see.

Reactions: NUCat320
My biggest curiosity is to see whether Cam Spencer gets picked in the 2nd round. From the limited reading I've done, it seems like he will be.

It's interesting to think that if he stayed at Rutgers there's zero chances he'd be even talked about. He moved to the undisputed best team in the country, shows he's a scorer even when surrounded by NBA talent teammates, and here we are.

I still have a hard time seeing him as a legit rotation prospect at the NBA level. But the Spencer brothers surely are forces to be reckoned with. So we'll see.

Hard for me to see Cam Spencer being better at basketball than Boo Buie...

Pretty cool that the Bulls got a Chicago (Hindsdale) kid who tumbled to them.

Bronny to LA at 55? We’ll know in an hour or so.

Edey went #9 overall.
That certainly surprised most of the "experts."
However Clingan went #7.
I realize the NBA is a different version of basketball, but if you swapped Edey and Clingan in the NCAA championship game, UConn would have won about 100-20.

The top 8 picks consisted of...
3 French kids
2 UConn players - a freshman and a sophomore
2 Kentucky freshmen
1 guy from the G-League.

Then Memphis said "Lets take the giant."

Indiana's sophomore Kel El Ware went #15.
Soon to be 24 years old, Illinois senior Terrence Shannon went #27.
Creighton's Baylor Scheierman was another college senior taken, at #30. He's also approaching 24 years old.
Your opinion of Clingan is misguided. How did we win once and then keep it so close with Purdue but get blown out early (largely due to Clingan) against UCONN, if Edey is so dominant as to cause an 80 point win (exaggeration noted)?

Cam to the Grizzlies. My prediction: he'll have a longer NBA career that Edey, who will be exploited on defense and can't rely on the short-range post game that was his strength on offense in college.

Reactions: usopen30
Cam to the Grizzlies. My prediction: he'll have a longer NBA career that Edey, who will be exploited on defense and can't rely on the short-range post game that was his strength on offense in college.
The NBA has done everything it can to rid itself of players like Edey and Shaq.
I don't like the NBA, so I'm rooting for Edey.
But yeah, the whole league wants to see him fail, so he probably will.
When you control the rules and the refs, you get what you want...

Reactions: hdhntr1
Your opinion of Clingan is misguided. How did we win once and then keep it so close with Purdue but get blown out early (largely due to Clingan) against UCONN, if Edey is so dominant as to cause an 80 point win (exaggeration noted)?
What a strange post!

For starters, Nicholson and Berry didn't play against UConn, so your basis of comparison is shaky.

But beyond that, your question is oddly illogical.
Edey was by far the best player on Purdue..
Purdue was soundly beaten by UConn, even though Edey dominated Clingan.
Connecticut was (significantly) better at the other 4 positions.
So if Edey and Clingan switched teams, Purdue gets totally obliterated by UConn.

There's nothing misguided about the fact that Edey was a better college player than Clingan the last 2 seasons.
I made no assertions about their futures in the NBA.
Clingan is only a sophomore so he should improve - but a few months ago Edey ate him alive.

Reactions: hoosboot and NJCat
My big worry based on this draft is the French owning the top pick(s) 2 years in a row. How are we going to keep basketball gold at the Olympics? As a nation, what would our recourse be if France beats us?

Start making edible cheese?

• Wow
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
My big worry based on this draft is the French owning the top pick(s) 2 years in a row. How are we going to keep basketball gold at the Olympics? As a nation, what would our recourse be if France beats us?

Start making edible cheese?
The amount of foreign players that have started to really dominate in the NBA is staggering. In a few Olympics, the American team may be the underdog.

Where did I say it was a no-brainer?
I just said I think Buie is better than Spencer.
Feels like you're trolling.
My point is most people across our nation (and NBA scouts) would not say that Buie is better. It’s still a good question that I think has nuance, and your opinion, which you are entitled to, was clearly not nuanced.

So you're saying Edey won't get the calls like he did at Purdue? How tragic. 😂

The NBA doesn't want to "see him fail" or is trying to "rid itself" of traditional centers. But when you have 7+ foot guys who can bring the ball up the court and shoot threes, it limits the role of the immobile big guys who can't dribble, have no jump shot, and can't defend a smaller, quicker player away from the basket off a switch. Edey is going to get exposed.

"Daaaad, you told me I would get dwafted by the NBA. Make the Wakers dwaft me, daaad. You pwomised!"
Not that I care about the Lakers, but the whole situation is absurd.

"In the history of the NBA, there's never been a father and a son that have shared an NBA basketball court and that feels like something that could be magical," Lakers vice president of basketball operations and general manager Rob Pelinka said. "We know, and have to respect of course, that LeBron has a decision on his opt-out ... but if it worked out that he was on our team next season, NBA history could be made. And NBA history should be made in a Lakers uniform."

• Haha
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
The amount of foreign players that have started to really dominate in the NBA is staggering. In a few Olympics, the American team may be the underdog.
If you made an All-Star team of non-American players, then the Americans would lose. But when the non-Americans are scattered among different international teams (Canada, France, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, etc.), then the American squad remains the top dog.

Some more thoughts.

I hate nepotism with a passion. But there's something admirable about the James family situation. They have beyond generational wealth. Those kids don't need to give a f***. And yet they work hard to be proper basketball players. There's something to that.

Ultimately though, there's not a Lebronless world that sees Bronny get drafted. Just like there's not a Cam Spencer stayed at Rutgers world where he gets drafted.

Nepotism is everywhere in sports. Family — because of the connections, and because of the genes — is the jumping off point for so many careers.

Belichick. Pitino. Mora. Bickerstaff. Literally hundreds of other coaches sons.

There was a first-round Carter who was the son of a long time NBA’er. Kids get identified because of their genes.

Most NBA second round picks never become anything. Many never even sign.

By all accounts, James had legitimately emerged as a prospect and earned his scholarship to USC. (I read former skeptics come around his senior year.)

James also, like, suffered cardiac arrest last summer, and didn’t have anything approaching a normal season. But his athleticism, his defensive attitude, and, yes, the vision that comes with growing up with the greatest player of a generation, make him no less risky than the randos drafted above and below him.

It’s an *awesome* story.

Like every youth sport, the best young hoopsters are now suburban kids with access to traveling teams and trainers. Apparently, the U17 national team has a couple of Boozers, an Ariza, the younger, better James, and on and on.

What a strange post!

For starters, Nicholson and Berry didn't play against UConn, so your basis of comparison is shaky.

But beyond that, your question is oddly illogical.
Edey was by far the best player on Purdue..
Purdue was soundly beaten by UConn, even though Edey dominated Clingan.
Connecticut was (significantly) better at the other 4 positions.
So if Edey and Clingan switched teams, Purdue gets totally obliterated by UConn.

There's nothing misguided about the fact that Edey was a better college player than Clingan the last 2 seasons.
I made no assertions about their futures in the NBA.
Clingan is only a sophomore so he should improve - but a few months ago Edey ate him alive.
Your post’s first comment was first about their NBA draft order - that makes no assertions about their future? Yah right. Edey did not dominate us defensively like Clingan did - that’s my point and you don’t seem to get that. He will be a much better defender than Edey in the pros, and he will ultimately become a much better offensive player.

Nepotism is everywhere in sports. Family — because of the connections, and because of the genes — is the jumping off point for so many careers.

How many people were excited about Nance because they had seen other Nances succeed? He was a decent player, but his name likely inflated his recruit ranking and our expectations.

I'm fine with the LeBron/Bronny thing and think it's pretty cool. Like watching Ken Griffey Sr. and Ken Griffey Jr. together. Or when my family was on a slow-pitch softball team and my dad came up with the bases loaded - by his three kids.

If Bronny deserves to be in the league, he'll show it, and if he doesn't he'll likely be gone when his dad is (if not earlier). A 55th pick is general a flyer anyway.

How many people were excited about Nance because they had seen other Nances succeed? He was a decent player, but his name likely inflated his recruit ranking and our expectations.

I'm fine with the LeBron/Bronny thing and think it's pretty cool. Like watching Ken Griffey Sr. and Ken Griffey Jr. together. Or when my family was on a slow-pitch softball team and my dad came up with the bases loaded - by his three kids.

If Bronny deserves to be in the league, he'll show it, and if he doesn't he'll likely be gone when his dad is (if not earlier). A 55th pick is general a flyer anyway.
Your post leaves one burning question that must be answered or it will haunt me

Did you dad bring his kids home or were they left stranded?

Reactions: EagerFan
Your post leaves one burning question that must be answered or it will haunt me

Did you dad bring his kids home or were they left stranded?

I honestly don't remember (this would've been like 1988 or something), but he was smiling and laughing so much during his at-bat that he probably couldn't concentrate on the pitches coming in.

Reactions: macarthur31
Your post’s first comment was first about their NBA draft order - that makes no assertions about their future? Yah right. Edey did not dominate us defensively like Clingan did - that’s my point and you don’t seem to get that. He will be a much better defender than Edey in the pros, and he will ultimately become a much better offensive player.
All I did was report that in the NBA draft Edey went 9th and Clingan went 7th.
Nowhere did I say that Edey should have gone ahead of Clingan.
If you can find words that say that above , I'll give you $1000.

So you're saying Edey won't get the calls like he did at Purdue? How tragic. 😂

The NBA doesn't want to "see him fail" or is trying to "rid itself" of traditional centers. But when you have 7+ foot guys who can bring the ball up the court and shoot threes, it limits the role of the immobile big guys who can't dribble, have no jump shot, and can't defend a smaller, quicker player away from the basket off a switch. Edey is going to get exposed.

I understand that the conventional wisdom is that Edey will not be able to guard on the perimeter because he's too slow.
He only plays/stays in the league if he can score at will in the paint.
I think that in some games he'll be able to do that. Some of the twigs he'll face will crumple when he bumps them.

It will be interesting seeing if NBA refs allow him to continue his practice of blatantly fouling his defender at will. Without that crutch his offense will plummet.

It will be interesting seeing if NBA refs allow him to continue his practice of blatantly fouling his defender at will. Without that crutch his offense will plummet.

Well, my primary gripe about Edey in college was that the refs called fouls on the defender for trying to hold position after Edey initiated contact, trying to bull the guy toward the basket. Never understood that. Its either charging or a no-call. (This was when the camera would cut to Collins asking "Whats he supposed to do?")

The other thing Purdue taught Edey was really pretty clever. He'd establish position and put his arms up. The defender (behind Edey) would raise his arms to try to prevent an entry pass. Then Edey would move his arm back to entangle the defender's arm, and pull forward. The refs would see the arms tangled up and called a foul on the defender every time.

In the old NBA days, Shaq would simply blast through his defender so often that some guys just stepped aside and let him dunk. Guessing Edey won't be allowed to do that, especially against better players.

By all accounts, James had legitimately emerged as a prospect and earned his scholarship to USC. (I read former skeptics come around his senior year.)

James also, like, suffered cardiac arrest last summer, and didn’t have anything approaching a normal season. But his athleticism, his defensive attitude, and, yes, the vision that comes with growing up with the greatest player of a generation, make him no less risky than the randos drafted above and below him.

It’s an *awesome* story.
Is it? It's really nice that he's recovered to be able to play the game he loves. I think it's nice for Lebron to get to play with his son, but I'm not sure it's an awesome story for Bronny let alone anyone else. I fear the poor kid has lost all opportunity to be his own person and forge his own path. By all accounts, he's a good kid and a hard worker, but he was 2nd team all conference his senior year. That's not 2nd team all-state or even 2nd team all city. That's 2nd team all conference. Nothing at all to sneeze at or be ashamed of, but not really a one-and-done kind of profile. Neither is being 6'1" with average athleticism and a mediocre handle while averaging under 5 points/game and shooting 28% from the field in your lone college season. The kid drafted right after him can contribute right away on an NBA squad. JMHO, but Bronny would have been much better served staying in college another year and staying a little further away from his Dad's shadow.

Wait ... you think there's a conspiracy against.... Zach Edey??

He will be able to keep doing what he is doing most likely. The difference is that now the defenders will be able to bang him back without getting called for a foul.

Is it? It's really nice that he's recovered to be able to play the game he loves. I think it's nice for Lebron to get to play with his son, but I'm not sure it's an awesome story for Bronny let alone anyone else. I fear the poor kid has lost all opportunity to be his own person and forge his own path. By all accounts, he's a good kid and a hard worker, but he was 2nd team all conference his senior year. That's not 2nd team all-state or even 2nd team all city. That's 2nd team all conference. Nothing at all to sneeze at or be ashamed of, but not really a one-and-done kind of profile. Neither is being 6'1" with average athleticism and a mediocre handle while averaging under 5 points/game and shooting 28% from the field in your lone college season. The kid drafted right after him can contribute right away on an NBA squad. JMHO, but Bronny would have been much better served staying in college another year and staying a little further away from his Dad's shadow.
You definitely know more than I do about Bronny’s game. But so many NBA teams draft on potential, especially in this year’s weak draft.

The third overall pick came off the bench at Kentucky. The 23rd overall pick averaged 3 ppg in Australia. The guy picked after the guy picked after Bronny is tall and 18 and played three games. The whole draft is a guess, where the most important attribute is whether or not your age starts with a 1.

Your point about dad’s shadow is well-taken.

Reactions: Hkjb and hoosboot
You definitely know more than I do about Bronny’s game. But so many NBA teams draft on potential, especially in this year’s weak draft.

The third overall pick came off the bench at Kentucky. The 23rd overall pick averaged 3 ppg in Australia. The guy picked after the guy picked after Bronny is tall and 18 and played three games. The whole draft is a guess, where the most important attribute is whether or not your age starts with a 1.

Yes, there's a lot of guesswork in the NBA draft, but there's still the potential for a second round pick to be a long-term contributor to a team. Many examples of second round picks being successful, such as Draymond Green. Bronnie was selected almost entirely for the purpose of keeping LeBron from opting out of his contract for next season. Neither will be playing in the NBA in three years.

The Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr. thing from the early 90s was cool, but it was legit. Senior was a solid veteran, while Junior was a budding superstar. Not the same situation with the LeBrons.

On a totally different note, I was thinking of NBA second round draft picks and remembered Chase Budinger, who was one of my favorite Rockets players a decade or so ago. He's now a professional volleyball player who will be competing in the Olympics this summer in sand volleyball. Very cool!

He will be able to keep doing what he is doing most likely. The difference is that now the defenders will be able to bang him back without getting called for a foul.
The defenders in the NBA will be bigger, stronger and more athletic. It will be more difficult for him to establish his position in the post, and when he does so, he won't have as many opportunities to pass it back out to an open shooter since it's less likely that he'll be double-teamed.

Reactions: hdhntr1
All I did was report that in the NBA draft Edey went 9th and Clingan went 7th.
Nowhere did I say that Edey should have gone ahead of Clingan.
If you can find words that say that above , I'll give you $1000.
I will stand by my inference of the meaning of your words. Your words do have inference and meaning, correct? I know you try to state facts, which is admirable, but why use words if they don’t convey meaning?

You were surprised Edey was picked as high as he was, and then, with the added use of the term “however”, one would infer you were even more surprised Clingan went at #7.

You also had said having Edey on UCONN would have allowed Purdue only 20 points. The inference/meaning is that Edey is a more dominant defensive player (since Purdue actually scored a lot more than 20). I argued that Clingan dominated us defensively and Edey never did.

I’ll let you buy the beer when we meet at an NU bball game - sound ok?

Because Clingan was surrounded by a lot more and still developing. And he probably fits into NBA better. While Edny is more what you see is what you get. We play Purdue every year and know pretty much what to expect while have never played UCON. Also just a worse matchup.

And if Edy is on UCON, he is not on Purdue

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosboot
Yes, there's a lot of guesswork in the NBA draft, but there's still the potential for a second round pick to be a long-term contributor to a team. Many examples of second round picks being successful, such as Draymond Green. Bronnie was selected almost entirely for the purpose of keeping LeBron from opting out of his contract for next season. Neither will be playing in the NBA in three years.

The Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr. thing from the early 90s was cool, but it was legit. Senior was a solid veteran, while Junior was a budding superstar. Not the same situation with the LeBrons.

On a totally different note, I was thinking of NBA second round draft picks and remembered Chase Budinger, who was one of my favorite Rockets players a decade or so ago. He's now a professional volleyball player who will be competing in the Olympics this summer in sand volleyball. Very cool!

Could you imagine if a team was so desperate to keep their star that they gave their head coaching job to his podcast cohost with no experience above fourth grade!?!?!

That’d be clownier than taking his son in the second round.

Great points. We're sort of used to guys like those low production guys you note being picked because of physical attributes which project into good NBA talent with the right training. The difference with Bronny is that he mostly lacks those physical attributes, so they are projecting based upon his basketball acumen based upon his proximity to his famous father. That's an unusual thing, but teams have their own systems for finding talent so we'll see how this nets out for the Lakers. Most people around L.A. seem pretty bent about the pick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT