ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA bans satellite camps

I'm sorry if this is too confrontal, but I live in SEC country and just witnessed some ugly-ass racism and bigotry go down where I live and I'm still pissed off about it. Nothing drives me to anger and violence like witnessing overt racism.

Anyone who wants to defend the SEC's strict policy of not admitting blacks until the late '60's, well...(I'll keep quiet because I'm so DAMN ANGRY RIGHT NOW!)

Still didn't answer the question...

Wondering why you are so adamant on this subject. The SEC and the entire south practiced racism and bigotry until and after the Civil Right Act became law. Hope you realize that there is no way you can win this argument or are you doing this to hide something else, like the trials and convictions of Tennessee players"?

I didn't start the race issue in this thread, one of you did. Having said that, I wish our northern neighbours had never legalized slavery to begin with. Therefore, the South would not have had anyone to follow.

From an article I found:

"From 1893 through 1941, sixteen African Americans played at least one season of football for Northwestern"

From an article I found:

"From 1893 through 1941, sixteen African Americans played at least one season of football for Northwestern"

Thanks, that is better than nothing, but still pretty sad if you were a black athlete from that time. Racial and gender based inequality have been weak points in our great country's history. Furthermore, it is hardly something that any region can point to and then brag about it.

Yeah, I'm not getting the "we're less racist than you" sidebar of this thread (the thread itself is an interesting one, sorry to contribute to derailing it).

The US has little to be proud of when it comes to how the white majority treated racial minorities for most of our history. There were bright spots, sure, and not just in the north or south or west or mid-west. But there have been, and continue to be, plenty of incidents of racial bigotry throughout the nation as well.

One of the "benefits" of a career in the Army is living the life of a nomad. I've been stationed all over the country (and the world, for that matter), from upstate NY to VA to NC to IN to KS out to CA and back around to PA. I found racist azzholes in all those spots, but I also found a lot of good people trying to make racism a thing of our past.

Bragging that the North was only XX% as racist as the South, or that racism in X sport was less pronounced in one school than the other, well, that doesn't help anyone anywhere. It doesn't equate to right vs wrong, only wrong vs more wrong. It certainly doesn't help end racism. In short, we're solving nothing with this back-and-forth. Absolutely nothing.

Would love for this thread to just get back to talking about how Harbaugh can't spend spring break at a high school in Florida next year. :)

I didn't start the race issue in this thread, one of you did. Having said that, I wish our northern neighbours had never legalized slavery to begin with. Therefore, the South would not have had anyone to follow.
You need to remember that you lost the war.

Willy, I'm gonna take a wild guess that Della wasn't alive during that war. Therefore, she neither won nor lost it.

As for our country and its regions, no one won. It's another case of "lost" and "lost worse". All our American ancestors paid for that one.

Willy, I'm gonna take a wild guess that Della wasn't alive during that war. Therefore, she neither won nor lost it.

As for our country and its regions, no one won. It's another case of "lost" and "lost worse". All our American ancestors paid for that one.
True but who started it? Secession and slavery not worth the cost of many lives.

East Tennessee, where UTK sits (and where their fans are thickest) was solidly pro-Union territory.

(Remember the scenes in the "Beverly Hillbillies," where Granny would yell "rally round the flag!" and pull out a Confederate flag and everyone would sort of dance around it? It's a double historical inaccuracy: people from the mountains were overwhelmingly pro-union -- West Virginia split from Virginia because of it -- and "rally round the flag" was a line from a *union* war song. :))

According to Athletic Business, the NCAA may be revisiting the satellite camp matter - http://www.athleticbusiness.com/col...y-be-revisited.html?eid=276647447&bid=1378954
images

This thread seems to have strayed off course. Getting back to the original subject, it seems to me that this action by the NCAA was driven more by an attempt to protect some schools from gaining a "recruiting advantage" over others rather than an attempt to do what is in the best interest of prospective NCAA student athletes. What's new! The appropriate quid pro quo to this would be to allow recruits to take official visits starting with the second semester of their junior year of high school and to allow an early signing day in May of their junior year. That would be a fair way of dealing with some of the silly behavior that coaches like Scumbaugh are engaging in.

Last edited:
Reactions: della
This thread seems to have strayed off course. Getting back to the original subject, it seems to me that this action by the NCAA was driven more by an attempt to protect some schools from gaining a "recruiting advantage" over others rather than an attempt to do what is in the best of prospective NCAA student athletes. What's new. The appropriate quid pro quo to this would be to allow recruits to take official visits starting with the second semester of their junior year of high school and to allow an early signing day in May of their junior year. That would be a fair way of dealing with some of the silly behavior that coaches like Scumbaugh are engaging in.
Big Boys don't want that because it would limit their opportunities to swoop in at the end of the recruiting cycle and steal someone else's verbal that they identified early in the process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT