ADVERTISEMENT

New Commit - Caleb Tiernan

Hey Glades -

Guess that diamonds-in-the-rough doesn't apply to O-linemen.

If the 'Cats had been mostly recruiting 2* and low 3* for the O-line, shouldn't they still have a couple that have gone on to the NFL?

Posted that from recollection of not seeing too many 4* recruits in classes for Iowa.

Didn't include Wisky, b/c they usually get 1 (in rare cases 2) 4* O-linemen a class, but still, it's not like they get classes full of 4* O-linemen like dOSU.

Not sure what you’re trying to prove...last time I checked we have a new OL coach.

If you had read what I had posted, it's the notion that our O-line recruiting has sucked.

As I have shown, in terms of stars/ratings, it's not like Iowa has really recruited better and certainly not Minny or IU.

Yeah, we have a new O-line coach and think he would have done a better job in developing the 9 3.6 rated recruits the 'Cats had over the past 4 years.

Iowa in that span had 7 O-line recruits rated 3.6 or higher.

Hey Glades -

Guess that diamonds-in-the-rough doesn't apply to O-linemen.

If the 'Cats had been mostly recruiting 2* and low 3* for the O-line, shouldn't they still have a couple that have gone on to the NFL?

Posted that from recollection of not seeing too many 4* recruits in classes for Iowa.

Didn't include Wisky, b/c they usually get 1 (in rare cases 2) 4* O-linemen a class, but still, it's not like they get classes full of 4* O-linemen like dOSU.

Check out all of the NFL draft picks Michigan State had on their OL when they were winning B10 championships in the late aughts, early teens. They didn't have a single OL drafted for 9 drafts in a row (2007-2015) until Concklin was drafted in 2016. A quick check of their ratings indicates there were a handful of 4-stars on their rosters then. Also a lot of 2-star players, more than I would expect.

If you had read what I had posted, it's the notion that our O-line recruiting has sucked.

As I have shown, in terms of stars/ratings, it's not like Iowa has really recruited better and certainly not Minny or IU.

Yeah, we have a new O-line coach and think he would have done a better job in developing the 9 3.6 rated recruits the 'Cats had over the past 4 years.

Iowa in that span had 7 O-line recruits rated 3.6 or higher.

I guess if you only looked at the Rivals star ratings you might come to this conclusion. If you actually followed recruiting you might have a different perspective.

^ So you know more about recruiting than what you read from Rivals, 247 (previously Scout), etc.?

Gee, why don't you let the rest of us in on it?

There have been a good # of O-line recruits w/ other P5 or like offers.

Foster - Cinci, UK, Purdue, Vandy

Franks - PSU, Ariz, Baylor, BC, Cal, Duke, IU, UK, Louis'vll, Maryland, Neb, Ole Miss, Pitt, Rutgers, Cuse, UVA, Vandy, Utah, Wash St.

Rowley - Iowa St., Kansas

Blake - BC, Duke, IU, Minny, Mizzou, Cuse, UVA, Vandy

Schmidt - UVA, Cuse, Iowa St., Vandy

Slater - Illinois, Kansas

Gerak - Illinois, Iowa St., Cuse, Rutgers

Wiedekehr - BC, Louis'vll, UMD, Pitt, Purdue, Cuse, Rutgers, Wake

Kolwich - Michigan, Arkansas, Cinci, Illinois, Mizzou, Pitt, Purdue, Vandy

Urban - WVU, UMD, Illinois, Duke

Meyler - Wisky, UMD, Pitt, Vandy, Wake

Thomas - BC, Cinci, Illinois, Duke, Purdue, IU, Cuse, Wake

Lemke-Bell - Minny, Illinois, Iowa St., NC State, Cinci, Cuse, Rutgers

Doles - Michigan, Iowa St.

Oxley - Illinois, Louis'vll

Coverdale - Ariz St., Minny, NC St., UVA, Pitt, WVU, BC, UK, Kansas, Cinci, Louis'vll

North - Wash St., Houston

DePietro - Mich St., BC, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers

Park - Pitt, UMD, Cuse, WVU, Cinci

Olson - Michigan, BC, Duke, UVA, Wake

Just by pure chance, some of them should have turned out to be above-avg B1G grunts.

Last edited:
What have people heard about Frank's during practices and such since he was highly rated and had lots of strong offers.

^ So you know more about recruiting than what you read from Rivals, 247 (previously Scout), etc.?

Franks - PSU, Ariz, Baylor, BC, Cal, Duke, IU, UK, Louis'vll, Maryland, Neb, Ole Miss, Pitt, Rutgers, Cuse, UVA, Vandy, Utah, Wash St.

Coverdale - Ariz St., Minny, NC St., UVA, Pitt, WVU, BC, UK, Kansas, Cinci, Louis'vll

Just by pure chance, some of them should have turned out to be above-avg B1G grunts.

Looks like a slight negative correlation here between offers and stardom. The best players have the fewest offers. Several guys with lots of offers haven't panned out.

Reactions: BigCatCT
I guess if you only looked at the Rivals star ratings you might come to this conclusion. If you actually followed recruiting you might have a different perspective.
Katatonic + 1
Coral: -1

Coral, you are a pretty smart guy but Katatonic is right and you are in left field over this. Sorry bud

Slater is a future pro and could be 1st team B1G this year.
Tommy Doles was solid. Had HM honors I thought.

Looks like a slight negative correlation here between offers and stardom. The best players have the fewest offers. Several guys with lots of offers haven't panned out.

Ha - figured you'd pick up on that.

Nonetheless, the program has had recruits w/ a solid level of interest from other P5 programs, so we should have seen at least an avg. B1G O-line at times.

Ha - figured you'd pick up on that.

Nonetheless, the program has had recruits w/ a solid level of interest from other P5 programs, so we should have seen at least an avg. B1G O-line at times.

The Katatonic virus has hit the boards again! At least that's what it looks like on the threads page. I hope you're staying safe.

Other programs make mistakes, too. We make more of them, hoping to land a gem. I think we saw an average OL in a few of our seasons. We just haven't had a really strong OL in quite awhile. I think that is definitely changing in our recruiting now (Skoronski and Priebe are good athletes), and I like Anderson as much for his enthusiasm as his coaching techniques.

Reactions: techtim72 and DaCat
Yeah, all programs make mistakes, but they rarely keep making the same mistake for a decade (usually, heads roll well before that).

I still think the problem was largely one with recruiting. The presence of Anderson seems to have improved recruiting considerably! Now we'll see if he can coach.

Reactions: DaCat and HawkCat
^ But it's not like Iowa and esp. schools like Minny and IU recruited better at the position (according to star ratings and rankings).

Now, one can argue that the NU staff picked the wrong recruits who were at that level of star ratings and rankings, but that's kinda difficult to do for a decade w/o having just an avg. O-line once in a while (there have been years when Minny and IU have had issues at their O-line, but there have also been times, when they have had above avg. B1G O-line and in Minny's case, one of the better units in the conf.).

There are MAC programs that don't get that level of recruits for the O-line and have had better production from that position.

^ But it's not like Iowa and esp. schools like Minny and IU recruited better at the position (according to star ratings and rankings).

Now, one can argue that the NU staff picked the wrong recruits who were at that level of star ratings and rankings, but that's kinda difficult to do for a decade w/o having just an avg. O-line once in a while (there have been years when Minny and IU have had issues at their O-line, but there have also been times, when they have had above avg. B1G O-line and in Minny's case, one of the better units in the conf.).

There are MAC programs that don't get that level of recruits for the O-line and have had better production from that position.

Iowa knows how to identify and develop OL regardless of their star ratings. However, they've had their share of 5-star duds, too. DB and OL are very much a crapshoot to recruit, IMO.

^ Like my previous post stated, Iowa during that period had ONE 4* recruit (Wirfs) and NU during that period has actually had more O-line recruits graded 5.6 or higher (9 for NU vs. 7 for Iowa).

And as also stated in my previous post, acknowledged that Iowa does a much better job of developing their recruits.

But that's Iowa, doesn't also explain Minny and IU having better O-lines and sending O-linemen to the NFL.

^ Like my previous post stated, Iowa during that period had ONE 4* recruit (Wirfs) and NU during that period has actually had more O-line recruits graded 5.6 or higher (9 for NU vs. 7 for Iowa).

And as also stated in my previous post, acknowledged that Iowa does a much better job of developing their recruits.

But that's Iowa, doesn't also explain Minny and IU having better O-lines and sending O-linemen to the NFL.

Sounds like an improvement from their 5-star dud recruiting days at Iowa. Poor guys, King (DT) used to physically abuse them for being so crappy. Fortunately, they had enough 2-star studs that they could develop. Ferentz seems to have a great eye for OL after years in the pros.

Minny has landed some stud recruits. So did Indiana. I still feel the key is recruiting good athletes regardless of star ratings, guys who can move. We have guys whose feet are stuck in mud all the time. I can relate.

^ Minny and IU recruits weren't higher rated.

And thought the philosophy on O-line recruits (under Cush) was for lighter guys w/ quicker feet, and to beef them up for B1G play?

Whereas Anderson seems to be looking for bigger/stronger guys right from the start.

And thought the philosophy on O-line recruits (under Cush) was for lighter guys w/ quicker feet, and to beef them up for B1G play?

Whereas Anderson seems to be looking for bigger/stronger guys right from the start.

Goes to show you how unreliable ratings are.;):D

Minny had a great 2018 class, as well as Andries in the 2017 class. I was hoping we'd get Andries back then.

Anderson is landing better athletes, guys like Doles but larger.

Goes to show you how unreliable ratings are.;):D

So, are you so sure that these higher ranked recruits will be that much better?

Minny had a great 2018 class, as well as Andries in the 2017 class. I was hoping we'd get Andries back then.

Yes, but that doesn't explain their having had better O-lines going back a decade, much less the Hoosiers also having had better O-lines consistently.

Anderson is landing better athletes, guys like Doles but larger.

Anderson is landing landing better/bigger athletes for the position (at least on paper/recruiting rankings), but think a lot will rest on the diff. development process/techniques, as well as recruiting for the position more in line w/ what the O intends to do.

Maybe someone who follows the O-line more closely can pipe in, but my understanding was that they recruited guys w/ lighter feet even if that meant that there was more work to do in beefing them up.

That would make sense if the O was predicated on the O-line doing a lot of pulling, etc. and trying to get the D moving east and west - which it did from time to time, but that wasn't the norm.

And when the O-line tried to get the push forward on short-yardage situations, had all sorts of problems until pretty much solely relying on the QB sneak.

Last edited:
So, are you so sure that these higher ranked recruits will be that much better?

Yes, but that doesn't explain their having had better O-lines going back a decade, much less the Hoosiers also having had better O-lines consistently.

Anderson is landing landing better/bigger athletes for the position (at least on paper/recruiting rankings), but think a lot will rest on the diff. development process/techniques, as well as recruiting for the position more in line w/ what the O intends to do.

Maybe someone who follows the O-line more closely can pipe in, but my understanding was that they recruited guys w/ lighter feet even if that meant that there was more work to do in beefing them up.

That would make sense if the O was predicated on the O-line doing a lot of pulling, etc. and trying to get the D moving east and west - which it did from time to time, but that wasn't the norm.

And when the O-line tried to get the push forward on short-yardage situations, had all sorts of problems until pretty much solely relying on the QB sneak.

I assume you watch the games. Our OL don't move well regardless of what your understanding of our recruiting is. My guess is we recruited whomever we could get rather than conforming to any set strategy. Many immobile MAC maulers.

Now we seem to have a strategy and we're getting big guys who can move to fill it. Maybe it's because we have a more credible, enthusiastic coach in that room now that boosts our recruiting, IDK. What I do know is we haven't recruited polished guys like Skoronski and athletic, developmental guys like Priebe in years. If that correlates with star ratings, fine. The Stargazers need a win every now and then.;)

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

Anderson is recruiting bigger, stronger, longer AND much more athletic dudes across the board. The difference is stark. The film doesn’t lie. And Coral is spot on. Cushing’s recruiting and coaching was terrible. Fitz allowed it to go on way too long. Anderson has given us tangible reason for hope.

GOUNUII

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT