ADVERTISEMENT

New NFL overtime proposal

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
I just read about a new proposal being considered by the NFL for tie breakers.
If I understand it correctly, the winner of the coin toss would get to choose where the ball is placed and the loser of the coin toss would get to choose offense or defense. Then I guess it would be a sudden death ending.

It sounds like a fun idea but I'm having a hard time getting my head around what choice would be made. NU has played a lot of OT games. If this were a college rule how do you think the Cats might play this?

Wouldn't this plan ultimately lead to the exact same starting scenario every single time? At some point, some analytics pro would determine it makes the most sense to, for example, start at the far 25 yard line and give your opponent the ball.

• Love
Reactions: phatcat
Wouldn't this plan ultimately lead to the exact same starting scenario every single time? At some point, some analytics pro would determine it makes the most sense to, for example, start at the far 25 yard line and give your opponent the ball.
If they start at the far 25 yard line the opponent can choose defense and you have to drive 75 yards or they can choose offense and essentially win on the first play with a 42 yard FG.

I think?

If they start at the far 25 yard line the opponent can choose defense and you have to drive 75 yards or they can choose offense and essentially win on the first play with a 42 yard FG.

I think?
Yeah.... I wasn't sure how it would work. I assumed you could choose the 25 yard line of whomever gets the ball. But if you just picked a number and then the other team gets to decide, then this wouldn't even be worth discussing. One team would always pick the 50 yard line and the other team would always choose the ball.

I think that too sometimes. What is so evil about a tie? Besides the more tired the guys get the higher the likelihood of injury becomes.
Remembering that one of the most talked about games was a tie between MSU and ND.

I think that too sometimes. What is so evil about a tie? Besides the more tired the guys get the higher the likelihood of injury becomes.
I remember, after I attended (yes, I was there) that miserable multi-overtime loss at TCU when neither team could kick a field goal, that I wish that the game had ended in a tie. Then @Gladeskat chastised me for it. (I wonder if he remembers that.)

Yeah.... I wasn't sure how it would work. I assumed you could choose the 25 yard line of whomever gets the ball. But if you just picked a number and then the other team gets to decide, then this wouldn't even be worth discussing. One team would always pick the 50 yard line and the other team would always choose the ball.

It wouldn't be that simple.

Since the second team gets to choose whether to play O or D, the first team will try to choose a yardage that they believe is "fair" for both its offense and defense. I'm guessing teams that have stronger O will pick a line farther away from scoring, and vice versa. Should be at least more interesting, some game theory involved.

I remember, after I attended (yes, I was there) that miserable multi-overtime loss at TCU when neither team could kick a field goal, that I wish that the game had ended in a tie. Then @Gladeskat chastised me for it. (I wonder if he remembers that.)

No, but it sounds like something I'd do during that time period.

Always play to win the game. I have respect for Dennis Green and Northwestern for playing for the win in 1981 against Indiana when they could have settled for a tie and ended the long losing streak at 20 games.

Reactions: eastbaycat99

Always play to win the game. I have respect for Dennis Green and Northwestern for playing for the win in 1981 against Indiana when they could have settled for a tie and ended the long losing streak at 20 games.
Heh, part of my reasoning at the time was that, sitting through those miserable overtimes, it didn't seem like either team deserved to win. Baz put in a heroic performance to bring the 'Cats back from a large deficit, but they just couldn't finish. Part of my reasoning, which I think is why you chastised me, was also that I had this nagging feeling that Northwestern would have a better chance of making a bowl game if that game had ended in a tie. Indeed, they would have been bowl-eligible if that game had been a tie; instead, they got to sit home after the big choke at Hawaii.

(What a waste of a season to beat The Ohio State.)

Reactions: Gladeskat
That Hawaii game was the first game I've seen that was clearly and deliberately thrown by the referees.

The same thing happened in the MSU vs Hawaii game the following week.

Reactions: Alvious
That Hawaii game was the first game I've seen that was clearly and deliberately thrown by the referees.

The same thing happened in the MSU vs Hawaii game the following week.
I don't disagree. But NU's terrible pass defense definitely had a part in that by spotting Hawaii a big lead. The MSU game the following week was even more blatantly stolen.

Upon further review, the 'Cats had three other overtime games that season, all of which they won. So if all of those games had instead ended in a tie, NU's record would have been worse and they definitely would not have been bowl eligible. So I guess you were right; it's better to play for the win.

Certainly, NU has won their share of overtime games over the years.

Upon further review, the 'Cats had three other overtime games that season, all of which they won. So if all of those games had instead ended in a tie, NU's record would have been worse and they definitely would not have been bowl eligible. So I guess you were right; it's better to play for the win.

Certainly, NU has won their share of overtime games over the years.
It prompted the memorable marketing campaign the following year:

northwestern%2Bfootball%2Bposter%2Bconstruction.jpg

I think?
I think if one team chose the 25, it would be the Offense's 25 not matter what.

Why not choose the 1 yard line?
Because then the other team would almost certainly pick defense and put you in a terrible spot. I just guessed the 25 might be best. Maybe somewhere between the 25 and the 40 would be the zone of least risk. You go further back, your opponent picks defense and you're in trouble. You go further out and your opponent picks offense and you're also in trouble.

In the end, I guess my point was ... this system wouldn't change much except that losing the coin toss is now probably better. Under the current rules, you win the toss and you basically get the ball on the 25 because the other team kicks it to you for a touchback. Under the new rules, I would argue you get penalized for winning the coin toss because now the other team could pick the ball and it would still probably start around the 25.

Are you kidding? Glades would never forget a good chastising.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Remembering that one of the most talked about games was a tie between MSU and ND.
And possibly the worst game ever, our 0-0 game. Nobody deserved to win
And the famous Bobby Bowden quote "dadgum good win..uh..tie"
John Cooper said OSU fans are behind you, "win or tie"
Superior teams that d**k around for 55 minutes deserve half a loss rather than a chance in OT. They'd be forced to play for the win.
Ties are awesome. So unsatisfying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT