ADVERTISEMENT

Next year is CC’s last chance in my view

PurpleFaze

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2019
I love his recruiting- we will probably have the most talented team in NU history next year if we don‘t see mass transfers. Love the talent, but so far I see no signs that he knows how to gel them into a team or make them a fundamentally sound group.

Any real jumps in player development beyond what would be expected from natural growth year to year?

Is it too much to ask to see a smart team that understands how to execute?

Next year we will have a team of his players with a bunch of 3 and 4 year guys in his system so it should be tourney or the door.

Reactions: GatoLouco
And even then, what after? Nance and Koop graduate. Our current sophomores aren’t very good. Is the expectation for Collins to be in the cellar for 4-5 years and then produce a single bubble team before repeating the cycle?

And even then, what after? Nance and Koop graduate. Our current sophomores aren’t very good. Is the expectation for Collins to be in the cellar for 4-5 years and then produce a single bubble team before repeating the cycle?
that would be better than any other NU BB coach in their history.

How many years left on CC's deal? Because I see that as the main thing about what will happen to him. He is well like at NU so I think he gets some leeway until he is entering the last year or so of his deal. NU will buy him out if they feel a change is necessary but they are not buying out multiple years. Just so not see that happening

How many years left on CC's deal?
Four more seasons:

"Northwestern's Chris Collins has agreed to a lengthy contract extension, source told ESPN," Goodman reported Monday afternoon. "Would likely take an elite college or NBA job for him to leave Evanston." The Tribune's Teddy Greenstein added that Collins' contract will run through the 2024-25 season.

Reactions: catsattackfor3
Well, if he takes us back to the Tourney next season, that would double our all-time appearances.

To some extent, he has to be judged in the context of the history of our program, and if he takes us to the Tourney a second time, that at least proves that the first time wasn't a fluke.

But we absolutely do need to see some results next season. We can't be in a perpetual rebuild.

I agree that some results are needed next season. NU has an abysmal BB history, but we need higher expectations. I do think this year's team would have had a better record in some other seasons. The B1G is brutal this year.

Well, if he takes us back to the Tourney next season, that would double our all-time appearances.

To some extent, he has to be judged in the context of the history of our program, and if he takes us to the Tourney a second time, that at least proves that the first time wasn't a fluke.

But we absolutely do need to see some results next season. We can't be in a perpetual rebuild.

The long-term history of our program almost irrelevant. Recruits don't care if the program was in the cellar in the 1980s or winning championships in the 1970s. Indiana was once considered a blue blood, and now they are struggling to be relevant. Same for Nebraska in football. The medium-term history of our program is that Carmody had built us up to be at least a perpetual NIT quality program and he was fired for not being better. The short-term history of our program is that we have never before had so much institutional and financial support for athletics as we do now. We also have never had the sustained success in a high profile sport like football as we do now. That's stuff that matters, and Collins needs to live up to his part of the bargain. What happened in the 1980s is irrelevant. The expectations are different than the past because the institutional support and financial investment are different.

The long-term history of our program almost irrelevant. Recruits don't care if the program was in the cellar in the 1980s or winning championships in the 1970s. Indiana was once considered a blue blood, and now they are struggling to be relevant. Same for Nebraska in football. The medium-term history of our program is that Carmody had built us up to be at least a perpetual NIT quality program and he was fired for not being better. The short-term history of our program is that we have never before had so much institutional and financial support for athletics as we do now. We also have never had the sustained success in a high profile sport like football as we do now. That's stuff that matters, and Collins needs to live up to his part of the bargain. What happened in the 1980s is irrelevant. The expectations are different than the past because the institutional support and financial investment are different.
Our football team went through up-and-down cycles through Gary, Walker, and Fitz before we developed the depth and stability where the down year (like '19) is the exception. How many tries did it take before we could win a frickin' bowl game, but now we win most of them? It took 15-20 years for the football team to build this kind of stability.

Carmody left Collins with a complete rebuild, as was clear from Carmody's final season with us. Collins did improve every season until he took us to the Dance. It was a huge disappointment that the same core of players couldn't repeat the success the following season. I still don't quite understand what happened and I do blame Collins for that. However, I fully expected a rebuild following that season anyway, so I'm not exactly shocked that we reached this point in the cycle. The 'Cats need to deliver next season with senior leadership, though.

Our football team went through up-and-down cycles through Gary, Walker, and Fitz before we developed the depth and stability where the down year (like '19) is the exception. How many tries did it take before we could win a frickin' bowl game, but now we win most of them? It took 15-20 years for the football team to build this kind of stability.

Carmody left Collins with a complete rebuild, as was clear from Carmody's final season with us. Collins did improve every season until he took us to the Dance. It was a huge disappointment that the same core of players couldn't repeat the success the following season. I still don't quite understand what happened and I do blame Collins for that. However, I fully expected a rebuild following that season anyway, so I'm not exactly shocked that we reached this point in the cycle. The 'Cats need to deliver next season with senior leadership, though.

Barnett, Walker, and Fitz never delivered 4 straight years of straight up dog shit, cellar dwelling performances like Collins has. If Fitz followed up the bowl win year with 4 years of 3-4 win teams, his ass would be on the hot seat too.

Reactions: drewjin
Barnett, Walker, and Fitz never delivered 4 straight years of straight up dog shit, cellar dwelling performances like Collins has. If Fitz followed up the bowl win year with 4 years of 3-4 win teams, his ass would be on the hot seat too.
Collins has 4 more years on his contract. Just thought I'd toss that into the conversation.

• Wow
Reactions: phatcat
Everyone gets an extra year of eligibility due to Covid. So Nance, Kopp, Greer, and Gaines could possibly play through the 22-23 season if they and NU so decide. In theory this would allow any of the above players to play two years with next season's freshmen (potentially including PBJ).

Everyone gets an extra year of eligibility due to Covid. So Nance, Kopp, Greer, and Gaines could possibly play through the 22-23 season if they and NU so decide. In theory this would allow any of the above players to play two years with next season's freshmen (potentially including PBJ).

In theory, yes, but remember that you only get a scholarship waiver on players who are seniors this year and return for 2021-22. If those 4 players all stay to 2023, they will be taking up 4 scholarship slots that would normally have opened up for incoming freshmen, unless of course they pay their own way.

In theory, yes, but remember that you only get a scholarship waiver on players who are seniors this year and return for 2021-22. If those 4 players all stay to 2023, they will be taking up 4 scholarship slots that would normally have opened up for incoming freshmen, unless of course they pay their own way.
I can think of at least two of those guys will not be offered, maybe three.

You Collins apologists are really grasping at straws

Collins has 4 more years on his contract. Just thought I'd toss that into the conversation.
Are there no performance clauses? There has to be something that tremendously bad performances can create an out.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
Are there no performance clauses? There has to be something that tremendously bad performances can create an out.
Don't think any college coach would sign a contract with a so-called performance clause. And they shouldn't.

Of course, if he takes us back to the tournament next year, then he is a way better coach than we critics thought and, of course, he should continue to be our coach. I just don't think there is a chance in hell that is happening.

I love his recruiting- we will probably have the most talented team in NU history next year if we don‘t see mass transfers. Love the talent, but so far I see no signs that he knows how to gel them into a team or make them a fundamentally sound group.

Any real jumps in player development beyond what would be expected from natural growth year to year?

Is it too much to ask to see a smart team that understands how to execute?

Next year we will have a team of his players with a bunch of 3 and 4 year guys in his system so it should be tourney or the door.

I agree that next year will probably be make or break for Collins. Another reason for it that I haven't seen posted here: there's going to be a new AD making that decision. Assuming the AD gets hired soon, I find it highly doubtful that he or she would come in and immediately fire the head basketball coach. That would take a lot of balls -- and would require having a big-name hire in his or her pocket, ready to go. The new AD will probably take next year to evaluate Collins, with the added benefit of knocking a year off the contract they would have to eat.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Speaking of new AD it has been awfully quiet on that front . No rumors or timelines as far as I have seen

Speaking of new AD it has been awfully quiet on that front . No rumors or timelines as far as I have seen
Nothing, with Teddy no longer at the Trib we have little insight. Other than Lou information is sparse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT