ADVERTISEMENT

Nice Article on Grant Perry

corbi296

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2005
I think this kid will be a very solid contributor for NU. Looking forward to seeing him on the field for the Cats.

Grant Perry

I think (and hope) you're right. We've had pretty good success with kids that were relatively under recruited but put up absurd numbers in highschool. Sutton, for example, and to a lessor extent Jackson, who didn't have an offer list some would expect for the success he had.

Still somewhat worried about Michigan (and partially wonder if that's why we have two guys visited for the "last" spot -- always good to have backup plans).

Still only six recruits committed - and zero since Harbaugh's hire. Perhaps Harbaugh's reputation has proceeded him?

Harbaugh or no Harbaugh, it's only two weeks to signing day. He might flip a couple of people, but it's pretty late in the game at this point. We'll see how he does for 2016.

He'll flip plenty this year. Just check out some of the guys he has visiting this week.

Lets see what the number is after this weekend - big week of visits for them.

Bringing in the two is a little curious, feel like there is something there (or another schollie that we don't know about)

I imagine Harbaugh will flip a few, but many of the top recruits wait 'til the very end, so there is still time for UM to add some blue-chippers (tho Harbaugh and staff have had very little time).

Apparently, because of a small senior class, UM only has 8 more scholarships left to give. I don't think Harbaugh will have any difficulty getting that many kids to flip.

Two new commits on the board for Harbaugh and Michigan. He flipped Texas QB commit Zach Gentry ( a guy we offered), and he also flipped a DE from Florida who had previously committed to Nebraska. I don't condone the tactics or overall ethics, but the man clearly can coach and recruit.

This post was edited on 1/25 6:45 AM by corbi296

Perry looks great on tape. Should have had more interest from the big boys, but glad we got him. Stay away hardballs.

Texas basically encouraged Gentry to look around as they are flirting heavily with Kyler Murray who they think could start next year. Perry's QB Malzone has competition from Gentry and a 2016 4 star that has given a verbal. Michigan doesn't appear to be showing Perry the love and might be thinking they can swoop in at any time a grab him. Doubt the Malzone/Perry connection will have any bearing whether Michigan pursues Perry. Hardballs will continue to pursue the top 5 stars at all spots including WR. I hope Perry sees that coupled with Michigan's "fall back" stance makes NU a better option if they do make a late push. Perry will see the field at NU and I wouldn't be surprised if it is next year! Love these guys with something to prove to recruiting Pundits.

We never offered Malzone. He is a pocket passer and therefore is not a fit in our offense.

Sad if true. If there was a five star QB out there, take him and adjust your offence. Take the talent! Though Malzone is not listed as a "dual passer," the tape showed he could move around the pocket much better than the best QB we had the last few years. Pigeon-holing makes little sense at this point.

CITC, agree that NU should never pass on a legit 5*player. I would think that they would have taken Luck in a heartbeat.

Originally posted by Cat In The Cradle:
Sad if true. If there was a five star QB out there, take him and adjust your offence. Take the talent! Though Malzone is not listed as a "dual passer," the tape showed he could move around the pocket much better than the best QB we had the last few years. Pigeon-holing makes little sense at this point.
I thought all the bitching and moaning around here the past few years is that we haven't had a dual-threat QB at the helm. Taking a look at Malzone's senior highlights, it's pretty obvious that he's a pocket-only guy who wouldn't be any kind of threat to run the ball at the BCS level. Incidentially, I'm also not all that impressed with his throwing ability (guessing this is the reason Michigan kept going after Gentry) and can see why most of his offers aside from Michigan were at the MAC level. Even on Malzone's highlights, it seems like Perry is making the plays more than Malzone is repeatedly making spectacular throws -- it's occasionally difficult to tell whose highlights the tape is supposed to be.

Originally posted by willycat:

CITC, agree that NU should never pass on a legit 5*player. I would think that they would have taken Luck in a heartbeat.
I don't get the connection. Of course we would have taken Andrew Luck -- we were in his final five and actually finished second to Stanford after he took unofficial visits to both schools in June 2007.

gcg, while I don't know a thing about Malzone, I'm responding to a poster who stated that NU never offered because he was not a option type QB. Luck was also a pocket QB but I guess your point is that Malzone is a bit overrated thus why there was no NU offer.
This post was edited on 1/27 6:36 AM by willycat

Originally posted by willycat:
gcg, while I don't know a thing about Malzone, I responding to a poster a poster who stated that NU never offered because he was not a option type QB. Luck was also a pocket QB but I guess your point is that Malzone is a bit overrated thus why there was no NU offer.
While Luck may have been listed as a pro-style QB and doesn't have a reputation as a runner because he wasn't asked to do so all that much at Stanford (though he did have 957 career rushing yards, which includes sacks) or in the NFL, he's a much MUCH better athlete than people realize. These are his official Combine numbers:

Height: 6-4.0
Weight: 234
40: 4.67
Vertical: 36.0"
Broad Jump: 10-04
3-Cone Drill: 6.80
20-Yard Shuttle: 4.28

His 40 actually beat out Johnny Football and the broad jump (a great measure of explosiveness) was actually better than all but seven WRs at the 2012 combine (beating out guys like Michael Floyd, Jarrett Boykin, and Devier Posey). Those are all very good numbers for a pretty large dude.

Suffice to say, I am confident that he would have been an effective run threat in a true spread offense were he asked to do so. Malzone... not so sure.

This post was edited on 1/26 8:44 AM by gocatsgo2003

gocatsgo2003 posted on 1/26/2015...
I thought all the bitching and moaning around here the past few years is that we haven't had a dual-threat QB at the helm. Taking a look at Malzone's senior highlights, it's pretty obvious that he's a pocket-only guy who wouldn't be any kind of threat to run the ball at the BCS level. Incidentially, I'm also not all that impressed with his throwing ability (guessing this is the reason Michigan kept going after Gentry) and can see why most of his offers aside from Michigan were at the MAC level. Even on Malzone's highlights, it seems like Perry is making the plays more than Malzone is repeatedly making spectacular throws -- it's occasionally difficult to tell whose highlights the tape is supposed to be.

CITC Replies:

I was responding with alarm about how the over-classifications are seemingly affecting who we recruit. The distinction between pocket passers and dual threat quarterbacks? Seems superficial. Just because a guy can run and elude tackles shouldn't mean we'd prefer him over another guy with a rocket arm. Malzone wisely uses the scramble as a last option - when everyone downfield is already spread out - which makes him as dangerous as a Kain Colter type who typically ran first and asked questions later; Colter's highlight reel was quite impressive but his running yardage was pedestrian. In other words, the defense gives up more scrambling opportunities if they know a QB can through the ball - hell, Hackenberg's best plays from scrimmage this year were his scrambles. And Malzone runs almost as well as Sam Darnold, who we recruited earlier in the year, but maybe we did so because Darnold decided to call himself a "dual threat" QB?

This post was edited on 1/26 11:35 AM by Cat In The Cradle

This is all going in one direction. Why do people assume that if NU is willing to offer a great pocket passer who doesn't fit the current offense but will have the offense designed around him, said pocket passer would want to go where the personnel doesn't have experience and the coaches have been employing a different system? Wouldn't the 4- or 5-star pro-style QB want to go to a program with established expertise in that system?

I was responding with alarm about how the over-classifications are seemingly affecting who we recruit. The distinction between pocket passers and dual threat quarterbacks? Seems superficial. Just because a guy can run and elude tackles shouldn't mean we'd prefer him over another guy with a rocket arm. Malzone wisely uses the scramble as a last option - when everyone downfield is already spread out - which makes him as dangerous as a Kain Colter type who typically ran first and asked questions later; Colter's highlight reel was quite impressive but his running yardage was pedestrian. In other words, the defense gives up more scrambling opportunities if they know a QB can through the ball - hell, Hackenberg's best plays from scrimmage this year were his scrambles. And Malzone runs almost as well as Sam Darnold, who we recruited earlier in the year, but maybe we did so because Darnold decided to call himself a "dual threat" QB?
1) Do you honestly believe that the way a QB is classified either by himself or by the "gurus" on recruiting sites has anything to do with NU's decision on whether to recruit a QB?

2) "Malzone wisely uses the scramble as a last option - when everyone downfield is already spread out - which makes him as dangerous as a Kain Colter type who typically ran first and asked questions later" This statement is so backwards I don't even know where to start. Malzone is able to make plays while scrambling while playing middling competition in Michigan. Do you really think he's going to be able to do the same playing against BCS-level competition? Moreover, the whole point is that we need a QB who's a threat in designed running situations.

I would argue a little bit about Malzone playing middling competition in Michigan. It's true that Michigan isn't a great football state, and it's true that Brother Rice plays in Div. 2, but they play a really tough slate with respect to Michigan, and they travel to Chicago and Ohio as well. It's no Cass Tech or King, but those kids are well coached.

Originally posted by elgatoloco:
I would argue a little bit about Malzone playing middling competition in Michigan. It's true that Michigan isn't a great football state, and it's true that Brother Rice plays in Div. 2, but they play a really tough slate with respect to Michigan, and they travel to Chicago and Ohio as well. It's no Cass Tech or King, but those kids are well coached.
The key phrases are:

1) "with respect to Michigan" The problem is more that the state of Michigan as a whole is middling (and playing a 7-5 Chicago/Brother Rice, 4-6 Pickerington/North, and 2-8 Toledo/St. John's isn't exactly an out-of-state Murderer's Row).

2) "those kids are well coached." This is the knock on many kids that come out of Detroit's Catholic League -- they're often somewhat limited athletically and able to perform at a high level both individually and as a team in high school due to superior coaching. That means they're often low-ceiling/high-floor type recruits.

Yes, those were basically my points, too. I was just distinguishing between middling relative to states that produce more talent (Ohio, Florida, Texas) and middling for Michigan.

Originally posted by gocatsgo2003:

1) Do you honestly believe that the way a QB is classified either by himself or by the "gurus" on recruiting sites has anything to do with NU's decision on whether to recruit a QB?

2) "Malzone wisely uses the scramble as a last option - when everyone downfield is already spread out - which makes him as dangerous as a Kain Colter type who typically ran first and asked questions later" This statement is so backwards I don't even know where to start. Malzone is able to make plays while scrambling while playing middling competition in Michigan. Do you really think he's going to be able to do the same playing against BCS-level competition? Moreover, the whole point is that we need a QB who's a threat in designed running situations.

Too much is made of the designation, but the staff has shown the willingness to offer a more polished passing pocket type QB (who can scramble and run some).

They aren't looking strictly for dual-threats, and probably would take the more polished passer over a DT QB who needs work in the passing game.

I'm done here

Delete - offer was given that I could not refuse

This post was edited on 1/27 8:27 AM by Cat In The Cradle

Re: I'm done here

No, I honestly do not know. One presumes a certain degree of decision-making inertia clouding judgment at times but maybe that isn't the case here. I don't know. One also figures that recruit evaluators are not infallible. But maybe they are. I'm not sure. Maybe I'd like their advice on matters beyond the world of recruiting. For instance, the stock market. Or what will emerge out of Yemen.

2) "Malzone wisely uses the scramble as a last option - when everyone downfield is already spread out - which makes him as dangerous as a Kain Colter type who typically ran first and asked questions later"[/I] This statement is so backwards I don't even know where to start. Malzone is able to make plays while scrambling while playing middling competition in Michigan. Do you really think he's going to be able to do the same playing against BCS-level competition? Moreover, the whole point is that we need a QB who's a threat in designed running situations.

I've used a mirror to decipher backward written characters before. That may work here. Let's try with your statement: "Start to where know even don't I . . ." Ah yes. Interchange a few homonyms and grammatical flourishes and all becomes clear: The board has "started to wear now. Even I don't" want to post anymore.

I'm canceling my subscription and fading into internet oblivion, a place where all posters must wade into some day never to return.

Take care all and Go Cats!
The answer is "absolutely not." The NU recruiting office (and every recruiting office in every BCS program in the country) couldn't care less whether some kid is labeled as a "pro-style" or "dual threat" by some random guy on the internet.

Don't leave!

Your posts are often very entertaining! I think so, anyway. How am I going to expand my vocabulary if you leave?

This post was edited on 1/28 4:22 AM by Gladeskat

Stretch Your Dollar

They won't let you go even if you try. And I tried. Call the 800 number and it's received by an affable guy, a man with a certain je ne sais quoi, sitting inside a cubicle in Denver, Colorado. Say you're a long time subscriber but the "dead period" for college football inflicted too much pain . . . and with the seasonable mood disorder intensifying and the ineffective rationing of what meager meds and liquor there are left, fate has compelled you to pull the trigger on cancellation. The sales representative calmly confers authority on himself to allow you three free months . . . about enough time for you to forget your angst . . . and so the circle of life continues.

Re: You have a legitimate concern.

Absolutely brutal. Harbag will have his pick of anyone we might want to recruit in Michigan...might as well never go there again.

Understand your point but can you blame the kid for choosing Michigan? They have a much better story (legacy and future) with a much better product offering. IMO, not even close.....

As a Northwestern fan and alum, of course I can! If I'm so willing to capitulate and devalue my program, then what's the point?

Northwestern came in and recruited Grant hard...they wanted him on campus. Michigan threw him a crumb as their time was winding down and desperation ramping up. I know how I'd rather be treated.

Has Michigan offered or is this just speculation?

Originally posted by cat inkansas:
Has Michigan offered or is this just speculation?
Haven't seen any public confirmation from the kid or his coaches, but it's bouncing all over the place. Not exactly surprised, but definitely disappointed. Always thought Michigan figured they could come to him a couple days before Signing Day and still remain confident that he would flip.

Originally posted by lonestarmvp:

Understand your point but can you blame the kid for choosing Michigan? They have a much better story (legacy and future) with a much better product offering. IMO, not even close.....
I don't know why you spend so much time here, unless you're the family or friend of a current NU player/student, but your posts are almost always downbeat and disgruntled. Northwestern is a better academic institution than Michigan, and coupled with Harbaugh's (alleged) history of screwing over football student-athletes, I think there are plenty of good reasons for choosing NU over Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT