ADVERTISEMENT

Niswander's punting

sprinkler2

Aug 31, 2007
Thought he did a great job yesterday. 2nd qtr punt into the wind was terrific and the fourth quarter punt that pinned Minn deep was awesome. Had one short punt get into the end zone, but he only missed that one but a couple of yards and he still has some backspin on that ball.

NU currently ranks fourth in the conference in net punting yardage at 38.5 net yards per punt. According to the Big 10 website, we have allowed negative 8 yards of punt returns after five games! (Please excuse Wrassleresque exclamation point.)

Is this because Nisander's hang time is so great or because our punt coverage is so good?

Personally, I think Niswander has been underrated this year.

Tressel ball - Fitz likes. Run the ball, tough defense, play keep away, punt the ball effectively

Congrats to Hunter and the coverage team. Cannot complain about the punting this season. Compare this to the Duke guy who had a huge leg but lost 20 yards every time the ball went into the end zone........

The leg on the kid from Duke was incredible. If he can learn how to put some touch on the ball and some of the other fine points that make punting a true skill, he could have a future in the NFL. Definitely no issues with his leg strength.

In regards to NU...I think Niswander has done a nice job this year. And our punt return coverage is insanely good. Long and Hartage are great gunners. Probably the best gunners I have seen us have since Jeravin Matthews, who was absolutely fantastic in that area.

Could have been his best game yet.
Can he kickoff? Except for one kickoff into the end zone with the wind the others were less then average, while the Minny kicker boomed them into the end zone. The kickoffs into the wind were also weak and yes I realize these were on orders from Fitz. Lightly booted kick the initially land at around the 35 yard line give up way to much field position. If your going to bounce them, then kick then hard so that they have a chance of getting to at least the 20.

Could have been his best game yet.
Can he kickoff? Except for one kickoff into the end zone with the wind the others were less then average, while the Minny kicker boomed them into the end zone. The kickoffs into the wind were also weak and yes I realize these were on orders from Fitz. Lightly booted kick the initially land at around the 35 yard line give up way to much field position. If your going to bounce them, then kick then hard so that they have a chance of getting to at least the 20.

Can he kickoff? Except for one kickoff into the end zone with the wind the others were less then average, while the Minny kicker boomed them into the end zone.

As Minny did not score any points, the only Minnesota kickoff was at the start of the second half, when they had the wind.

'Cats tied for 13th in sacks allowed (4 in 5 games) - quite the turnaround w/ a reworked O-line.

Also, 'Cats 14th in rushing O (albeit, ypc is a bit lower than most of the other top rushing teams).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT