ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Power 5 Teams Reportedly Unhappy with Proposed NCAA Settlement

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
https://www.espn.com/college-sports...an-house-v-ncaa-case-irks-non-power-5-schools

"This is incredibly unfair and has a dramatic impact. I'm losing about 10% of my operating budget. Do I cut two staff members in order for money to go to Zion Williamson? Ninety percent of the money in the suit projects to go to Power 5 football and men's basketball players. The 40% payment for the power conference isn't proportionate."

And what the article doesn't say is that these schools surely will have to account for Title IX challenges, too, because the lawyers are coming because that's what lawyers do.

I always love these one-sided stories. What is not said is that this is a distribution of revenue that comes almost entirely from the Power conferences and get distributed to the lower conferences. So basically, they are cutting off funds that the Power conferences GIVE to the other conferences. Those conferences do not make enough revenue to pay for their own budgets. It sucks but without the Power conferences, the rest of the NCAA would be broke quickly. The alternative would be for the P4 to break away from the NCAA, pay the settlement and keep all the money they now give to those conferences.

I always love these one-sided stories. What is not said is that this is a distribution of revenue that comes almost entirely from the Power conferences and get distributed to the lower conferences. So basically, they are cutting off funds that the Power conferences GIVE to the other conferences. Those conferences do not make enough revenue to pay for their own budgets. It sucks but without the Power conferences, the rest of the NCAA would be broke quickly. The alternative would be for the P4 to break away from the NCAA, pay the settlement and keep all the money they now give to those conferences.
This settlement is "back-pay" (?) of would-be NIL money to athletes who played in the pre-NIL landscape. 90% of these funds will go to those who played at Power 5 schools, the top athletes who would presumably benefit the most from NIL deals. These schools enjoy the supposed windfalls of having these athletes play on their teams; the other 27 conferences do not.

Reactions: hoosboot
One partial remedy for Title IX is to get rid of all other men's varsity sports.
That has always been my argument against this madness: that it will result in fewer scholarship opportunities for would-be student-athletes. For if not to provide opportunities for educational attainment, then I don't understand why supposed institutions of learning are in this business at all.

Reactions: Sheffielder
This settlement is "back-pay" (?) of would-be NIL money to athletes who played in the pre-NIL landscape. 90% of these funds will go to those who played at Power 5 schools, the top athletes who would presumably benefit the most from NIL deals. These schools enjoy the supposed windfalls of having these athletes play on their teams; the other 27 conferences do not.
The question is where is the money coming from and the P5 conferences decided to cut some of the payments they currently GIVE to the other conferences. Sucks to be the other conferences but the revenue is generated from the P5 conferences.

If I GIVE you $100 million a year and then decide to only GIVE you $80 million, you could gripe or be grateful that you still get the $80 million.

As far as I am concern, the less money that the big ten conference has to pay means less money NU will pay. That is my concern. I don’t care about the budget of Stoneybrook or Missouri State.

The question is where is the money coming from and the P5 conferences decided to cut some of the payments they currently GIVE to the other conferences. Sucks to be the other conferences but the revenue is generated from the P5 conferences.

If I GIVE you $100 million a year and then decide to only GIVE you $80 million, you could gripe or be grateful that you still get the $80 million.

As far as I am concern, the less money that the big ten conference has to pay means less money NU will pay. That is my concern. I don’t care about the budget of Stoneybrook or Missouri State.
If Stony Brook and Missouri State have to start cutting programs, and therefore scholarships, to make ends meet so that Power 4 conferences can heap riches upon their professional players, I think this is a net negative to the scholarly mission of the university system.

If Stony Brook and Missouri State have to start cutting programs, and therefore scholarships, to make ends meet so that Power 4 conferences can heap riches upon their professional players, I think this is a net negative to the scholarly mission of the university system.
The P4 conferences could also decide to leave the NCAA and totally kill the budgets of all of those conferences. That would be a major blow to all sports. When you MAKE the money, you have the right to decide how to distribute it.

Reactions: ricko654321
The P4 conferences could also decide to leave the NCAA and totally kill the budgets of all of those conferences. That would be a major blow to all sports. When you MAKE the money, you have the right to decide how to distribute it.
The P4 conferences didn't emerge in a vacuum. Many G5 (and FCS, for that matter) schools have been playing in the same league for a century or more. The recent innovation where a cartel of certain conferences formed an "Alliance" (capital A for the Alliance Bowls, later the BCS) to arrange two of them to play in a National Championship Game, to the express exclusion, for a long time, of the non-Cartel schools (and, initially, the pesky Rose Bowl), is a fairly recent innovation, a monopolistic feedback loop that widened the gulf between those who have and those who have not. Even now, the "Power" conferences are each guaranteed an automatic bid to the lucrative bowls, whereas the rest must make do with the single guaranteed bid (not necessarily a playoff) that they share between them. And for this arrangement the haves deign to cast before the have nots whatever minimum pittance their lawyers instruct to prop up the facade of fairness, from which it has now been negotiated for the have nots (ostensibly on their behalf) that they must further reserve some percentage to pay for the Power conferences' professional players.

The P4 conferences didn't emerge in a vacuum. Many G5 (and FCS, for that matter) schools have been playing in the same league for a century or more. The recent innovation where a cartel of certain conferences formed an "Alliance" (capital A for the Alliance Bowls, later the BCS) to arrange two of them to play in a National Championship Game, to the express exclusion, for a long time, of the non-Cartel schools (and, initially, the pesky Rose Bowl), is a fairly recent innovation, a monopolistic feedback loop that widened the gulf between those who have and those who have not. Even now, the "Power" conferences are each guaranteed an automatic bid to the lucrative bowls, whereas the rest must make do with the single guaranteed bid (not necessarily a playoff) that they share between them. And for this arrangement the haves deign to cast before the have nots whatever minimum pittance their lawyers instruct to prop up the facade of fairness, from which it has now been negotiated for the have nots (ostensibly on their behalf) that they must further reserve some percentage to pay for the Power conferences' professional players.
Let’s stop talking “pie in the sky” and get down to actual numbers. So, you want Northwestern to pay an additional 2.5-3 million per year so that Stoneybrook keeps its budget? That is on top of the $2 million or so we will pay under the settlement. That means almost $5 million out of our athletic department per year for 10 years. Is that what you want?

Please, send your contribution check to cover the added expense. I rather have Stoneybrook give up their swimming program than for our University to bear the entire weight of the settlement.

Let’s stop talking “pie in the sky” and get down to actual numbers. So, you want Northwestern to pay an additional 2.5-3 million per year so that Stoneybrook keeps its budget? That is on top of the $2 million or so we will pay under the settlement. That means almost $5 million out of our athletic department per year for 10 years. Is that what you want?

Please, send your contribution check to cover the added expense. I rather have Stoneybrook give up their swimming program than for our University to bear the entire weight of the settlement.
Just a reminder whom you're talking to:

https://northwestern.forums.rivals....western-revisit-joining-the-ivy-league.57733/

You still think there’s a “scholarly mission” to FBS-level football and D1 basketball. How precious.

This is all pretty fascinating, and I dare say, the beginning of the end for the NCAA. The divide has simply become too great between schools that are modestly fielding athletic programs for their students compared to those running major/financially valuable entertainment operations.

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily taking the non-P4 side of this argument...but without an intricate understanding of things, you have to be suspicious if the Big Ten is saying, "yup, this looks good to us - let's do it!"

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...an-house-v-ncaa-case-irks-non-power-5-schools

"This is incredibly unfair and has a dramatic impact. I'm losing about 10% of my operating budget. Do I cut two staff members in order for money to go to Zion Williamson? Ninety percent of the money in the suit projects to go to Power 5 football and men's basketball players. The 40% payment for the power conference isn't proportionate."

And what the article doesn't say is that these schools surely will have to account for Title IX challenges, too, because the lawyers are coming because that's what lawyers do.
Tough shit!

If these babies complain about the cost of their education then they should find a cheaper one.

I like free markets, and monopolies are antithetical to free markets.

Don't know where you've been living the past 40 years, but pretty much every industry has seen massive consolidation.

And not paying players what they are worth and restricting their movenent is also antithetical to free markets (where the largess disproportionately went to coaches and administrators), but you long had no problem with that.

Don't know where you've been living the past 40 years, but pretty much every industry has seen massive consolidation.

And not paying players what they are worth and restricting their movenent is also antithetical to free markets (where the largess disproportionately went to coaches and administrators), but you long had no problem with that.
I'm perfectly fine with letting them join professional leagues whenever they want. I would never restrict that.

Reactions: hoosboot
^ CFB coaches get paid the same as NFL coaches (and more than other professional leagues) because it's already a "professional league" - just one with really cheap labor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT