ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern All-NFL Team

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Carrying over from another thread, what do you think should be the Northwestern All-NFL team?

OFFENSE
QB - Otto Graham
RB - Ron Burton (6 seasons)
FB - Bob Christian
WR - Curtis Duncan (7 seasons, 1x Pro Bowl, 322 receptions, 12.2 YPC, 20 TD)
WR - Paul Flatley (1963 ROY, 8 seasons, '66 Pro Bowl)
TE - Steve Craig
C - Jack Rudnay
G - Cas Banaszek
G - Matt O'Dwyer
T - Chris Hinton
T - Zach Strief

DEFENSE
DE - Dean Lowry
DE - Corey Wootton
DT - Luis Castillo
DT - Barry Cofield, Tyler Lancaster
MLB - Anthony Walker Jr
LB - Napoleon Harris III
LB - Barry Gardner (MLB at NU but played OLB in pros)
CB - Irv Cross (9 seasons, 2x Pro Bowl, 22 Int, 2 TD)
CB - Sherrick McManis
S - Pete Shaw (8 seasons, 12 int)
S - Dick Alban (1952-9, 1x Pro Bowl, 30 Int)

SPECIAL TEAMS
PK -
Punter - John Kidd
Returner - Steve Tasker

Some positions didn't have strong candidates, starting with PK - did we ever have a player who kicked in the NFL? Can't think of any off the top of my head. Also, running back and TE definitely has opportunity for improvement. Perhaps JJTBC will someday displace Burton? Garrett Dickerson at TE? Ifeadi over Wootton?

Reactions: NUCat320
Carrying over from another thread, what do you think should be the Northwestern All-NFL team?

OFFENSE
QB - Otto Graham
FB - Bob Christian
TE - Steve Craig
C - Jack Rudnay
G - Cas Banaszek
G - Matt O'Dwyer
T - Chris Hinton
T - Zach Strief

DEFENSE
DE - Dean Lowry
DE - Corey Wootton
DT - Luis Castillo
MLB - Anthony Walker Jr
LB - Napoleon Harris III
CB - Sherrick McManis

SPECIAL TEAMS
PK -
Punter - John Kidd
Returner - Steve Tasker

Some positions didn't have strong candidates, starting with PK - did we ever have a player who kicked in the NFL? Can't think of any off the top of my head. Also, running back and TE definitely has opportunity for improvement. Perhaps JJTBC will someday displace Burton? Garrett Dickerson at TE? Ifeadi over Wootton?

Jason Wright played 7 seasons in the NFL to Burton’s 6 in the AFL so it seems like he may have the longest NFL career. Not sure why folks continue to overlook him, he is basically the poster child for what we want an NU athlete to be.

OFFENSE
QB - Otto Graham
FB - Bob Christian
TE - Steve Craig
C - Jack Rudnay
G - Cas Banaszek
G - Matt O'Dwyer
T - Chris Hinton
T - Zach Strief

DEFENSE
DE - Dean Lowry
DE - Corey Wootton
DT - Luis Castillo
MLB - Anthony Walker Jr
LB - Napoleon Harris III
CB - Sherrick McManis

SPECIAL TEAMS
PK -
Punter - John Kidd
Returner - Steve Tasker

Lots of recent talent!

Jason Wright played 7 seasons in the NFL to Burton’s 6 in the AFL so it seems like he may have the longest NFL career. Not sure why folks continue to overlook him, he is basically the poster child for what we want an NU athlete to be.
Agreed

I like McManis, but have to suggest Fred “The Hammer” Williamson at cornerback with 36 career interceptions, 2 times all pro.

Good call. The Hammer had a stellar career mainly in the AFL and played in Super Bowl I for the KC Chiefs.

Jason Wright deserves all the praise and was a great RB for NU, but if you look at his NFL career, he was basically a journeyman. Mike Adamle actually had a better NFL career.

Adamle: 6 seasons, 308 carries for 1,149 yds 3.7 avg. 4 TD
Wright: 7 seasons, 168 carries for 633 yds, 3.8 avg. 2 TD

Jason was a better pass catching weapon than Adamle, but that is also a function of the offense he played in.

Some positions didn't have strong candidates, starting with PK - did we ever have a player who kicked in the NFL? Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Gowins is the only one, as far as I know. However, Paddy Driscoll, our only other Hall of Famer (as a QB/HB), was considered one of the best drop-kickers of all time. As a Hall of Famer, he deserves a spot on this roster, so why not have this All-NU team be really unorthodox on special teams?

Reactions: DaCat
Gowins is the only one, as far as I know. However, Paddy Driscoll, our only other Hall of Famer (as a QB/HB), was considered one of the best drop-kickers of all time. As a Hall of Famer, he deserves a spot on this roster, so why not have this All-NU team be really unorthodox on special teams?

Good point. Paddy Driscoll indeed needs to be recognized. He is listed as a QB on the 1920s All-Decade team but perhaps was more like a running back and as you mention was one of the greatest drop kickers. I don't know if that would translate into placekicker in today's game.

Jason Wright deserves all the praise and was a great RB for NU, but if you look at his NFL career, he was basically a journeyman. Mike Adamle actually had a better NFL career.

Adamle: 6 seasons, 308 carries for 1,149 yds 3.7 avg. 4 TD
Wright: 7 seasons, 168 carries for 633 yds, 3.8 avg. 2 TD

Jason was a better pass catching weapon than Adamle, but that is also a function of the offense he played in.

fair enough. Point being that JW has a 7 yr NFL career and isn’t even mentioned. He was also left off the best NU RB poll. His life on and off the field stacks up with just about any NU football player of all time other that Otto Graham so interesting that he keeps getting overlooked in these discussions.

fair enough. Point being that JW has a 7 yr NFL career and isn’t even mentioned. He was also left off the best NU RB poll. His life on and off the field stacks up with just about any NU football player of all time other that Otto Graham so interesting that he keeps getting overlooked in these discussions.

As do Rob Taylor and Darryl Ashmore who managed to sustain 10 year pro careers on the OL. Glad to see Curtis Duncan getting some love. But Tasker deserves more. Aside from Hinton, he had the only dominant NFL career in modern times.

Good point. Paddy Driscoll indeed needs to be recognized. He is listed as a QB on the 1920s All-Decade team but perhaps was more like a running back and as you mention was one of the greatest drop kickers. I don't know if that would translate into placekicker in today's game.

Would love to see Paddy Fisher attempt a drop kick in our final game of the season vs. the Pumpkinheads.

As do Rob Taylor and Darryl Ashmore who managed to sustain 10 year pro careers on the OL. Glad to see Curtis Duncan getting some love. But Tasker deserves more. Aside from Hinton, he had the only dominant NFL career in modern times.

Tasker was outstanding, for both NU as a JUCO transfer and in the NFL.

The longest NFL career belongs to punter John Kidd with 15 seasons. I remember watching him bail us out many times (temporarily) with booming punts from the shadow of his own end zone during the Dark Ages. It turned out to be good preparation for him to play in the League.

Reactions: nu greek

OFFENSE
QB - Otto Graham
FB - Bob Christian
TE - Steve Craig
C - Jack Rudnay
G - Cas Banaszek
G - Matt O'Dwyer
T - Chris Hinton
T - Zach Strief

DEFENSE
DE - Dean Lowry
DE - Corey Wootton
DT - Luis Castillo
MLB - Anthony Walker Jr
LB - Napoleon Harris III
CB - Sherrick McManis

SPECIAL TEAMS
PK -
Punter - John Kidd
Returner - Steve Tasker

I would say that Bentley had a better NFL career than Gardner. I remember Gardner mostly on special teams outside of replacing an injured player in 2 years. Bentley was a regular for maybe 10 years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Northwestern_Wildcats_in_the_NFL_Draft

Reactions: DaCat
I would say that Bentley had a better NFL career than Gardner. I remember Gardner mostly on special teams outside of replacing an injured player in 2 years. Bentley was a regular for maybe 10 years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Northwestern_Wildcats_in_the_NFL_Draft

You make a good point. Bentley played 10 years, but mostly as a backup except for his second season (started 14 of 16 games). Gardner played 7 years, and also was a backup except for his second season (started 13 of 16). But Bentley did have the better overall career, I agree.

Most years played in the NFL, with the year entered the league:

15 years
  • John Kidd P 1984
13 years
  • Chris Hinton T-G 1983
  • Jack Rudnay C 1970
  • Steve Tasker ST 1985
12 years
  • Zach Strief G-T 2006
10 years
  • Cas Banaszek G 1968
  • Kevin Bentley LB 2002
  • Hank Bruder RB 1931
  • Bob Christian FB 1992
  • Barry Cofield DT 2006
  • Paddy Driscoll HB-QB-K 1920
  • Tiny Engebretsen T-G 1932
  • Otto Graham QB 1946
  • Sherrick McManis DB 2010
  • Matt O'Dwyer G 1995
  • Ray Wietecha C 1953
  • George Wilson DE 1937

We've had some good players.

Last edited:
Good call. The Hammer had a stellar career mainly in the AFL and played in Super Bowl I for the KC Chiefs.

And he gets extra bonus points for playing Oliver “Spearchucker” Jones in the movie version of MASH, where he could show off his prowess both as a football player and an actor!

Reactions: Gladeskat
Barry Pearson played for the Steelers and Chiefs. I believe he was the intended receiver on "The Immaculate Reception"

Great memories by all the folks in this string. I had forgotten about John Kidd and Tasker. Also, how could we overlook Adamle initially? Kudos to everyone who has chimed in.

I read through his Wikipedia page... he’s had a fascinating career.

He may have the distinction to be the only former Cat to pose for Playgirl. He also starred in a couple of movies whose titles I could never repeat.

The 70s must have been interesting to live through.

Reactions: eastbaycat99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT