ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern publishes report by Loretta Lynch on culture of athletics

Fitz is going to be very wealthy!
A comment from TOS

"That probe did not find "sufficient" evidence that the coaching staff knew about ongoing hazing but concluded there were "significant opportunities" to find out about it." That's the most important part in terms of protecting themselves legally. The probe found that Fitz should have known, and now they have evidence of that in court.

A comment from TOS

"That probe did not find "sufficient" evidence that the coaching staff knew about ongoing hazing but concluded there were "significant opportunities" to find out about it." That's the most important part in terms of protecting themselves legally. The probe found that Fitz should have known, and now they have evidence of that in court.

An after-the-fact CYA report commissioned by the NU administration does a lot of work trying to do CYA? Weird. Never would have guessed.

EDIT TO UPDATE: where does it actually say that in the report? I did a quick search and didn’t find it.

A comment from TOS

Are your quotations of "sufficient" and "significant opportunities" from the Loretta Lynch report? Like @gocatsgo2003, I was unable to find mention of these phrases in either the Executive Summary or the full report.

An after-the-fact CYA report commissioned by the NU administration does a lot of work trying to do CYA? Weird. Never would have guessed.

EDIT TO UPDATE: where does it actually say that in the report? I did a quick search and didn’t find it.
It’s not in the report.

There were two parts of the report I found interesting.

The first is the fact that “the sports administrator is the initial point of contact on all issues related to their respective sports program”. Sports administrators are members of the athletic department staff. The sports administrator is then responsible for bringing issues related to bullying or hazing to the attention of the coach.

The second is where it talks about lack of written rules and changing norms have made coaches hesitant about enforcing any team disciplinary actions and that has led to student-athlete leadership enforcing the team disciplinary rules.

No where in the written University or Athletic department policies does it say the coach must proactively seek out issues reported to the University or athletic department concerning their program. In fact, the report clearly states that per University policy on hazing, any athletic department staff member who receives a complaint about hazing must report it directly to the University. It also states that coaches do not talk to any non-athletic staff to avoid the appearance of influencing the academic status of student-athletes.

It seems that people on staff who received any complaint about hazing should have told the sports administrator (who should have reported any issue to the coach) and the university. It is not clear whether, the sports administrator for the football program was given any information. Somewhere in there, the system failed and it seems like it is pointing toward the athletic department for failure to investigate and notify when they receive complaints. I’m beginning to wonder if the Gragg move, a week before the report was made public, was a response to the report itself. They will never say it, but the timing is oddly coincidental.

Last edited:
The truth: this report is a crock of shit paid for by Northwestern’s BOT.

Fitz, Gragg, and Schill all deserved to be fired. Only one was.

Bring it on, baby.

Jesus, what a colossal waste of money. I thought some people here assumed this report would ID some of the perpetrators of this alleged scandal. Fitz is gone, nothing to see here.

A comment from TOS

Found it… this is a quote from Rittenberg’s piece, referring to the initial investigation before Fitz’s hire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT