ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern starting to show up in bowl projections thread

Tenn, please not. When we played them before, those inbreds actually took over the free Board. Comments were so outlandish that 10 days before the game I quit reading the board.
FloridaAlum had to ban a bunch of them.

Not to mention that at least two of my kids would show up rooting for the wrong team.

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin
Tenn, please not. When we played them before, those inbreds actually took over the free Board. Comments were so outlandish that 10 days before the game I quit reading the board.
The one and only time I've rooted for MichiGag. Sitting amongst those TN yahoos singing Rocky Top and chanting SEC!. Meanwhile, up the road in Orlando, MichiGag was kicking Florida 's ass. I gritted my teeth and shouted "Go Blue!"

Not a good day in my life.

• Haha
So that's 4 projections to 4 different bowls.
Not a surprise. Big Ten could have as many as 6 teams all with 6-6 records and theoretically as many as 11 bowl-eligible teams.

After the top 4 teams (Mich or OSU to playoff, loser to NY6), PSU to NY6/Citrus, and Iowa to Citrus/Reliquest (f/k/a Outback) it’s a wide open field.

Selection order is Music City, Las Vegas, Pinstripe (New York), Guaranteed Rate (Phoenix), Quick Lane (Detroit), and field (filling otherwise unused spot from another conference partner).

Not a surprise. Big Ten could have as many as 6 teams all with 6-6 records and theoretically as many as 11 bowl-eligible teams.

After the top 4 teams (Mich or OSU to playoff, loser to NY6), PSU to NY6/Citrus, and Iowa to Citrus/Reliquest (f/k/a Outback) it’s a wide open field.

Selection order is Music City, Las Vegas, Pinstripe (New York), Guaranteed Rate (Phoenix), Quick Lane (Detroit), and field (filling otherwise unused spot from another conference partner).
It’s going to be a long year for the B1G in bowl season.

This is just the information I was looking for. Thank you.

NU wins out and you’d think they wouldn’t fall any lower than Guaranteed Rate. Would think they’d have a good shot at Nashville again or Las Vegas — very easy to make a case that NU is the front runner in the West with BB healthy — but I have to wonder if the bowls have concerns after the off-season drama. Let’s hope not.

This is just the information I was looking for. Thank you.

NU wins out and you’d think they wouldn’t fall any lower than Guaranteed Rate. Would think they’d have a good shot at Nashville again or Las Vegas — very easy to make a case that NU is the front runner in the West with BB healthy — but I have to wonder if the bowls have concerns after the off-season drama. Let’s hope not.
If the bowls are truly free to choose, our horrific attendance will sway them. The MD game looked like MACtion, and the Wrigley game was embarrassing, fans wise

If the bowls are truly free to choose, our horrific attendance will sway them. The MD game looked like MACtion, and the Wrigley game was embarrassing, fans wise

Yeah. I don't think the scandal itself will damage our bowl prospects, but this will be a big problem.

Our attendance at bowl games has always been a positive for the committees. We’ve always had strong, impressive showings.
We haven’t been to a bowl in a couple of years and most couldn’t attend the last one due to the pandemic.

I would expect really strong purple attendance at a bowl, should we make it.

Our attendance at bowl games has always been a positive for the committees. We’ve always had strong, impressive showings.
We haven’t been to a bowl in a couple of years and most couldn’t attend the last one due to the pandemic.

I would expect really strong purple attendance at a bowl, should we make it.
I would expect the same. With many alums going in the hopes they can give Gragg and Schill a piece of their mind. I know I would.

My perception of Northwestern for bowl games is that we travel well to "destination cities" and we are a very good story this season - the stench of the scandal seems to be giving way to the relative improvement of the team from the past two years and what a job Braun has done as interim. As the season concludes, I think we are trending upwards while teams like Minny, Maryland, and Wisconsin are confronted by disappointed fan bases.

That being said...Miami? Tennessee? MAC champs? I don't love our pool of possible opponents all of whom will be playing with chips on their shoulders.

Don’t assume alums will travel this year.

There are thousands pissed at NU and have broken off all alliance with the university. People who used to bleed purple want nothing to do with the university.

Location and date will have a bigger impact this year than just making a bowl game.

Don’t assume alums will travel this year.

There are thousands pissed at NU and have broken off all alliance with the university. People who used to bleed purple want nothing to do with the university.

Location and date will have a bigger impact this year than just making a bowl game.
What’s a big deal to the University is if these thousands of pissed Alums don’t drop anymore coin into NU’s coffers. Taking it out on the team that stuck through this schools Sh*Tshow seems to be misplaced anger.

I understand but Northwestern is everything from the administration to the daily to sports teams.

There are thousands of irate alums.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ESPN's two prognosticators have spoken:

Pinstripe Bowl vs Miami

and

Guaranteed Rate Bowl (that's in Phoenix) vs Kansas

This indicates that no one really has a clue. If we win out that’ll shake things up even more.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Does anybody follow the mac?? Who would we play if we play at Ford field detroit?? Their conference champ?? I intend to go with wife. My mom went to a Mac team school. She and I are really curious

Does anybody follow the mac?? Who would we play I'd we play at Ford field detroit?? Their conference champ?? I intend to go with wife. My mom went to a Mac team school. She and I are really curious
Last time we played in the Detroit bowl, we played against a top-25 Bowling Green team, so the draw was actually pretty tough that time.

This time, we might get to avenge last season's loss against Miami (OH).

Does anybody follow the mac?? Who would we play if we play at Ford field detroit?? Their conference champ?? I intend to go with wife. My mom went to a Mac team school. She and I are really curious
Google is your friend.

Toledo (9-1) leads the MAC West, MOH (8-2) leads the MAC East.

The Quick Lane Bowl does not get the MAC champion like the Motor City Bowl used to, and they've never had the MAC championship loser, either. So it's less likely we'd get Toledo or Miami and more likely we'd get someone like Ohio or Bowling Green or Central Michigan.

The Quick Lane Bowl does not get the MAC champion like the Motor City Bowl used to, and they've never had the MAC championship loser, either. So it's less likely we'd get Toledo or Miami and more likely we'd get someone like Ohio or Bowling Green or Central Michigan.
So would the match up make us favored to win?? More difficult than utep?

So would the match up make us favored to win?? More difficult than utep?

I think we'd be favored against any mid-tier MAC team you care to name, yes. But it would likely be more difficult than UTEP, who are currently 3-7 playing in the worst conference in the country.

Reactions: rmndcat
My perception of Northwestern for bowl games is that we travel well to "destination cities" and we are a very good story this season - the stench of the scandal seems to be giving way to the relative improvement of the team from the past two years and what a job Braun has done as interim. As the season concludes, I think we are trending upwards while teams like Minny, Maryland, and Wisconsin are confronted by disappointed fan bases.

That being said...Miami? Tennessee? MAC champs? I don't love our pool of possible opponents all of whom will be playing with chips on their shoulders.

Think I mentioned this before, but was working on something for the team back in the late 2000s and I had to chat with some of the representatives of a lower-tier bowl game. Their response was - "We are the biggest Northwestern fans ever- we hope they go to the Rose Bowl every year!"

So that is how bowl games think of us.

My assumption is lowest possible bowl unless we've been their recently. So Quick Lane, Phoenix and other non-affiliated most likely in play if we finish 6-6.

Also looking forward to Illinois (most likely) having to beat us to go to a bowl game - hopefully it will end better than last time.

Think I mentioned this before, but was working on something for the team back in the late 2000s and I had to chat with some of the representatives of a lower-tier bowl game. Their response was - "We are the biggest Northwestern fans ever- we hope they go to the Rose Bowl every year!"

My assumption is lowest possible bowl unless we've been their recently. So Quick Lane, Phoenix and other non-affiliated most likely in play if we finish 6-6.

Also looking forward to Illinois (most likely) having to beat us to go to a bowl game - hopefully it will end better than last time.
I think we have a legitimate chance of winning the last two games to finish at 7-5. That would put us in second place in the B1G West at 5-4 and bump us up the bowl food chain.

Reactions: No Chores

Whose "we" in that sentence? Bowl reps in general, or bowl reps from his particular game? I could interpret that as "we think Northwestern in bowl games is a fine thing" or "we hope Northwestern never falls low enough that we have to take them". It's a bit ambiguous.

Whose "we" in that sentence? Bowl reps in general, or bowl reps from his particular game? I could interpret that as "we think Northwestern in bowl games is a fine thing" or "we hope Northwestern never falls low enough that we have to take them". It's a bit ambiguous.

"we" were the bowl reps for that specific game, but it was a sentiment shared by many other bowl reps as well for other games. They were saying they hope to never have to take NU.

Reactions: pnt16
ESPN's two prognosticators have spoken:

Pinstripe Bowl vs Miami

and

Guaranteed Rate Bowl (that's in Phoenix) vs Kansas

A hate that bowl games are named after things like a mortgage company or a brand produced by a company. I wish bowl game followed the convention of being named after something of cultural, economic or geographic significance. I get that sponsors want to get advertising out of sponsoring a bowl, but it doesn't have to be so ostentatious. For example, the Rose Bowl sponsored by Prudential Financial - Yes! The Prudential Financial Bowl - No! Now we got Pop Tarts to go with Cheez-It too?

A hate that bowl games are named after things like a mortgage company or a brand produced by a company. I wish bowl game followed the convention of being named after something of cultural, economic or geographic significance. I get that sponsors want to get advertising out of sponsoring a bowl, but it doesn't have to be so ostentatious. For example, the Rose Bowl sponsored by Prudential Financial - Yes! The Prudential Financial Bowl - No! Now we got Pop Tarts to go with Cheez-It too?
Guaranteed Rate was a pioneer in going ‘sponsor only’. It appears that this game (once the Copper Bowl, once the Cactus Bowl) went with Insight.com Bowl as early as 1997. Impressive.

At least the logo has some identifying local features.

I understand but Northwestern is everything from the administration to the daily to sports teams.

There are thousands of irate alums.

I know we took the money we would have spent on season's tickets and donated it to The Daily. Student journalists > student athletes!

I think we have a legitimate chance of winning the last two games to finish at 7-5. That would put us in second place in the B1G West at 5-4 and bump us up the bowl food chain.
The difference between a 6-6 and a 7-5 team is pretty small. I would expect the Music City bowl to want Wisconsin or Nebraska first, and if both of those teams aren’t eligible, then Maryland.* Rutgers seems destined to the Pinstripe Bowl.

I’d think the Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix is probably the best option.

*Or maybe Illinois, but this scenario assumes Champaign’s Big Ten team doesn’t get the 6th win.

Reactions: rmndcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT