ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern's projected starting lineup next year

Tap shot 28% from 3 as a Freshman. Guys mature, get stronger and shoot better from distance......

And Tap never made 63 three pointers in a single season. Last season was his high with just 39. Falzon can shoot it.
Part of that was Tap never really got that many minutes. Last year about 11 minutes a game and hit 32. Falzon hit 63 last year in a little over 20 minutes per game. But that was as a Frosh and going into next year, he will be two years stronger so hopefully his % will improve.

Last edited:
I'll be shocked if he gets 14 minutes a game!

Me and you both. But, if it happens, it will be a good thing. Means he plays higher than (most people's) reasonable expectations for a 1st year on the court at a position of some depth.

Reactions: Kelly_32
Me and you both. But, if it happens, it will be a good thing. Means he plays higher than (most people's) reasonable expectations for a 1st year on the court at a position of some depth.
How many minutes did Lumpkin average last season?

Fitzphile is right on the money about Falzon. He will show big development between his freshman and sophomore year even after a redshirt season. See Law for a comparable.

Two key games that I recall from last season. The tight loss v. Minnesota as our power forward who was wide open missed 6 3s. (0-6). And a player who NU recruited and rotted on Minny's bench, Michael Hurt hit a key three. The game was tied with 3 minutes left.

The home game v. Illinois was tied with three minutes left and our PF went 1 for 5 and Illinois' PF made key plays Michael Finke whose brother NU is recruiting.

I think Falzon will be able to make those key shots and be a better defensive option IMHO. Falzon showed tougher defensive play at the end of his freshman season.

In regards to my two examples the player whose production that Falzon would replace is Skelly. Collins has stressed a Strech 4 in his offense and Falzon is a stretch 4 and Skelly is an energy guy and limited minutes guy off the bench. Both have important roles and Skelly's energy was key to get the team of its funks and is a very good passer.

I'll be shocked if he gets 14 minutes a game!

This puzzles me a little. Not that you would be surprised at 14 minutes a game but distribution of minutes in general.

On the one hand there are often comments about this year's lack of depth. But if next year we are going to have more depth, will we dare to let our starters rest more?

What is the optimal number of minutes our staters should play if they are playing too many already? If we were able to go to that optimal amount, how many minutes will be freed up? Tap and Lumkin graduating must free up about 35 minutes a game. Right.

Maybe this is for a different thread?

This puzzles me a little. Not that you would be surprised at 14 minutes a game but distribution of minutes in general.

On the one hand there are often comments about this year's lack of depth. But if next year we are going to have more depth, will we dare to let our starters rest more?

What is the optimal number of minutes our staters should play if they are playing too many already? If we were able to go to that optimal amount, how many minutes will be freed up? Tap and Lumkin graduating must free up about 35 minutes a game. Right.

Maybe this is for a different thread?

I don't disagree with the premise that Rap will be a sub ten minute per game guy.

As you point out, 35 minutes open up from graduation - all at the 4. Falzon, his freshman season, averaged 24 minutes, fourth-most on the team. Others will press for time and the rotation might go player deeper next year. If Rap gets 8-10 minutes a game he should be super happy with that.

I don't disagree with the premise that Rap will be a sub ten minute per game guy.

As you point out, 35 minutes open up from graduation - all at the 4.

Taphorn spelled Law at the 3 quite a bit this season. Still, majority of minutes freeing up come at the 4.

Regarding depth and distribution of minutes, I am one who believes the team would benefit from starters playing fewer minutes. I would think under 30 is ideal, but this depends so much on the capability of the bench. I'm not sure we will have the depth to pull that off this year. Lead Guard (1) and Wing (2 & 3) positions are still my primary depth concerns. Looking at our current roster, we really only have one backup wing... true frosh AG. Ash and Brown are both combo guards that seem more suited to play the 1 spot vs the wings.

From my read on the roster and depth chart, landing at least one Wing that can contribute immediately is the most critical priority for CCC and staff. AG is a good start, but hedging that with the addition of a second wing seems important.

Taphorn spelled Law at the 3 quite a bit this season. Still, majority of minutes freeing up come at the 4.

Regarding depth and distribution of minutes, I am one who believes the team would benefit from starters playing fewer minutes. I would think under 30 is ideal, but this depends so much on the capability of the bench. I'm not sure we will have the depth to pull that off this year. Lead Guard (1) and Wing (2 & 3) positions are still my primary depth concerns. Looking at our current roster, we really only have one backup wing... true frosh AG. Ash and Brown are both combo guards that seem more suited to play the 1 spot vs the wings.

From my read on the roster and depth chart, landing at least one Wing that can contribute immediately is the most critical priority for CCC and staff. AG is a good start, but hedging that with the addition of a second wing seems important.

Using Gonzaga as a proxy for a successful team we know well, they played an 8 man rotation, averaging 33 (Williams-Goss), 29, 28, 24, 24, 23, 17, and 12 minutes. I'd like to see NU with a similar time distribution next year, with BMac at 33 and no one else over 30 minutes.

FWIW, NU averaged 34 (BMac), 32, 31, 31, 28, 18 (Skelly), 15 (Brown), 12 (Tap) and 8 (Benson).

Fitzphile is right on the money about Falzon. He will show big development between his freshman and sophomore year even after a redshirt season. See Law for a comparable.

Two key games that I recall from last season. The tight loss v. Minnesota as our power forward who was wide open missed 6 3s. (0-6). And a player who NU recruited and rotted on Minny's bench, Michael Hurt hit a key three. The game was tied with 3 minutes left.

The home game v. Illinois was tied with three minutes left and our PF went 1 for 5 and Illinois' PF made key plays Michael Finke whose brother NU is recruiting.

I think Falzon will be able to make those key shots and be a better defensive option IMHO. Falzon showed tougher defensive play at the end of his freshman season.

In regards to my two examples the player whose production that Falzon would replace is Skelly. Collins has stressed a Strech 4 in his offense and Falzon is a stretch 4 and Skelly is an energy guy and limited minutes guy off the bench. Both have important roles and Skelly's energy was key to get the team of its funks and is a very good passer.

\ The key to Skelly's contribution is limiting what he does when he's on the floor. He could be very effective in a high low game with Pardon. But he absolutely kills us when he goes off beyond what he can do effectively.

GOUNUII

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT