ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern's projected starting lineup next year

die hard gopher

Dec 25, 2014
I've been trying to get a feel for what other Big Ten teams lineups and rotations will look like next year. Will NU's look something like this?

PG: McIntosh
SG: Lindsay
SF: Law
PF: Skelly
C: Pardon
6th man: Brown

What about other guys in the rotation? Will it not be very deep next year? Any transfers or RS's or returning injured players?

I really like this team and I think it will be a top 2 or 3 team in the conference along with Minnesota and Purdue and a top 20 team nationally. You can maybe even make a case for #1 with your top 5 returning scorers back.

I've been trying to get a feel for what other Big Ten teams lineups and rotations will look like next year. Will NU's look something like this?

What about other guys in the rotation? Will it not be very deep next year? Any transfers or RS's or returning injured players?

I really like this team and I think it will be a top 2 or 3 team in the conference along with Minnesota and Purdue and a top 20 team nationally. You can maybe even make a case for #1 with your top 5 returning scorers back.

More probable lineup:

PF: Falzon (started as a true freshman and was hurt last year)
6th man: Skelly (thrives in off bench role), Brown

Also, possible a grad transfer (we currently have room for 2) could take a starting spot if he's a stud.

More probable lineup:

PF: Falzon (started as a true freshman and was hurt last year)
6th man: Skelly (thrives in off bench role), Brown

Falzon started as a freshman because Law was hurt. I see Rap (Rapolas Ivanauskas) coming back from injury and finally debuting at the starting 4 spot, Falzon backing up Law, and Skelly and Benson providing minutes in the post (so long as we don't bring in a graduate big man).

Falzon started as a freshman because Law was hurt. I see Rap (Rapolas Ivanauskas) coming back from injury and finally debuting at the starting 4 spot, Falzon backing up Law, and Skelly and Benson providing minutes in the post (so long as we don't bring in a graduate big man).

That's interesting. So an untested freshman who basically plays the same position (stretch 4) over the guy with starting experience? Certainly could happen, and I think it's good news if it does, because it says that Rap is better than Falzon. But, I think it's a stretch right now. Falzon started as a freshman, but there's a reason he came in instead of Skelly or Lindsey, who I would have thought were the next guys up. Given what we lose with Lumpkin, wouldn't be surprised if we go with whoever is the best on D and rebounding. Might be Rap. Might be Skelly (less likely I think). Might be a grad transfer. But, I think Falzon's been in the lineup already and I think has to be the favorite to retain the role.

Falzon is not a 4. He's a small forward. Rap has the body of a 4 but who knows what his game is like. He dominated lessor competition and then poof vanished to play out east. While Law's versatility gives Collins a lot of room to play around, that forward spot next to him is really wide open.

If history tells us anything, it's that: a) Someone will get injured; b) There will be no more than eight guys who play significant minutes by the end of season; c) Matchups matter, so the starting lineup will likely be fluid for at least one starting spot; d) Someone's game will "grow" in the off-season and they'll make more of a contribution than we thought; e) Someone's game will regress for whatever reason, and they'll make less of a contribution than we thought.

My guess for the eight who will be in the "regular rotation" by March of 2018: BMac, Lindsey, Law, Pardon, Skelly, Brown, Benson and either Falzon or Rap. Now if you can predict who will get hurt next year, I can give you more precise predictions.

I wouldn't leave Michigan State out of the equation, especially if Bridges returns.

Here's a more complete two deep rotation based on the comments and research I've gathered. How does it sound?

PG: McIntosh, Brown/Ash
SG: Lindsay, Gaines/Brown
SF: Law, Falzon
PF: Skelly, Ivanauskas
C: Pardon, Benson

And of course you guys could add two more recruits/grad transfers before its all done.

Here's a more complete two deep rotation based on the comments and research I've gathered. How does it sound?

PG: McIntosh, Brown/Ash
SG: Lindsay, Gaines/Brown
SF: Law, Falzon
PF: Skelly, Ivanauskas
C: Pardon, Benson

And of course you guys could add two more recruits/grad transfers before its all done.

Those are the players everyone anticipates will be in the rotation.

Power forward will be a revolving door, but I'd guess that Falzon will get every opportunity to win the starting job because of his shooting.

Power forward will be a revolving door, but I'd guess that Falzon will get every opportunity to win the starting job because of his shooting.
I would add the word "potential" to shooting. He's made only 38 percent of his shots (35 percent from 3) so far in his career. Granted, he looks like he can be a good shooter, but he's got a lot of work to do.

Falzon is not a 4. He's a small forward. Rap has the body of a 4 but who knows what his game is like. He dominated lessor competition and then poof vanished to play out east. While Law's versatility gives Collins a lot of room to play around, that forward spot next to him is really wide open.
I think that Falzon is better suited to guard 4's than 3's and would have better opportunities to score against 4's but it is possible that I am underestimating his athleticism.

I would add the word "potential" to shooting. He's made only 38 percent of his shots (35 percent from 3) so far in his career. Granted, he looks like he can be a good shooter, but he's got a lot of work to do.

Well, as a true Frosh, he made 63 3s which would have led the team this year. He played comparable mins to Law as a frosh and had more pts per game. Collins stated in press conference during that year that Falzon is as good a shooter as anyone in the country. He's got a high ceiling still.

Reactions: julescat
I'm always confounded at the general lack of love for Falzon. I know he was out of sight, out of mind this year, but the guy was ranked 75th in his class by ESPN. Law, for comparison's sake, was 66th. He scored more than 8 a game as a true freshman while shooting at a reasonable clip. He also purports to solve the single biggest issue we had this season, which was outside shooting, and replace the one guy on the roster who consistently excelled on that front in Taphorn.

Falzon starts on this team next season, full stop. He, Law and Lindsey are the wings, Mac's the PG, and Pardon's the center. Brown and Gaines fight to be the first guard off the bench. Skelly's the first forward and Benson backs up Pardon. Rapolas hopefully steps up and takes some minutes from someone, but there will be plenty of room for growth after next season when a big senior class moves on.

Anyway, back to Falzon: I'm extremely bullish on his future. He's a huge piece moving forward.

I'm always confounded at the general lack of love for Falzon. I know he was out of sight, out of mind this year, but the guy was ranked 75th in his class by ESPN. Law, for comparison's sake, was 66th. He scored more than 8 a game as a true freshman while shooting at a reasonable clip. He also purports to solve the single biggest issue we had this season, which was outside shooting, and replace the one guy on the roster who consistently excelled on that front in Taphorn.

Falzon starts on this team next season, full stop. He, Law and Lindsey are the wings, Mac's the PG, and Pardon's the center. Brown and Gaines fight to be the first guard off the bench. Skelly's the first forward and Benson backs up Pardon. Rapolas hopefully steps up and takes some minutes from someone, but there will be plenty of room for growth after next season when a big senior class moves on.

Anyway, back to Falzon: I'm extremely bullish on his future. He's a huge piece moving forward.
I'm a Falzon backer also and agree with your starters but Rap might get quite a bit o minutes, probably at the expense of Skelly. Still thinking that NU needs a PG next season to back up Mac. Whether that player comes from the H.S. ranks or as a transfer is the $64,000 question. When would we expect to hear something final on transfers?

I'm a Falzon backer also and agree with your starters but Rap might get quite a bit o minutes, probably at the expense of Skelly. Still thinking that NU needs a PG next season to back up Mac. Whether that player comes from the H.S. ranks or as a transfer is the $64,000 question. When would we expect to hear something final on transfers?

Spring signing period starts April 12th and lasts about a month. All will be sorted out soon.

I hope that CCC and staff are working to develop Brown into that PG role. I also want to see how Ash develops this offseason. A big step made by either of these guys would be such a boon, and take pressure off of Mac to have to be at the top of his game every time out.

Spring signing period starts April 12th and lasts about a month. All will be sorted out soon.

I hope that CCC and staff are working to develop Brown into that PG role. I also want to see how Ash develops this offseason. A big step made by either of these guys would be such a boon, and take pressure off of Mac to have to be at the top of his game every time out.
Thanks does that hold true for transfers as well? Still think they need to add a true PG.

Benson has alot of potential. Rap may fill a defensive void.

Don't underestimate Rap's potential! I saw him play for Barrington HS in person his junior year. He is the real deal IMHO. If he can recover 100% from his injury, we are going to have a real stud/star on our team next season. If he lives up to his potential, he will start and average 14 pts a game.

Don't underestimate Rap's potential! I saw him play for Barrington HS in person his junior year. He is the real deal IMHO. If he can recover 100% from his injury, we are going to have a real stud/star on our team next season. If he lives up to his potential, he will start and average 14 pts a game.

That would be really impressive to get 14 pts per game. Not sure it matters whether he starts. I would expect he will see about 15 - 20 min per game, as should Falzon. I think what's especially exciting is that both Falzon and Rap have the potential to go off for 20+ points in a game if they are hot. Ideally, we get 20 - 30 points per game total from the 4 (combo of Falzon, Skelly, Rap). When was the last time we had that kind of production out of the 4 spot?

Ash is a better guard option than Brown!

I would love to see Ash step up and play his way into the rotation, even if it's only 6-8 minutes a game. He got some run early in the year and again late in the year. But it was pretty clear that the coaching staff was letting Brown play through some growing pains in the Big Ten schedule, which suggests Ash wasn't showing them enough in practice to replace Brown on the floor. But we've seen him hit a few 3s and by all accounts he's a good perimeter defender, which is always useful. It would be good for depth/matchup purposes if he becomes a viable option.

Well, as a true Frosh, he made 63 3s which would have led the team this year. He played comparable mins to Law as a frosh and had more pts per game. Collins stated in press conference during that year that Falzon is as good a shooter as anyone in the country. He's got a high ceiling still.
Raw numbers are nice and he does have potential to be a good shooter, but he's got to be more efficient. 38 percent from the field ain't great. Also if he's going to play the 4, he has to rebound and defend better. He averaged almost 3 fouls a game in 25 MPG, and just 3.4 rebounds. Does he have the ability to progress in these areas? Sure. But it's far from a given at this point in his career.

Raw numbers are nice and he does have potential to be a good shooter, but he's got to be more efficient. 38 percent from the field ain't great. Also if he's going to play the 4, he has to rebound and defend better. He averaged almost 3 fouls a game in 25 MPG, and just 3.4 rebounds. Does he have the ability to progress in these areas? Sure. But it's far from a given at this point in his career.
Let's remember that the best thing about a freshman is that he will be a sophomore next year. Think you are underestimating Falzon a bit, as he is a better defender then Skelly and like the best pure shooter on the team, per Collins.

Reactions: julescat
Let's remember that the best thing about a freshman is that he will be a sophomore next year. Think you are underestimating Falzon a bit, as he is a better defender then Skelly and like the best pure shooter on the team, per Collins.

I agree, willy. He had a solid true Freshman year and should only improve. My big concern is how he recovers from his knee surgery. The few times I saw him on the sidelines this spring, he seemed to be pretty stiff and favoring it.

I agree, willy. He had a solid true Freshman year and should only improve. My big concern is how he recovers from his knee surgery. The few times I saw him on the sidelines this spring, he seemed to be pretty stiff and favoring it.
Agree but your right that the injury could slow down his development. Otherwise he starts.

Yes, if he is recovered I'd be shocked if he didn't start. BMac/Law/Lindsey/Falzon/Pardon is a very strong NU line-up.

Gotta be the strongest scoring potential starting five NU has ever had, right?

I hope he is a better defender than Skelly but I don't remember that being the case. Skelly is a really active defender (sometimes too active) and shot blocker. Falzon averaged .3 steals and .3 blocks his freshman year and I don't remember him having great lateral quickness. I didn't focus on his defense that much so hopefully I am wrong. If he is an average defender guarding the 4, he will get a lot of minutes (and will really open up our offense). Law is our shut-down perimeter defender so we are not going to have him guard the other team's 4. I don't think he will be very effective and Falzon is not going to be guarding the other team's best scorer. We won this year with defense and rebounding and I don't think Collins will be willing to change that philosophy. Otherwise, Taphorn would have played 30 minutes a game.

And speaking of Taphorn, I am not sure if we appreciate how consistent a shooter he was. Falzon is able to get his shot off more quickly and can carry the team when he is hot, but Taphorn was remarkably consistent last season for a 3-point shooter. In his last 14 games, he went 17 for 34. In one of those 14 games, he didn't take a 3, in another he was 0 for 2 and in a third he was 1 for 3. In the other 11 games he never hit less than 40% of his 3-point shots and he was 5 for 5 in his last 4 games. That's really, really impressive given his limited minutes.

Reactions: NUCats
I hope he is a better defender than Skelly but I don't remember that being the case. Skelly is a really active defender (sometimes too active) and shot blocker. Falzon averaged .3 steals and .3 blocks his freshman year and I don't remember him having great lateral quickness. I didn't focus on his defense that much so hopefully I am wrong. If he is an average defender guarding the 4, he will get a lot of minutes (and will really open up our offense). Law is our shut-down perimeter defender so we are not going to have him guard the other team's 4. I don't think he will be very effective and Falzon is not going to be guarding the other team's best scorer. We won this year with defense and rebounding and I don't think Collins will be willing to change that philosophy. Otherwise, Taphorn would have played 30 minutes a game.

And speaking of Taphorn, I am not sure if we appreciate how consistent a shooter he was. Falzon is able to get his shot off more quickly and can carry the team when he is hot, but Taphorn was remarkably consistent last season for a 3-point shooter. In his last 14 games, he went 17 for 34. In one of those 14 games, he didn't take a 3, in another he was 0 for 2 and in a third he was 1 for 3. In the other 11 games he never hit less than 40% of his 3-point shots and he was 5 for 5 in his last 4 games. That's really, really impressive given his limited minutes.
I agree, NU will miss Tap's consistent three-point shooting. Falzon had a lot of threes as a freshman, but wasn't particularly efficient. He needs to improve in that area.

I agree, NU will miss Tap's consistent three-point shooting. Falzon had a lot of threes as a freshman, but wasn't particularly efficient. He needs to improve in that area.

Tap shot 28% from 3 as a Freshman. Guys mature, get stronger and shoot better from distance......

And Tap never made 63 three pointers in a single season. Last season was his high with just 39. Falzon can shoot it.

Reactions: willycat
Tap shot 28% from 3 as a Freshman. Guys mature, get stronger and shoot better from distance......

And Tap never made 63 three pointers in a single season. Last season was his high with just 39. Falzon can shoot it.

Seriously, this desire to pigeon hole players into roles or comps is crazy, especially when comparing Senior year stats to freshman year. I expect really big things from Falzon and Rap this season, play at the 4 like we haven't seen before at NU. These are two of our highest rated recruits ever! Love what Lumpkin and Tap did this year and for the program overall, but I'm looking forward to seeing that next level play from these two guys over the next few seasons.

Reactions: NJCat

I'm all for a great year from Falzon. Just like I'm all for a great year from Brown. Second-year growth would be outstanding. Not guaranteed in either case, but truly outstanding.

Seriously, this desire to pigeon hole players into roles or comps is crazy, especially when comparing Senior year stats to freshman year. I expect really big things from Falzon and Rap this season, play at the 4 like we haven't seen before at NU. These are two of our highest rated recruits ever! Love what Lumpkin and Tap did this year and for the program overall, but I'm looking forward to seeing that next level play from these two guys over the next few seasons.

When you really think about it, If CC is a really great coach (I could say since but ...), it probably won't be a plug and play situation. Each year will look different depending on personnel and chemistry. I would think a lot of strategies could change from one year to the next, resulting in changes to player statistics and strategies.

I already said he could shoot it and mentioned that he can get his shot off more quickly. Tap was just amazingly consistent in the second half of the season. He didn't miss a 3-pointer over his last 4 games. He only took 5 but that is still really hard to do. I am guessing that Falzon will carry the team some games. He will likely have some 0 for 5 and 1 for 6 type games as well. That's pretty typical for even great shooters.

Last edited:
That would be really impressive to get 14 pts per game. Not sure it matters whether he starts. I would expect he will see about 15 - 20 min per game, as should Falzon. I think what's especially exciting is that both Falzon and Rap have the potential to go off for 20+ points in a game if they are hot. Ideally, we get 20 - 30 points per game total from the 4 (combo of Falzon, Skelly, Rap). When was the last time we had that kind of production out of the 4 spot?

If Rap gets 14 pts a game, it probably means one of our studs got hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT