ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing said about the game plans from McCall and Hankwitz?

WaveJumper

Mar 13, 2002
They sure get bashed (especially McCall) frequently. Think about his strategy against a team that was averaging over 40 points a game. One way to beat them is to keep the ball out of their hands. Obviously he did a great job here as every drive was time consuming (as opposed to Pitt's quick strikes) and NU had possession for over 35 minutes. He also had the OL extremely well prepared to run block. This had a lot to do to making the drives time consuming. And although the pass protection could have been better - Thorson was still 23 of 36 for 214 yards You can always carp about a few play calls (for ANY OC) but McCall had his offense perfectly prepared for this game!.

A very excellent game plan from coach McCall and excellent development of Thorson over the season.

Similarly, coach Hankwitz did a great job with the defense. Pitt's scores were mostly the result of breakdowns on explosion plays, and an offense like Pitt will have several of those opportunities in each game (remember NU in 2000?). Over all (with a few breakdowns in coverage) the defense had an excellent plan and executed that plan very well.

Congratulations to coach McCall and coach Hankwitz. Regardless what other people on this board have said (who have never played the game), you proved that your experience and knowledge can still formulate an excellent game plan.

Yes, indeed. Great game planning and execution, and hats off to the youngsters on the Sky Team.

Over and above the run blocking, I was especially impressed with two new wrinkles: receivers other than Carr who not only didn't make consistent drops but actually made difficult catches of off target balls and defensive players who made tackles. And to be fair, hats off to the special teams coach. The blocked punt was a problem, and we may have looked silly with the pooch and squib kicks, but we avoided a very dangerous Pitt return game that could easily have answered our scoring.

Beyond the game planning, the team spirit was awesome. Starting with JJTBC's burst from the two in Q1 the 'Cats made it clear that they came to play some serious football. What a contrast to the Western Michigan and Illinois State games.

Where were these guys in September?

Hanks is the best DC in the B1G. He is one of reasons my son picked NU. I love our staff. Sometimes it is hard to read these boards when they bash the staff. This staff is first class in every way. How about Fitz standing behind his staff and having confidence in them. There are two things that I value in a person, loyalty and honesty. Fitz has those in spades. I think Fitz and his staff showed everyone why they should stay together. The coaches my son mainly deals with are Fitz, Hanks, Bates, and Hooten. Everyone of them are excellent at their jobs, and everyone of them treat my son like he is one of their sons. Northwestern is a recruits parents dream school I am beyond pleased with my son being a Wildcat. What a great win.

Last edited:
Hanks is the best DC in the B1G. He is one of reasons my son picked NU. I love our staff. Sometimes it is hard to read these boards when they bash the staff. This staff is first class in every way. How about Fitz standing behind his staff and having confidence in them. There are two things that I value in a person, loyalty and honesty. Fitz has those in spades. I think Fitz and his staff showed everyone why they should stay together. The coaches my son mainly deals with are Fitz, Hanks, Bates, and Hooten. Everyone of them are excellent at their jobs, and everyone of them treat my son like he is one of their sons. Northwestern is a recruits parents dream school I am beyond pleased with my son being a Wildcat. What a great win.

Appreciate your comments. Much better perspective than the crap offered here, from highly opinionated fans who have no clue about what they're saying.

Appreciate your comments. Much better perspective than the crap offered here, from highly opinionated fans who have no clue about what they're saying.
I understand being upset and passionate, and we want passionate fans. This board is a place for them to vent. It is good to have a place to vent. I get upset sometimes with the effort of players, never the coaches. This staff prepares and coaches its players as well as anyone. The effort that comes from these players is solely on the players. The same players who lost to Illinois State , beat Pitt. Actually some of the starters from the Illinois State game were injured and back ups played in the Bowl game. Northwestern players are worked hard, but are treated with respect and dignity. I said this when I first got to NU, "We will win the B1G in the next 4 years ". My opinion hasn't changed, I am more convinced. We are all family , I promise you that if we don't win the B1G it wasn't from the coaches. You all have a Happy New Year and be ready for a great 2017 season my friends.

Serious question. Are parents allowed to "recruit"? Let's say a recruit is considering NU but his mom and dad think maybe the coaches and players recruiting aren't giving them the full picture. Can his mom pick up the phone and call CatsDad to get his honest opinion on what her son's experience is going to be? I ask because CatsDad does a great job of selling the school. He always makes me want to go there and I graduated decades ago.

Serious question. Are parents allowed to "recruit"? Let's say a recruit is considering NU but his mom and dad think maybe the coaches and players recruiting aren't giving them the full picture. Can his mom pick up the phone and call CatsDad to get his honest opinion on what her son's experience is going to be? I ask because CatsDad does a great job of selling the school. He always makes me want to go there and I graduated decades ago.
Seems tome it is a free country. If parents want to call Jango's dad, who could stop them?

Seems tome it is a free country. If parents want to call Jango's dad, who could stop them?
I tell recruits parents all the time Many get caught up in the glitz of a school and not what matters. Nothing matters more than how a player is developed or treated. The reason I sound convincing is because I truly believe what I say. It is easy to sell something you truly believe and have passion for.

Yes. So long as a recruit's mom initiates contact.

Reactions: olshin
They sure get bashed (especially McCall) frequently. Think about his strategy against a team that was averaging over 40 points a game. One way to beat them is to keep the ball out of their hands. Obviously he did a great job here as every drive was time consuming (as opposed to Pitt's quick strikes) and NU had possession for over 35 minutes. He also had the OL extremely well prepared to run block. This had a lot to do to making the drives time consuming. And although the pass protection could have been better - Thorson was still 23 of 36 for 214 yards You can always carp about a few play calls (for ANY OC) but McCall had his offense perfectly prepared for this game!.

A very excellent game plan from coach McCall and excellent development of Thorson over the season.

Similarly, coach Hankwitz did a great job with the defense. Pitt's scores were mostly the result of breakdowns on explosion plays, and an offense like Pitt will have several of those opportunities in each game (remember NU in 2000?). Over all (with a few breakdowns in coverage) the defense had an excellent plan and executed that plan very well.

Congratulations to coach McCall and coach Hankwitz. Regardless what other people on this board have said (who have never played the game), you proved that your experience and knowledge can still formulate an excellent game plan.
To me the offensive game plan was a gamble. We appear to have decided that we were going directly at the strength of their defense rather than game planning to go over it. If it had backfired and Pitt stopped our run game, then it would have probably been a rout. But had we gone with the pass game and tried to win a shoot-out, we would have been playing their game.

The coaches made the less obvious decision and then had the offense ready to execute. They showed faith in their players especially the oft-maligned OL.

It was a risky game plan that worked due to excellent preparation both mental and physical.

Yes. The coaches earned their paychecks with this one.

And the team executed.

I honestly think the biggest problem was never playcallimg but execution on the lines the team went as the lines went this year granted I hated the speed option all year but it worked in the bowl. There's a reason I don't coach.

To me the offensive game plan was a gamble. We appear to have decided that we were going directly at the strength of their defense rather than game planning to go over it. If it had backfired and Pitt stopped our run game, then it would have probably been a rout. But had we gone with the pass game and tried to win a shoot-out, we would have been playing their game.

The coaches made the less obvious decision and then had the offense ready to execute. They showed faith in their players especially the oft-maligned OL.

It was a risky game plan that worked due to excellent preparation both mental and physical.

And the team executed.

With a back such as Jackson, you have to at least try to establish the running game. It's no big secret that the best way to stop an offense such as Pitt had this year is to keep them off the field. Obviously, you control more of the clock with running. We were told the strength of the Pitt defense was against the run, but if I'm McCall I'm going to make them prove it. The B1G has its ups and downs, but it almost always has some top run defenses because it's a running backs league over the years. Certainly you have to stop JJTBC to beat Northwestern, and Pitt couldn't do it. I really don't think McCall's plan was a gamble, but more something he had to do. No way NU was going to win a passing shootout.

With a back such as Jackson, you have to at least try to establish the running game. It's no big secret that the best way to stop an offense such as Pitt had this year is to keep them off the field. Obviously, you control more of the clock with running. We were told the strength of the Pitt defense was against the run, but if I'm McCall I'm going to make them prove it. The B1G has its ups and downs, but it almost always has some top run defenses because it's a running backs league over the years. Certainly you have to stop JJTBC to beat Northwestern, and Pitt couldn't do it. I really don't think McCall's plan was a gamble, but more something he had to do. No way NU was going to win a passing shootout.

Our O line pulls a lot and typically are much better in run blocking than pass blocking. Our WR blocking has been good as well. I don't think we took a single deep shot all day. I think the coaches knew if we couldn't run, we were going to be in big trouble. Not sure I would term it a gamble, Cause I am sure there was a plan B, but we never needed to use it.

So long as the contact is initiated by the recruit, it is usually ok per NCAA rules.

What I appreciated was the way runs were incorporated as part of the third and long package. That's gutsy, atypical, and likely a result of scouting Pitt's third down defensive approach.

I honestly think the biggest problem was never playcallimg but execution on the lines the team went as the lines went this year granted I hated the speed option all year but it worked in the bowl. There's a reason I don't coach.

Clayton has gotten much, much better at running the speed option. He's still relatively inexperienced, and that play is feel and timing. For a long time, he and JJtbc didn't have it. Now they do, and it's wonderful.

Reactions: TerraCat
The coaches have a slight advantage over us board hacks... like they do this for a living, they have access to film and scouting reports, and they've got a lot of experience. Plus they had several weeks to prepare. I'm guessing that McCall and his brain trust saw something in the Pitt defense that they wanted to exploit with the run game, which was contrary to conventional wisdom. So huge credit to the offensive staff for that game plan.

What I appreciated was the way runs were incorporated as part of the third and long package. That's gutsy, atypical, and likely a result of scouting Pitt's third down defensive approach.

Clayton has gotten much, much better at running the speed option. He's still relatively inexperienced, and that play is feel and timing. For a long time, he and JJtbc didn't have it. Now they do, and it's wonderful.

If you've got the run going, keep running often until they stop it. Over the years I've seen countless teams start out well running the ball, and then all of a sudden the coach tries to get cute and toss the ball 4-5 times in a row, often resulting in a quick three-and-out and a loss of momentum. Drives me nuts.

Reactions: phatcat
The coaches have a slight advantage over us board hacks... like they do this for a living, they have access to film and scouting reports, and they've got a lot of experience. Plus they had several weeks to prepare. I'm guessing that McCall and his brain trust saw something in the Pitt defense that they wanted to exploit with the run game, which was contrary to conventional wisdom. So huge credit to the offensive staff for that game plan.

Perhaps they wanted to test their slow linebackers.

NU had a tough time blocking some of their DT's on pass plays like Soto (sp), but our OL blew them off the ball on 3rd or 4th and short running plays and QB sneaks. Meanwhile, our DT's like Lancaster were excellent at stopping runs in short yardage situations (see goal line stand, 4th and inches).

The prep time was enough to find the weakness to be exploited. on 4th down and 4 for 4 speaks volumes about the coaches recognition of the team's talent. The first goal line stop was a huge momentum shifter but reflects preparation and film study.
Next year will only be better even though Ant is gone. Those who wee in when he was out (Fox) as well as those waiting in the wings will only be better. I rally can't see the same start next year that we suffered through this year. JJTBC will be better and the stable of backs behind him will be available for rest so he can be at his peak . Just can't wait until signing day, spring practice, and 1st kick-off.

And the team executed.
No expert on Pitt, but Narduzzi loves pressure and fronts that can get upfield. An offense that runs draws and counters can use this tendency against a defense. My sense is, having not rewatched the game, this is exactly what we schemed and executed.

Although I have a hard time throwing roses at the feet of the staff that led a team to 6 losses, I do agree that this game WAS about execution. See Scanlan, Wilson and McGee for examples.

To me, the game in a microcosm was the 4th down stop and 99 yard drive. I don't know if I've ever seen us do that. Teams usually a) score against us down there or B) force a miserable three and out.

Good plan, good execution. I do, however, ultimately hold coaches responsible for poor execution. Players come and go, but (our) coaches stay.

Final thought, if our coaching stability allows us to continue to avoid Baylor/Minnesota type issues, then fine. Lose a few games but don't humiliate the university

Reactions: LACatFan
The fact players come and go and the coaches stay is the argument for the lack of execution resting with the players. The coaches are coaching the same way/technique...if the player doesn't execute in the game - it's on them.

At the end of the day it was strength vs strength. Pitt came in with the best RZ offense in the country, but our RZ defense was also solid this year.

Pitt got into the RZ on their first three drives and got 7 points. That cost them the game IMO.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
No expert on Pitt, but Narduzzi loves pressure and fronts that can get upfield. An offense that runs draws and counters can use this tendency against a defense. My sense is, having not rewatched the game, this is exactly what we schemed and executed.

If you're going to play Narduzzi's style, you'd better have a secondary that is either very experienced or very talented. Pitt had a young and not particularly great secondary and was bound to have trouble with any team that could establish the run. Same thing happened to Dantonio at Michigan State this year, and he didn't have the great offense to cover for it like Narduzzi did at Pitt. Just shows how a couple of talented players can be the difference between a great defense and getting rolled.

If you're going to play Narduzzi's style, you'd better have a secondary that is either very experienced or very talented. Pitt had a young and not particularly great secondary and was bound to have trouble with any team that could establish the run. Same thing happened to Dantonio at Michigan State this year, and he didn't have the great offense to cover for it like Narduzzi did at Pitt. Just shows how a couple of talented players can be the difference between a great defense and getting rolled.
I believe that lockdown corners are the key to a great defense, even more than a great pass rush.

I believe that lockdown corners are the key to a great defense, even more than a great pass rush.
I think this has merit especially in college where many QBs are inconsistent even without pressure. In the Cat's case this year however, I think if Thorson has better protection he can beat the coverage but under pressure he is less accurate and his receiver don't have time to get separation.

The fact players come and go and the coaches stay is the argument for the lack of execution resting with the players. The coaches are coaching the same way/technique...if the player doesn't execute in the game - it's on them.
Totally agree. Coaches coach, they can't play for the players. At times we haven't put the proper effort , and or have not executed. If every player refuses to lose on every play , we win. Some games we didn't do that. We lost the battles in the trenches in the games we lost. The coaches do their jobs, the players need to develop a refuse to lose attitude. Our offense live or dies with our offensive line.

I would agree. I watch a lot of high school and small college games locally, and a QB who can pass well generally has a field day at those levels as there almost always is a weakness to exploit in the secondary. Even at the Division I level, there usually is a weakness to exploit. CB is an extremely difficult position to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT