ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame Hockey to big ten

There will be huge BTN money with hockey. We should get it soon.
What would you cut or add to play hockey?

Maybe you add women's gymnastics? Can you add women's track, but not men's?

Get rid of men's swimming? Get rid of a few scholarships for baseball, soccer?

How many hockey scholarships are there, typically? Do most teams play on campus? I'm guessing, but I assume W-R is not convertible?

I see a lot of appeal - but I wonder if lax - or doing nothing - is a better option.

How many hockey scholarships are there, typically? Do most teams play on campus? I'm guessing, but I assume W-R is not convertible?

I see a lot of appeal - but I wonder if lax - or doing nothing - is a better option.
I know NU just hired a new coach and built a new field but baseball would be #1 on the cutting room floor, followed closely by wrestling. Baseball schlorship for Hockey could be a pretty close swap. Women's track and gymnastics are probably doable as well. What better reason then to tear down W-R and replace it with The Writz Hockey Arena, which could also double as a new basketball court.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
If NU was to ever build a new arena then adding hockey would be great. W-R is a dump and needs to go. Maybe in some of out lifetimes.

Well, you'd add women's hockey along with men's. I don't see anything except coaching salaries that would put men's hockey as more costly than women's (same equipment, same travel, same number of trainers, staff...). You can make up that disparity by increasing funding to other women's program. The question is would men's hockey bring in 2x cost?

Well, you'd add women's hockey along with men's. I don't see anything except coaching salaries that would put men's hockey as more costly than women's (same equipment, same travel, same number of trainers, staff...). You can make up that disparity by increasing funding to other women's program. The question is would men's hockey bring in 2x cost?
Shakes, you are the smartest person here. Someone get Rocky Wirtz on the phone. We need a (Skokie) arena!

That's a major expenditure, to say nothing of the lack of an arena. We draw like crap in every sport but football and men's hoops. Imagine the attendance at an off-campus arena.

Anyway, I spoke to a top NU athletics booster, who assured me that NU men's lax will never ever happen and men's hockey doesn't even deserve a 'no.' Take his word for whatever it's worth.

I asked Bienen one time at an event about adding Hockey...He said never...didn't even miss a beat

Oh, don't like the hockey situation in the ACC? Tough sh*t, you made your bed.

Or...the Big Ten let's ND stooge us like they stooge the ACC. Why buy a cow when you get the milk from multiple cows for free?

That's a major expenditure, to say nothing of the lack of an arena. We draw like crap in every sport but football and men's hoops. Imagine the attendance at an off-campus arena.
You don't need to draw fans to the game. All you have to do is put it on BTN and collect the revenue that way.

I did not like it when Johns. Hopkins was allowed entry in B1G for lacrosse. I only hope this is a.n olive branch to ND for entry to the conference in the future

Does NU not get full BTN revenue unless it participates in all sports broadcast on BTN?
Not exactly sure how it all works. I would imagine schools playing the sports get a little extra boost. Gotta imagine John Hopkins isn't getting an equal share.

If I were in charge, I would look at the revenue from programming associated with each sport and give a 50% share to the 14 full time members split evenly (with the new member phase in period) as the "owners of the big ten Brand" and 50% share split evenly among the schools playing the sport (again with a phase in period). If it should be 60-40 80-20 or any other combo, I have no argument but I think schools that are putting the sports out there and spending the revenue should be compensated accordingly. That seems reasons to me. But it's college athletics and reasonable doesn't mean a thing.

I did not like it when Johns. Hopkins was allowed entry in B1G for lacrosse. I only hope this is a.n olive branch to ND for entry to the conference in the future

We needed a minimum number of teams to become a qualifying league for the tournament. Also, Hopkins is a recognized lacrosse power and along with Maryland added instant credibility to the league. I had no problem with it.

We needed a minimum number of teams to become a qualifying league for the tournament. Also, Hopkins is a recognized lacrosse power and along with Maryland added instant credibility to the league. I had no problem with it.
Just gonna play devils advocate here... You're saying that the implications are positive for lacrosse. that's a non revenue sport. What are the further implications of bringing in partial members? We just saw the addition of Notre dame hockey. Does that implicate that BTN revenue is open season for any little school that wants the money?

Just gonna play devils advocate here... You're saying that the implications are positive for lacrosse. that's a non revenue sport. What are the further implications of bringing in partial members? We just saw the addition of Notre dame hockey. Does that implicate that BTN revenue is open season for any little school that wants the money?

I don't know that NU's share is affected one bit by having hockey or not having hockey. Although Maryland did not receive a full revenue share at first and then gradually becomes fully vested, I think ND and Hopkins could be paid out of a separately budgeted expense account, not a member share per se. Where's Teddy et al to answer this?

Perhaps a case of ping-pong diplomacy between ND and the Big Ten.

You would not have this opinion if you had to deal with the "entitled" fans of JHU lacrosse

who the hell watches college hockey or lacrosse ( or any other sport not named football and men's b-ball)? and how would this amount to anything other than negative $ value in the entire calculus of the distribution of the btn pot pof gold? ridiculous.

ND will not get any money from BTN. They may well from the conference but unsurprisingly that's not public. They have their own TV deal for their home games and BTN owns the rights to all other games and the tournaments. It's (allegedly) about playing hockey in the midwest, which makes you wonder why they essentially joined the ACC for football.

To me, it makes no sense to leave the Hockey East as it's a far more competitive league than the Big Ten right now. Also, it now means there is a seven team league rather than a six. There have been rumors for a year or two about Arizona State (right in the Big Ten footprint of course) joining for Hockey, as there also have been for the Nebraska and Illinois club teams turning varsity.

It just smacks of the conference being so desperate to get them in for football that they'll do or say anything to get them in. I don't like it.

who the hell watches college hockey or lacrosse ( or any other sport not named football and men's b-ball)? and how would this amount to anything other than negative $ value in the entire calculus of the distribution of the btn pot pof gold? ridiculous.

I watch men's lacrosse because my son announces games for ESPN

I love hockey but no way should Northwestern spend the money for this sport. I'd rather see us return to track. Most football coaches would tell you if there is one sport that will assist a quality football program it is track. Why ? SPEED ! High school running backs and wide receivers often participate in track and look for track in a football school.

and, Go Cats !!

I often watch lacrosse. It's an exciting sport with speed, physicality and, unlike soccer, scoring.

There will be huge BTN money with hockey. We should get it soon.
I think it would be great, but I just don't ever see NU getting a team. It's a big commitment if you are going to do it right and you need a rink which they don't have. It would have been a cool part of the lakefront facilities, but clearly it's not. I've never checked to see how Penn State draws for attendance, might be interesting.

Add women's hockey with men's.

That would help with title IX, but it's a money loser in my opinion. I don't think that we gain a penny more from BTN by having a hockey team (and when I've brought up this thought, nobody has refuted me). All we'll do is lose a ton of money.

That would help with title IX, but it's a money loser in my opinion. I don't think that we gain a penny more from BTN by having a hockey team (and when I've brought up this thought, nobody has refuted me). All we'll do is lose a ton of money.
I agree and I played college hockey! NU kids barely support football, now we expect them to support a sport most of them don't even understand? Sad, but true.

I think it would be great, but I just don't ever see NU getting a team. It's a big commitment if you are going to do it right and you need a rink which they don't have. It would have been a cool part of the lakefront facilities, but clearly it's not. I've never checked to see how Penn State draws for attendance, might be interesting.

Penn State is drawing very well, more than 6,000 a game last time I looked, which I believe is more than 100 percent of the capacity of their arena. They also benefit from having huge draws in wrestling and women's volleyball, which are attendance afterthoughts at most schools. Wrestling has become a very hard ticket to get up there.

Penn State is drawing very well, more than 6,000 a game last time I looked, which I believe is more than 100 percent of the capacity of their arena. They also benefit from having huge draws in wrestling and women's volleyball, which are attendance afterthoughts at most schools. Wrestling has become a very hard ticket to get up there.

Amazing. They drew less than 6,000 per game for Men's basketball.

Actually, they drew more than 8,000 a game last year (don't know what the final figures are for this year). Wrestling would outdraw basketball by a huge amount at Penn State if they held more matches at Bryce Jordan, but Sanderson likes the more pit-like atmosphere of Rec Hall, which is always sold out. There are signs of a change in Penn State BB as they finally seem to have established a Philadelphia pipeline and have an excellent recruiting class coming in next year.

Which is exactly why I think men's hockey would not be wise at NU. Whether it's because they kids there are too erudite for sports fandom or just don't get into is irrelevant, they simply don't go! The football team can't sell out either without the enormous help of their opponents at home which is embarrassing! Two 10 and 3 teams in the past 4 years and still they can't draw what they should. Hockey would be doomed!

My buddy who's a huge, huge hockey guy said NU would kill it if they added hockey... It's an extremely white-collar sport that smart kids play. He played in the New England Prep league and knows his stuff, so take it FWIW

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT