ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame in 2018

Wrigley has added additional box seats behind home plate and increased the size of the dugouts since the Days when the Bears played there. Also the north end zone, even then was not the required 10 yards and still it ran right up to the bleacher wall. The next NU game will be much more enjoyable, including the outcome, I hope. They have plans to actually remove the seating and the wall along 3 base and the new restaurants and clubs will also be open, along with the "Plaza" and the hotel across the street. Enjoy.
Oh, good! You and Gladeskat could share a room for the night at the "Plaza", and we can all watch you add to the festivities of the game.

As I recall having been there, Notre Dame played us at home in 1968 - They warmed up on us, forget the score. I do remember Joe Theismann who had the fastest feet I've seen on a QB. Amazing !

and, Go Cats !!

? year

Last edited:
As I recall having been there, Notre Dame played us at home in 1968 - They warmed up on us, forget the score. I do remember Joe Theismann who had the fastest feet I've seen on a QB. Amazing !

and, Go Cats !!

? year
Actually, ND played us at home 4 times in the 70s, 70,72,74, and 76. '68 game was away. The 70 game was somewhat competitive. We lost 35-14, but as I recall, it was 14-all at one point. The rest were blowout losses. They have not played in Evanston since then. We beat them at home twice when Ara was here. The last time was the 35-6 blowout in 1962 which elevated us to #1 in the nation. That's the last time we've been ranked there too.

I know, I was at the 1963 championship game between the Bears and the Giants. And there weren't any problems with the field, except it was frickin' cold.

But if that is the case why wasn't it possible to play both directions when NU played Illinois? Was the stadium still somehow configured for baseball?

The football field was configured differently for that game than our game in 2010. The field ran along the third base line instead of the first base line. There wasn't much room in the endzone of that game, either.

wrigley1963.jpg

Reactions: Hungry Jack
The football field was configured differently for that game than our game in 2010. The field ran along the third base line instead of the first base line. There wasn't much room in the endzone of that game, either.

wrigley1963.jpg
Yup, that looks familiar. For the 1963 Bears v. Giants championship game, our seats were in the south leg of the grandstand on the lower deck, so in the south end zone and in shadow most of the afternoon, thus it was bloody cold.

With the announcement that the Cats will likely be playing at Wrigley in 2020, I'm curious as to why some people disliked the first experience so much. I'm a season ticket holder since 2004, and have attended all but a handful of home games since then, including the Wrigley game.

I am personally pumped for the Cats to play there again, and I agree the atmosphere was amazing and was only topped by games OSU in 2013, Michigan 2005, and maybe Wisconsin 2009. My seats were in the right field bleachers, so I didn't have much of a view either. I do live on the north side of the city, so they pregame parties, bar packages, and ease of getting to the game where big pros in my book as well.

For the people that disliked it so much, what were the specific reasons? View of the game? Congestion of getting to Wrigley / parking? Price of tickets if not a season ticket holder? I can't fathom why people would not be excited about the Cats playing there for both the game experience itself, and the publicity it generates. Looking for honest opinions here, not just a declaration that the experience sucked.
They were not part of the ST package. Sightlines pretty bad and since stadium was an open BB stadium pretty cold. Colder than Ryan as there, wind does not go through. Plus game has to bee late in the year because baseball season goes that long.Tickets pretty expensive since they had to pay Cubs for Wrigley rent and reconfiguration. And then the game would be the answer for a TRIVIA CONTEST. Fine for a single one off experience but on a regular basis...?

Last edited:
Actually, ND played us at home 4 times in the 70s, 70,72,74, and 76. '68 game was away. The 70 game was somewhat competitive. We lost 35-14, but as I recall, it was 14-all at one point. The rest were blowout losses. They have not played in Evanston since then. We beat them at home twice when Ara was here. The last time was the 35-6 blowout in 1962 which elevated us to #1 in the nation. That's the last time we've been ranked there too.
I was at a couple of those games. 70 and 72 for sure

I don't see how temperature is at all a valid complaint.

The overhang, second level at Ryan blocks the wind. Wrigley seems to channel the wind through the stands which is nice in the summer, but in late November ....

Based on absolutely nothing other than the naturally pessimistic bias of the lifelong Chicago sports fan, I still say that one way or another, and for whatever reason, Notre Dame will back out of the game at Ryan Field. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong.

H
Based on absolutely nothing other than the naturally pessimistic bias of the lifelong Chicago sports fan, I still say that one way or another, and for whatever reason, Notre Dame will back out of the game at Ryan Field. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong.

They will back out of the game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT