ADVERTISEMENT

Now I'm getting frustrated...

gocatsgo2003

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
<rant>

Getting pretty sick of reading about new offers to 2017 OL and LBs when our recruiting at the offensive skill positions seems to be lagging WAAYYY behind. Genmark-Heath, Sichterman, and Theobald may very well turn out to be great players, but there are much bigger needs both on the roster and in this recruiting class. I'm beginning to wonder whether the coaches/recruiting staff are putting enough emphasis on recruiting offensive skill guys, especially at QB and WR.

At quarterback, do we really think we have a great chance at Sears, a west-coast QB who's blowing up and getting big-time west coast offers (UCLA being the latest)? Even QBs that seem to be on our B-list are starting to garner significant regional interest (i.e. Garbers getting a Cal offer, George getting sniffs from OK State, SMU, Tulsa, etc.). Doesn't seem to be a "deep bench" of go-to guys at QB and our inability to land an A-list guy for three years running is worrisome.

At wideout, I'd be hard-pressed to say we are in the driver's seat for any of the guys with current offers. Singleton has visited, but I think a non-Vanderbilt SEC offer would close the deal (Arkansas might already be a problem, plus don't sleep on Houston); Sullivan-Brown has also visited but seems focused more on his east coast options; Taylor might be visiting but it's always going to be tough pulling a kid out of Arizona with PAC-12 offers (plus he would likely end up at ND if he did decide to come to the Midwest); Calvin, Holloman, St. Brown, Davis, and Adebo are (and always were) longshots. Again, doesn't seem like a "deep bench" of go-to guys here.

In all, I'm fine with taking an "aim high" approach to recruiting QBs and WRs so long as there's a plan if/when those guys head elsewhere. As it stands right now, this is the second or third year in a row where we might be left holding the bag in recruiting offensive skill guys, especially at QB. While Thorson is still a young player and there's plenty to dream on there, the inability to land a top-flight QB for three straight years could very well pose big problems for the program in the future.

Recruiting all comes down to planning and execution... I'm starting to question both.

</rant>

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News