ADVERTISEMENT

NU adds FCS Morgan State to 2020 schedule

I would probably never leave Vaccaro's if NU played in Baltimore-the raspberry Napoleon there may only be rivaled by Brennan's Bananas Foster in NO

I am originally from B-more but not up on the current destinations. Never was in Vaccaro's, however noted for future reference. A few recommendations, however dated, for you or Phatcat should you return: Trinacria Italian Grocery (like stepping into yesterday in a good way); Ikaros in Greektown (my family members prefer Samos); Ethel's Creole Kitchen in Mt Washington Village; Koco's Pub (best crabcakes in town); I've also heard good things about DiPasquale's but never been. Cheers

1) Hard to find an opponent with such short notice for November 2020

2) Noncon doesn’t really matter anyway so might as well have an easier opponent (and easier win) so any banged up starters can get some rest for the B1G games that matter — @Minnesota the following week could make a huge difference in the West

I have no problem with this.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

2) Noncon doesn’t really matter anyway so might as well have an easier opponent (and easier win) so any banged up starters can get some rest for the B1G games that matter — @Minnesota the following week could make a huge difference in the West

has been explained why NU waited so long to schedule an opponent for a November game in 2020?

This is going to hurt us in the CFP rankings. Will need to win all of our games now. No margin for error against that schedule.

That’s literally the entire concept. Win all your non-conference games and try to run the table in the B1G to get to the title game. Even a one- or two-loss B1G champ stands a shot at a very high-profile bowl game.

That’s literally the entire concept. Win all your non-conference games and try to run the table in the B1G to get to the title game. Even a one- or two-loss B1G champ stands a shot at a very high-profile bowl game.

I would hope we are eyeing something better than just a very high-profile bowl game.

If we have one loss in conference against that non-conference schedule, we are not going to the CFP. If we had a decent non-conf schedule, we’d have more margin of safety. I guess the concept is that it’s easier to run the table in the B1G than to put a sufficiently decent non-conference schedule together to weather a single loss. I guess with our record in the non-conference last year vs. our B1G record, maybe that’s not as crazy as it seems.

Reactions: drewjin
has been explained why NU waited so long to schedule an opponent for a November game in 2020?

I’m not sure. I assumed it was because NU now opens the season with a Big Ten game against MSU in 2020 and 2021. Not sure when that was decided.

Come on man, you’re smarter than this. Don’t be a moron. We’ve got the best athletic director in the country. Don’t you think he looked at all these options? It’s incredibly difficult to schedule a nonconference opponents in November with one years notice. We obviously had little choice but to schedule Morgan State. I am sure it pains Phillips as much as it pains us. Don’t you think he wants to draw a big crowd to Ryan Field? Clearly a move of last resort. Sheesh.
Did a different opponent cancel on us? Or were we just really late to get this one scheduled?

Would have made more sense to play this game against Morgan St. at Wrigley, keeping our game against Wisconsin at Ryan. Guarantee of two big crowds, rather than just one.

Hawaii and BYU seem to have challenges finding schools to schedule. Curious if either of those options were explored, especially if travel away was an available alternative. I certainly can see how scheduling distant schools for a home game might be seen as problematic if filling the stands at Ryan Field is the chief consideration. TV optics not as much.

Last edited:
Hawaii and BYU seem to have challenges finding schools to schedule. Curious if either of those options were explored, especially if travel away was an available alternative. I certainly can see how scheduling distant schools for a home game might be seen as problematic if filling the stands at Ryan Field is the chief consideration. TV optics not as much.
Hawaii can KMA. I have a long memory

I would hope we are eyeing something better than just a very high-profile bowl game.

If we have one loss in conference against that non-conference schedule, we are not going to the CFP. If we had a decent non-conf schedule, we’d have more margin of safety. I guess the concept is that it’s easier to run the table in the B1G than to put a sufficiently decent non-conference schedule together to weather a single loss. I guess with our record in the non-conference last year vs. our B1G record, maybe that’s not as crazy as it seems.

That applies to almost any program. See the 2018 version of Ohio State, who actually had a more competitive non-con slate than the three P5 programs who made the CFP (who played teams like the Citadel, Furman, and Florida Atl). The Buckeyes sure could have used Nick Bosa against Purdue; the eventual second pick in the draft sat out the season after his injury in the victory against 15th ranked TCU.

I'd much rather enter B1G games healthy and without having much of our playbook revealed. That we'll likely see true freshman take the field for the first time in non-con play - courtesy of the new red-shirt rules - is incentive enough to watch the games.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
That applies to almost any program. See the 2018 version of Ohio State, who actually had a more competitive non-con slate than the three P5 programs who made the CFP (who played teams like the Citadel, Furman, and Florida Atl). The Buckeyes sure could have used Nick Bosa against Purdue; the eventual second pick in the draft sat out the season after his injury in the victory against 15th ranked TCU.

I'd much rather enter B1G games healthy and without having much of our playbook revealed. That we'll likely see true freshman take the field for the first time in non-con play - courtesy of the new red-shirt rules - is incentive enough to watch the games.

Would be nice to win the game.

I like this line of thought and it seems to me that OSU has had plenty of seasons with creampuff Non Conference scheduling and it hasn't hurt their overall reputation or performance.

Also playing the freshmen a game or two in Non-conference would be a great way to see who is ready to burn their shirts while preserving their availability for two or three additional games as the season progresses.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that playing Morgan State will not make or break the 2020 season, nor will it affect season ticket sales like the performance of the Hunter and the 2019 Cats will.

Reactions: mikewebb68
I would LOVE to play BYU. I don't think anybody's enthusiastic about playing Hawaii after the 2004 ref shenanigans against NU and MSU. But I would enthusiastically support a home-and-home series with BYU.

Uugh...

If we're set on going the FCS route at least keep it local (e.g. ISU/SIU/UNI) to boost interest . I guess the feeling is ST's will sell briskly regardless of rest of slate because of Wisconsin game at Wrigley.

How will the Wrigley game work? Is that game included in ST package? Do they try to give you an equivalent seat or do you pick based on purple points?

How will the Wrigley game work? Is that game included in ST package? Do they try to give you an equivalent seat or do you pick based on purple points?

I assume it will be same as Illinois game which was included as part of ST's

Uugh...

If we're set on going the FCS route at least keep it local (e.g. ISU/SIU/UNI) to boost interest . I guess the feeling is ST's will sell briskly regardless of rest of slate because of Wisconsin game at Wrigley.
And yet that game will likely not be part of the ticket package

I assume it will be same as Illinois game which was included as part of ST's
No it wasn't. You had to purchase the Wrigley game separately. Had first choice but..... If you want a novelty game at Wrigley, why a game that is likely to sell out anyway? Why not MN or say IN Rut Md?

Reactions: drewjin

I thought the BIG was not doing games at that level anymore. Why did we have an opening in NOV?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT