ADVERTISEMENT

NU among the top 10 stressful colleges...

Heh, I'm gonna take a wild guess that this reporter never visited, much less attended, any of the service academies.

There's stress, and then there's stress. When you take the stress of challenging academics, then add to it the stress of a hierarchical military environment, than add to the top of that intentional time deprivation, well, you begin to fold stresses on top of stresses.

The academies are in a whole 'nother league; not one of the schools on this list comes close.

I'd like to see studies of stress as it is understood by college freshmen-to-be today and what stress meant to those now 50+. Are young people today more or less able to succeed in a stressful environment? I think knowing who you are when you enter university atmosphere is key and that is harder to achieve today. But then I've only done all these stages once and having a larger sample to draw on would be a help.

http://www.collegemagazine.com/cms-top-10-stressful-colleges/

Came across this on a slow day, fwiw: click bait, or valid? My hunch is that there is some validity because the quarter system does not reward lollygagging, as my kids learned....

I pretty much sleep walked through NU with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I didn't have to take many liberal arts courses, though. Freshman english was the hardest course that I took at NU and my SAT score was almost high enough that I didn't have to take it.

Every college is stressful if you make it stressful. Discipline yourself and every college is a breeze.

Every college is stressful if you make it stressful. Discipline yourself and every college is a breeze.

It's a breeze if you're in a major for which you have an aptitude. I breezed through engineering. I would have failed most liberal arts majors.

Reactions: Noah121
I pretty much sleep walked through NU with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I didn't have to take many liberal arts courses, though. Freshman english was the hardest course that I took at NU and my SAT score was almost high enough that I didn't have to take it.
How was mechanical engineering? (That's my major. I'm an incoming freshman.)

I graduated in 1968 so I might not be much help. If you have a math aptitude and are interested in mechanical stuff then it shouldn't be too hard. It isn't like high school, though. At NU most of your classmates were A students in high school. There won't be any dummies in your classes. That does make the classes more interesting as the instructor can keep it challenging.

I graduated in 1968 so I might not be much help. If you have a math aptitude and are interested in mechanical stuff then it shouldn't be too hard. It isn't like high school, though. At NU most of your classmates were A students in high school. There won't be any dummies in your classes. That does make the classes more interesting as the instructor can keep it challenging.
I was one of the dummies. I had to work my ass off. Also had to hold down a full time job to afford it. I burned out a little during my junior year and my gpa plummeted. Got back into the groove in senior year as graduation came into sight. Was not sure an actual diploma would be in my binder thingy until I opened it up after coming off the stage. To me, it was stressful as heck.

To the incoming freshman... Don't skip class and don't fall behind on homework. As obvious as this sounds. It wasn't for a lot of us.

It's a breeze if you're in a major for which you have an aptitude. I breezed through engineering. I would have failed most liberal arts majors.

That's very true. Biology wasn't difficult for me, though I did struggle with Integral calculus. I think you have to be aware of and follow your interests. I've been told that much of ecology is very similar to economics by econ majors who switched to biology, but I doubt I would have been as interested in economics as I was in biology.

You won't see specific Mechanical Engineering courses until mid sophomore year. Gotta get past the large intro courses freshman year. I didn't care for those large classes much, especially as a ChemE major I had a lot of classes with the pre-meds my freshman year. It got more interesting from my junior year. I still think Fitzphile was one of my d-bag TAs ;) J/k

You won't see specific Mechanical Engineering courses until mid sophomore year. Gotta get past the large intro courses freshman year. I didn't care for those large classes much, especially as a ChemE major I had a lot of classes with the pre-meds my freshman year. It got more interesting from my junior year. I still think Fitzphile was one of my d-bag TAs ;) J/k
The kidding part was about being a TA. He was dead serious about the d-bag part. :eek:

I should also clarify not going to NU just curious about the major itself sorry if that caused confusion

No problem, I think the experiences are similar for engineering students. Also be good to your TA.

Reactions: Noah121
I think the pre-meds do create a certain degree of stress because they can be overly competitive, paranoid, obnoxious pricks at times. The worst were the guys in the front row who asked questions and argued so they could show the professor what they knew all the time. As a football player, I wasn't considered a threat to them and they treated me like some harmless, dumb St. Bernard puppy until they asked me what I got on the last midterm. I used to gun for high test scores just to blow some of their minds.

Reactions: rmndcat
Heh, I'm gonna take a wild guess that this reporter never visited, much less attended, any of the service academies.

There's stress, and then there's stress. When you take the stress of challenging academics, then add to it the stress of a hierarchical military environment, than add to the top of that intentional time deprivation, well, you begin to fold stresses on top of stresses.

The academies are in a whole 'nother league; not one of the schools on this list comes close.

True. That said, beast barracks do weed out a fair number of those who would struggle most before Plebe year begins.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I loved the quarter system as a student. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

But I taught a little bit in the semester system. By the twelfth week I was like, "hey you guys, what's going....whad-a-ya hear?"

I think the pre-meds do create a certain degree of stress because they can be overly competitive, paranoid, obnoxious pricks at times. The worst were the guys in the front row who asked questions and argued so they could show the professor what they knew all the time. As a football player, I wasn't considered a threat to them and they treated me like some harmless, dumb St. Bernard puppy until they asked me what I got on the last midterm. I used to gun for high test scores just to blow some of their minds.

I always hated you for setting the curve on those tests. I always wanted to sit behind you and pelt the back of your head with spitballs, but I refused to give up that front center seat.

I loved the quarter system as a student. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

But I taught a little bit in the semester system. By the twelfth week I was like, "hey you guys, what's going....whad-a-ya hear?"
For those of us that needed summer jobs to pay for college, I hated it, hated it, hated it. By the time we got out in June, the best jobs were taken and we had to wait for the initial people to get fired and create openings. Lost revenue. I ended up getting a year-round job on campus and quit going home. That paid off since I could take an extra class each summer which allowed me to have key drops during especially difficult quarters and still graduate on time.

No problem, I think the experiences are similar for engineering students. Also be good to your TA.

This.

Thankfully, when I was a TA for EA4 and Math-234, I never had students threaten me or be mean to me. By my last semester of TA'ing, my students loved me as a TA. (I think it helped that some of my students were the NU student-athletes that would see me support them at their games!)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT