ADVERTISEMENT

NU back in the picture with Tre Bryant

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Northwestern is back in the picture with Tre Bryant. In fact, running backs coach Matt MacPherson was at St. Louis (Mo.) Christian Brothers College High today to watch Bryant practice.

Bryant, a three-star 2016 running back, is currently committed to Kansas State, but he reopened his recruitment last week. He initially chose K-State over finalists Northwestern, Kansas, Minnesota and Syracuse back in July.

The 5-foot-10, 190-pounder has already set up official visits to Minnesota this coming weekend and Nebraska the weekend after. He has already taken an official to Kansas State, so he would have two remaining. Northwestern and Syracuse are the two other schools in the picture at this point.

Bryant told WildcatReport via direct message that he is still in the preliminary stages with Northwestern.

“I haven't talked with the coaches about visiting yet but I'd definitely be interested in taking a visit,” he stated. “I would say the next step is just staying in contact with the coaches. I have not talked with Coach (Pat) Fitzgerald yet.”

Bryant said that once he reopened his recruitment, CBC coach Scott Pingel let all the schools that had interest in Bryant before his commitment know that he had reopened his recruitment. Northwestern was interested enough to send MacPherson out to see him within days.

Bryant’s current plan is to stay committed to Kansas State while he looks at other schools and makes sure that his first choice was the right one.

"I really like the family atmosphere up there, and the players and I fit in with the environment up there. That's one of the main reasons I picked K-State,” he told GopherIllustrated in a Monday story. “I just want to go where I feel most comfortable at, and I'm looking at where I fit into the offensive systems because I am going there to play football. But also, just the environment and the atmosphere of the program is a big thing because I will be there for three or four years."

Fitzgerald has been a stickler about insisting that his own commitments decommit before visiting other schools. Similarly, he may ask Bryant to decommit before inviting him for an official visit to Evanston.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News