ADVERTISEMENT

NU fans vs football fans

Just make sure it's Panda?

oh_yes_creepy_loki.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: rmndcat
You don't think other schools, including the most successful programs, have fans that critique the crap out of coaches and players? We are cottony soft compared to all others. There is not a single school which is successful in the Power 5 that has a fan base that is strictly rah-rah, non-critical, Pop Warner like. If anything, the amount of expectation and criticism correlates sharply with the success of the program. This doesn't seem to hurt other programs. If there are players that get turned off by this, then frankly they probably wouldn't survive in any other Power 5 program and are better in the MAC or outside of Division I. I highly doubt there is a single prospective HS student that bases his decision on this message board. If they do consider football/athletics at all, it would strictly be the W-L's. Just like the potential fans who aren't alums. Win, and everything will be fine.

As far as tearing down what we profess to love - you must tear down in order to rebuild. If it's broke, it doesn't make sense to try to fix it with extension cords and duct tape. Pierce the boil, to let the pus out and allow it to heal. Better to start over. The offense is starting to like we may be in need of a reboot. The WR unit for sure is already there. At least invest in an effing automatic tennis ball machine, for Pete's sake! Now, you could argue, nothing we do here will matter and the admin and coaches ignore this board. While I think there may be some truth to that, there are indications that they are aware of the sentiments of the fan base, and there is reasonable basis to believe that fan base sentiment may have a small influence on them. Even if there is not, the value comes from letting the fanbase let off their steam and think we may make a difference. At least for me, that's necessary to maintain sanity and remain engaged when you have to stomach the failings of our putrid passing offense and sit through debacles like Tennessee. Otherwise, I couldn't stand it and would just walk away from it all.

And finally, we engage in sophomoric arguments from fans with visiting teams that make everyone look stupid, because that's one of the purposes of these message boards, like it or not. It's either that or engage in sophomoric arguments (like this one) from fans of our own team that still make everyone look stupid.

Excellent post. Agree on all counts.

Your mind must be a cluttered place. How do you come up with that question?
There was a big stink raised about the "organic" label recently. It turns out that in order to claim something as organic, all you have to do is designate a portion of your normal growing area and not add chemicals or spray directly onto that area. That does not stop the chemicals which are sprayed over the rest of the area from drifting over there nor does it stop chemicals which are added at ground level from leaching into the organic area through the soil.

If you look at the organic bins at the grocery store, you will usually see that the fruits range from those that look just like those in the normal section to fruits that look radically different. These are those that are harvested from the edges of this area nearest the main area to those that are harvested farthest away. The ones harvested nearest are usually the nicest looking so those are the ones that people actually buy.

Therefore, you are paying two and sometimes three times the cost and getting the exact same product.

There was a big stink raised about the "organic" label recently. It turns out that in order to claim something as organic, all you have to do is designate a portion of your normal growing area and not add chemicals or spray directly onto that area. That does not stop the chemicals which are sprayed over the rest of the area from drifting over there nor does it stop chemicals which are added at ground level from leaching into the organic area through the soil.

If you look at the organic bins at the grocery store, you will usually see that the fruits range from those that look just like those in the normal section to fruits that look radically different. These are those that are harvested from the edges of this area nearest the main area to those that are harvested farthest away. The ones harvested nearest are usually the nicest looking so those are the ones that people actually buy.

Therefore, you are paying two and sometimes three times the cost and getting the exact same product.

I would imagine that "Organic" items would look less appealing. Organic usually means no artificial chemicals plus, the land producing the product has to be documented clean of non natural fertilizers and so forth.
I think "Organic" is really more hype "BS" than anything else. My family raises beef and of course we have gardens. I do believe in heirloom seed, because the vegetables taste better.

Does Turk pay more for organic? Does he buy "grass feed"? If so, I have to call BS on my dearest Turk.

Della - you are relatively new here but been around enough to form an opinion. I think some here, usually those I consider to be the pollyannas, are a bit over the top on Turk. What is your impression?

I think some here, usually those I consider to be the pollyannas, are a bit over the top on Turk.
I have been here for many years and proudly profess myself to be a polyanna.

I have no problem with Turk. I always read his posts and - from a polyanna perspective - I find that the number of posts where he strongly supports the coaches and the team about matches the ones where he is negative. I do not find him to be annoyingly negative nor cloyingly positive (that is my job). The only negative thing that I have ever said about him was that his writing frequently presents his opinions in a form which implies that they are supportable facts. He and I have swapped very civil posts on this issue and he does seem to be making more of an effort to delineate between opinions and statements from sources.

I also find Turks defense-of-indefensible-positions threads on the Rant Board to be entertaining as heck.

There definitely is a culture clash but it isn't unintended. NU reaches out and even markets itself as "Chicago's team". This marketing is exclusive to football.

The following is the All Turk School of Personality Fan Status Chart

1. Stepford Fan. i.e., everything is always fine. NU degree, bleed purple, "My life for NU".
2. Pollyanna. Everything is not fine but I'm afraid to say anything for an assortment of reasons, including status and credibility issues.
3. Wine and Cheeser: Give money and support the program, NU Alum, may hit a bowl game but doesn't know player names other than maybe the QB.
4. Balanced. Give money to the program, free to speak mind, very very smart football fans.
5. Chicago Slob fan. roots for the cats, speaks mind, doesn't give a dime outside of possible ST. But loves the program and the greater Football cultures, i.e., tailgating, etc.
6. Occasional fan. May hit a game a year, doesn't know many player names, still internalizing the program and could advance upward in fan status charts.
7. Shills. Well, you know who you are.
I must be 5B or something. Exult in every win and anguish in every loss. Live 800 miles away so no STs but manage to schlep out for a few games every year. Don't donate to the football program but donate to the university. Definitely speak my mind. And definitely a slob

i guess by small town working class hick you are defining me, and the people that clothed, fed and raised you to be the discriminatory ass you sound off to be. my small town working class hick ass is working 70plus hours seven days a week to raise my family and put my wife through college. paying for this on my own dime. not begging for schollies or grants. no help from this country, state or you. when she finishes she will work her working class ass off to put me through college. even with college we will be considered in the working class. its all good, so long as our children and grandchildren have the opporitunity for something better than we have.

i guess by small town working class hick you are defining me, and the people that clothed, fed and raised you to be the discriminatory ass you sound off to be. my small town working class hick ass is working 70plus hours seven days a week to raise my family and put my wife through college. paying for this on my own dime. not begging for schollies or grants. no help from this country, state or you. when she finishes she will work her working class ass off to put me through college. even with college we will be considered in the working class. its all good, so long as our children and grandchildren have the opporitunity for something better than we have.

Maybe you could become a blacksmith!

Whenever I hear about life in a small town, I think of that hilarious scene in House Party:

Pop: "I'm from a small town called "Fresh Off a Cop's Ass", and you're making me homesick."

Whenever I hear about life in a small town, I count my lucky stars I wasn't born in one.

Whenever I hear about life in a small town, I count my lucky stars I wasn't born in one.

Yeah, nothing says fun like an 1hr and 30 minute commute to work each way.

I can get from one end of my town to the other at 5PM in 5 minutes.

It depends on the town. I had a summer job in college just outside Bellaire, Michigan. That was great. Some of the nicest people I have met were in places like Vienna, IL, Carson City, NV (some really good Thai food there, btw), and St. Cloud, MN.

Yeah, nothing says fun like an 1hr and 30 minute commute to work each way.

I can get from one end of my town to the other at 5PM in 5 minutes.
There was a traffic jam in the town where I used to live. A dog fell asleep in the main intersection.

Reactions: della and Fitz51
It depends on the town. I had a summer job in college just outside Bellaire, Michigan. That was great. Some of the nicest people I have met were in places like Vienna, IL, Carson City, NV (some really good Thai food there, btw), and St. Cloud, MN.

Small world. I am guessing that Thai restaurant you liked in Carson City was The Basil on North Carson Street? Took one of my NU grad sons and his family there for a birthday dinner when we were there visiting them.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Small world. I am guessing that Thai restaurant you liked in Carson City was The Basil on North Carson Street? Took one of my NU grad sons and his family there for a birthday dinner when we were there visiting them.
Yup. That's it. Some of the best Thai I have found anywhere in the States. There is also a really good bakery, Paul Schat's, on the south side of town in a strip mall. There was a small Thai place next to it that was also quite good. And the made-to-order guacamole at the Gold Dust, if you could stomach the cigarette smoke and the gauntlet of slots on the way to the restaurant, was really good.

I will miss my client in Carson. Neat little town. Never made it to Virginia City.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT