ADVERTISEMENT

NU fans vs football fans

So we have an internet pissing match over air quality?

My advice to you all is to not start a flame war over SOx, NOx, and COx. And particulates for that matter. Just don't go there. Innocent people may get harmed.

Innocent people in the Big Cities you mean?

how high is that murder rate in chicago now days?
About as high as the rate of cousins marrying each other in small towns. That is to say, overblown and only really good for "culture war" jabs at people.

I live in Chicago and I haven't been murdered once!

About as high as the rate of cousins marrying each other in small towns. That is to say, overblown and only really good for "culture war" jabs at people.

I live in Chicago and I haven't been murdered once!
you telling me that shiite dont go on in chicago?
your chances get better every day...

Much like the nationwide trends, crime in Chicago peaked in the late 80s and has been on a steady decline ever since. If you look at recent crime per capita numbers, you'll see that Chicago isn't even in the top 20. You're much more likely to encounter trouble walking around Memphis.

Here's a link: http://kdvr.com/2015/05/08/by-the-numbers-here-are-the-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/

Last edited:
Chicago is a tale of two cities. We have third world/drug lord violence conditions in neighborhoods south and west of the downtown. My neighborhood is quite safe, though there is no shortage of petty theft and late night muggings of drunken college kids. Very recently there was a very disturbing break-in where a woman was savagely beaten, so there is always the threat of a violent crime.

Reactions: curtis b.
You don't have to lock your doors where I live, but I see your point. Someone steals your car in the city and insurance buys you a new one.

You don't have to lock your doors where I live, but I see your point. Someone steals your car in the city and insurance buys you a new one.
Trust me, you'd rather not have your car stolen.

There was a*funny* story about 2 months ago where a couple in Lincoln Park (not exactly a low end zip code) came outside to find their GMC SUV up on cinder blocks, all 4 wheels gone.

I love my City neighborhood. We are going to raise my son here, endure crappy pro football, 4 months of inhospitable weather, and pay taxes out of wazu to enjoy this little urban bourgeois enclave, that includes a brewpub, coffee roaster, donut shop, the chilaquiles ever, and a host of other goodies within 10 minutes' walk.

But there is part of me that would be quite, quite content to live in a small mountain town (provided craft beer, dark roast coffee, and other implements were available) and raise Little H. I could do it. Don't think Mrs. Jack would go for it.

Reactions: RhabdoWildcat
"But there is part of me that would be quite, quite content to live in a small mountain town (provided craft beer, dark roast coffee, and other implements were available) and raise Little H. I could do it. Don't think Mrs. Jack would go for it"

There a gazillion towns in New England that would meet your criteria. And some like Hunter NY wouls allow the Mrs to still get a city dose regularly,

There are a ton of towns like this close to Boston as well. Look into it.

"But there is part of me that would be quite, quite content to live in a small mountain town (provided craft beer, dark roast coffee, and other implements were available) and raise Little H. I could do it. Don't think Mrs. Jack would go for it"

There a gazillion towns in New England that would meet your criteria. And some like Hunter NY wouls allow the Mrs to still get a city dose regularly,

There are a ton of towns like this close to Boston as well. Look into it.

I have lived in Boston and skied New England, plied the beachers, and hiked the Presidentials. But I almost certainly would go west to find this life. Santa Barbara, though not a small town, would probably be the top choice (Mrs. Jack and I looked at homes in the past).

But as long as Mrs jack's parents are alive, we'll stick around here so they can be grandma and grandpa. Not suffering here in Chicago.

You're much more likely to encounter trouble walking around Memphis.
A comparison to Memphis is damning with faint praise. Memphis has a very high crime rate. Being from Nashville, I was not pleased when we made top 15 in violent crime a few years ago. But Memphis has regularly been top 5.

Trust me, you'd rather not have your car stolen.

There was a*funny* story about 2 months ago where a couple in Lincoln Park (not exactly a low end zip code) came outside to find their GMC SUV up on cinder blocks, all 4 wheels gone.

I love my City neighborhood. We are going to raise my son here, endure crappy pro football, 4 months of inhospitable weather, and pay taxes out of wazu to enjoy this little urban bourgeois enclave, that includes a brewpub, coffee roaster, donut shop, the chilaquiles ever, and a host of other goodies within 10 minutes' walk.

But there is part of me that would be quite, quite content to live in a small mountain town (provided craft beer, dark roast coffee, and other implements were available) and raise Little H. I could do it. Don't think Mrs. Jack would go for it.

I live in East Tennessee and I love it. I love running, horses, hiking and whitewater. Where I live is perfect for me.

What rivers? Nantahala? Nolichucky? Ocooe? French Broad is my favorite, just for the name.

Hiwassee, Ocoee, Nantahala and Chattooga...

I suppose my favorite is the Ocoee (bottom half). The top is too much for me (scary)

A comparison to Memphis is damning with faint praise. Memphis has a very high crime rate. Being from Nashville, I was not pleased when we made top 15 in violent crime a few years ago. But Memphis has regularly been top 5.
I'm not saying Chicago is like Memphis. I'm saying Memphis is much worse than Chicago. Chicago doesn't appear on any list of violent crime per capita list that I can find. I was just pointing out that the narrative of Chicago being a dangerous place is fairly misplaced.

I've seen several Chicago neighborhoods on lists of highest crime per capita, which says that there are some really bad places in Chicago and the rest of it is about as safe as any big city could hope to be.

I'm not saying Chicago is like Memphis. I'm saying Memphis is much worse than Chicago. Chicago doesn't appear on any list of violent crime per capita list that I can find. I was just pointing out that the narrative of Chicago being a dangerous place is fairly misplaced.

I've seen several Chicago neighborhoods on lists of highest crime per capita, which says that there are some really bad places in Chicago and the rest of it is about as safe as any big city could hope to be.
In 2005, I was in Iraq. To put the news reports in perspective and calm my wife, I would point out to her through the first half of the year that the number of violent deaths in Baghdad was about the same as in Chicago. Baghdad pulled away in the second half of the year.

Chicago is a tale of two cities. We have third world/drug lord violence conditions in neighborhoods south and west of the downtown. My neighborhood is quite safe, though there is no shortage of petty theft and late night muggings of drunken college kids. Very recently there was a very disturbing break-in where a woman was savagely beaten, so there is always the threat of a violent crime.
you actually just reminded me why i moved back to east TENNESSEE. the big city isnt for some of us, just like the small town isnt for others. i do remember seeing some of the nicer areas around chicago. cant remeber the names or the areas but they were nice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT