ADVERTISEMENT

NU in hunt for Bama transfer guard

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Rivals’ Corey Evans reports that NU is one of the schools in the mix for Bama transfer Kira Lewis. The 6-3 guard averaged 13.5 points and 2.9 assists as a true freshman and would back three years of eligibility remaining.

Reactions: ricko654321
OT but also 4 star incoming freshman PG Sahvir Wheeler just decomitted from Texas A&M. He was on the same AAU team as Miller Kopp and they're good friends.

Jeez... had been committed since September 2016!

We need a ballhandler, but my goodness is he tiny. Might as well find out more if you're Collins.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Jeff Goodman called Kira Lewis a "BIG transfer." I think the staff also had some kind of relationship with him in high school.

Reactions: ricko654321
Jet quick with a good handle. He wouldn't be a good match up defensively in every case, but I think he could be in the rotation right away.

Rivals’ Corey Evans reports that NU is one of the schools in the mix for Bama transfer Kira Lewis. The 6-3 guard averaged 13.5 points and 2.9 assists as a true freshman and would back three years of eligibility remaining.

Considering Bama fired Avery Johnson, I wonder if Lewis could get a hardship waiver and be available immediately. Although announcing the transfer before the firing could hurt that argument...

Joey Brunk, 6 11 forward from Butler transfering. Will graduate and transfer with 2 years eligibility left.

Another guy with an NU offer, like Kira Lewis. Brunk and Benson were the two centers offered in 2016, if memory serves. Would seem to be worth a shot to have him come in and compete with Young and Jones for the starting spot.

Jet quick with a good handle. He wouldn't be a good match up defensively in every case, but I think he could be in the rotation right away.

I mean, I think he'd immediately become the favorite to start at lead guard.

I saw some tweets that he's only 17 years old as of earlier this month. That's nuts.

Considering Bama fired Avery Johnson, I wonder if Lewis could get a hardship waiver and be available immediately. Although announcing the transfer before the firing could hurt that argument...
No need for hardship. Just threaten to sue the NCAA. Enough exceptions have already been made that the NCAA would have no real justification for making anyone sit out anymore. Hunter Johnson may be long remembered as the last significant major sport transfer who had to sit out.

No need for hardship. Just threaten to sue the NCAA. Enough exceptions have already been made that the NCAA would have no real justification for making anyone sit out anymore. Hunter Johnson may be long remembered as the last significant major sport transfer who had to sit out.

Hunter probably would have redshirted anyway with Thorson as a fifth-year senior.

Hunter had no reason to try to become eligible but I agree that he might be the guy. In today's NCAA you should expect transfers to be immediately eligible.

Are there any Duke bench warmers that might be interested in some more playing time?? Didn't we get one of them named Michael Thompson or something like that about 12 years ago. He averaged something like 12 points/9rb a game until he couldn't make free throws and then walked off the court on Bill Carmody. Literally- it was right in front on me. But I think CC could hit the jackpot with some of the players for Duke etc that just want to play??? I really hope that CC can find some kids to improve on the past two seasons of frustration and get us relevant again??

Are there any Duke bench warmers that might be interested in some more playing time?? Didn't we get one of them named Michael Thompson or something like that about 12 years ago. He averaged something like 12 points/9rb a game until he couldn't make free throws and then walked off the court on Bill Carmody. Literally- it was right in front on me. But I think CC could hit the jackpot with some of the players for Duke etc that just want to play??? I really hope that CC can find some kids to improve on the past two seasons of frustration and get us relevant again??

He was more like a 10/5 guy. He played in 13 games his first year at NU and then walked out after three games during his senior year. It was a strange end to a strange career. Considering his Duke and McDonald's All-American pedigree, he was a big disappointment at NU.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
He was more like a 10/5 guy. He played in 13 games his first year at NU and then walked out after three games during his senior year. It was a strange end to a strange career. Considering his Duke and McDonald's All-American pedigree, he was a big disappointment at NU.
We could really use about 5 of the 10/5 guys on our team right now. I just hope they will pan out better than MT did. I think the excuse for MT walking away was that he had a heart-irregularity or something like that. I was really disappointed when he quit the team. It seemed more like he just lacked a heart-regularity for the game/team. Does EEshmayer have some kids for us to recruit?? It is time for CC to mine some gems for us!! Please CC, play a magic-maker asap!!

i think we lost a center recruit to them a few years ago, who got offered late by duke and went there and never played

He couldn't shoot. He could only score if he was standing directly under the basket, and even then it was a coin flip that the ball would actually go in the hoop. Why they (or he) thought he'd be a good fit in a Princeton system is beyond me. BC tried to change the offense to post him up more often and it didn't help, though it did lead to the awesome moment in his debut (against DePaul, I think?) when he threw down a massive dunk and we all thought we had our dominant player of the future. Hopefully he's doing well, wherever he is.

We could really use about 5 of the 10/5 guys on our team right now. I just hope they will pan out better than MT did. I think the excuse for MT walking away was that he had a heart-irregularity or something like that. I was really disappointed when he quit the team. It seemed more like he just lacked a heart-regularity for the game/team. Does EEshmayer have some kids for us to recruit?? It is time for CC to mine some gems for us!! Please CC, play a magic-maker asap!!
mick, that was a un-called attack toward the young man from a supposed adult. I doubt very much that you have any idea what the young man dealing with.
Quite an insensitive thing for someone to post about a young man, who reportedly was dealing with medical issues. Especially since I'd bet you know nothing about the circumstances of the situation.

mick, that was a un-called attack toward the young man from a supposed adult. I doubt very much that you have any idea what the young man dealing with.

Quite an insensitive thing for someone to post about a young man, who reportedly was dealing with medical issues. Especially since I'd bet you know nothing about the circumstances of the situation.
Holy hell! You never miss an opportunity to pick a fight, do you, "supposed adult?"

MT is probably 36-37 years old at this point, willy. I think he could handle the criticism that his collegiate career did not pan out the way we all expected.

i think we lost a center recruit to them a few years ago, who got offered late by duke and went there and never played

I think you are referring to the big from North Carolina whose final two was NU and Georgia....he went to Georgia, never played and left after a couple years.

Holy hell! You never miss an opportunity to pick a fight, do you, "supposed adult?"

MT is probably 36-37 years old at this point, willy. I think he could handle the criticism that his collegiate career did not pan out the way we all expected.
So you think it's ok for some anonymous poster to make a biting accusation of a guy who played for NU, saying that "he lacked the hearth for the game". Really , sorry but I feel that kind of crap is uncalled for and I don't care if he is 50 years old now!

So you think it's ok for some anonymous poster to make a biting accusation of a guy who played for NU, saying that "he lacked the hearth for the game". Really , sorry but I feel that kind of crap is uncalled for and I don't care if he is 50 years old now!

He meant literal heart and “heart” problems. Hard to completely separate the two.

Walker Lambiotte, another transfer from Duke, played well for us on some bad teams. He was one of the smoothest players to wear purple.

Sorry about that. Really. I'll try to be more empathetic. So he actually really had a physical problem?? I wasn't aware- sorry if I offended anybody. I hope nobody dislikes me for what I wrote. It was clearly a mistake on my behalf. It was just when I saw him walk away from the team during a game at WR, it seemed like he and Carmody just didn't get along or something like that. I had no idea that the reason was actually due to a physical problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Sorry about that. Really. I'll try to be more empathetic. So he actually really had a physical problem?? I wasn't aware- sorry if I offended anybody. I hope nobody dislikes me for what I wrote. It was clearly a mistake on my behalf. It was just when I saw him walk away from the team during a game at WR, it seemed like he and Carmody just didn't get along or something like that. I had no idea that the reason was actually due to a physical problem.
Another soul saved on the internet!

All apologies accepted. seemed like quite a few guys walked away from the program during those times. Sean Wink comes to mind and a kid from University H.S., who wanted to badly to play center.

Reactions: mickbula
Another soul saved on the internet!
All apologies accepted. seemed like quite a few guys walked away from the program during those times. Sean Wink comes to mind and a kid from University H.S., who wanted to badly to play center.
Thanks, fellas. Can I say something though?? I do wish we had more players like Jeremy Larkin at NU. When he retired due to injury/health problems, he didn't quit the team. He was a genuine stud as a rb for us. But he got hurt and then stuck with the team and I think was one of our best coaches and unsung heroes last season. With Larkin's tutelage, a young stud named Isiah Bowser was able to kick some tush for us under some pretty harrowing circumstances. I was never physically gifted enough to play anything at NU other than intramural sports. Gosh- wouldn't it be fun to be so talented as to go up against the best players in any sport in college?? I hope none of our players get hurt. But the fact is that some of them do get hurt and have to retire from playing. And if you got hurt- wouldn't you like to stay with the team and support them?? BCarmody was probably not the best coach to play for (as evidenced by what happened with one of our best players- Kevin Coble), but I hope if any of our players in the future get hurt or have to retire, they stick with the team and support them like Larkin. Wouldn't that be pretty cool too??

Last edited:
Reactions: LansingCat
Glad that CC offered, but I dont see how we would beat out Duke and Arizona for Lewis.

Duke is hard to beat out, although why they need transfers with Coach K bring in his usual All-America horde every year is beyond me. As far as Arizona, there's more than a little whiff of scandal down there recently, and I certainly think that's fair game to bring up when recruiting against them.

This is the time of year to rehash old news — and it was lame that Coble chose to go on a family vacation...

Several things no doubt happened in the run-up to that decision, but Coble made the wrong one - or rather, a definitive decision - when he chose Hawaii over Italy.

This is the time of year to rehash old news — and it was lame that Coble chose to go on a family vacation...

Several things no doubt happened in the run-up to that decision, but Coble made the wrong one - or rather, a definitive decision - when he chose Hawaii over Italy.
Wasn't Coble injured at the time? Thought he was also using a trainer, that the family was paying for. Still think that the bad choice was not allowing him to continue playing at NU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT