ADVERTISEMENT

NU Ladies Golf play in the Darius Rucker Invitational Today

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
Ladies play in the DRI at the Long Cove Club on Hilton Head Island, SC today. The tournament will be televised on The Golf Channel 2:30-5:30 PM Monday -Wednesday. The DRI is an elite tournament, second only to the NCAA in status. The 16 team field has 10 of the top 15 college teams entered-NU is #12. Peter Dye's Long Cove is generally considered to be more difficult than its' famous neighbor, Harbour Town.
Weather will be 65*-70* with showers possible.

Ladies play in the DRI at the Long Cove Club on Hilton Head Island, SC today. The tournament will be televised on The Golf Channel 2:30-5:30 PM Monday -Wednesday. The DRI is an elite tournament, second only to the NCAA in status. The 16 team field has 10 of the top 15 college teams entered-NU is #12. Peter Dye's Long Cove is generally considered to be more difficult than its' famous neighbor, Harbour Town.
Weather will be 65*-70* with showers possible.
I’ve had “Let Her Cry” stuck in my head for days now.

This won’t help matters. Go Cats!

NU in tie for 2nd place at -3 after first round-perfect scoring conditions-warm, soft greens from recent rains and no wind.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
NU in first place at -5 after second round despite losing 3 strokes over the last few holes. Inclement weather expected overnight and in AM tomorrow. They will be in the last groups off the First tee tomorrow.
Last year's winner LSU won with +6. Benign conditions will change tomorrow

NU in first place at -5 after second round despite losing 3 strokes over the last few holes. Inclement weather expected overnight and in AM tomorrow. They will be in the last groups off the First tee tomorrow.
Last year's winner LSU won with +6. Benign conditions will change tomorrow
It's extra impressive because their best player, Lauryn Nguyen, has been off the last 27 holes (+7) after opening -2 for her first 9. Jennifer Cai leading the team at -3, 3 back of the leader for the individual title.

Reactions: ricko654321
NU's and other team's late problems were due to back ups at the par 3 17th. There were 3 groups(9 players) on the tee waiting to hit. Eventually, they allowed teams to play once the group ahead reached the green.-this cleared the delays for the later groups on the back nine.

Generally, the players were great tee to green, but struggled reading the greens and making putts. A player in 3rd place, individually, 4 putted the 15th green, from less than 20 feet.

If it rains tonight and clears in the morning, scores may again be unusually low. If the wind blows tomorrow scores will suffer

I was certain you would be there doc. Hope all is well with you, Haven't seen you since last Vegas where I very much enjoyed your company! :)

Reactions: docrugby1
NU's and other team's late problems were due to back ups at the par 3 17th. There were 3 groups(9 players) on the tee waiting to hit. Eventually, they allowed teams to play once the group ahead reached the green.-this cleared the delays for the later groups on the back nine.

Generally, the players were great tee to green, but struggled reading the greens and making putts. A player in 3rd place, individually, 4 putted the 15th green, from less than 20 feet.

If it rains tonight and clears in the morning, scores may again be unusually low. If the wind blows tomorrow scores will suffer
Doc,

It has to have been fun for you watching really good players on a course that you play a lot (after 20 years of weekend tee times at Dubsdread, I still miss watching the best players in the world at the Western Open at Cog Hill). Do you find that "normal" players you bring out to Long Cove also struggle reading putts? Could you estimate what %age of the ladies use Aimpoint to assist in reading the greens? I know from working the Windy City and Windon events each year that our teams have extensive preparations on the tournament courses, with greens books generated as a group using Aimpoint. Obviously that level of prep isn't really possible for a road game like this...

Go Lady Cats, cheer us on to a win today!

Team collapse was tough to watch, but super clutch closing par save by Jennifer Cai to tie for the individual title. She's a really intense player. Not a long hitter but tremendous grit closing birdie, par, par.

Team collapse was tough to watch, but super clutch closing par save by Jennifer Cai to tie for the individual title. She's a really intense player. Not a long hitter but tremendous grit closing birdie, par, par.
Yeah same thought. Rest of the team sort of collapsed around her the last 7 holes but wow what a performance by J Cai. Some clutch putting down the stretch, showed no fear. Lots of positives to take away for the team - next time hopefully they close a bit stronger! Might have snuck it on my 3rd monitor at the office for the last 90 mins or so of the broadcast, whoops.

Reactions: Bweiny
She sits alone by a lamp post
Tryin' to find the thought that's escaped her mind
She says, "Dad's the one I love the most
But Stipe's not far behind"
She never lets me in, only tells me where she's been
When she's had too much to drink
I say that I don't care, I just run my hands through her dark hair
Then I pray to God you gotta help me fly away
And just let her cry if the tears fall down like rain
Let her sing if it eases all her pain
Let her go, let her walk right out on me
And if the sun comes up tomorrow, let her be, let her be
This morning I woke up alone, found a note standing by the phone
Sayin', "Maybe, maybe I'll be back someday"
I wanted to look for you
You walked in, I didn't know just what I should do
So I sat back down and had a beer and felt sorry for myself
Sayin' let her cry if the tears fall down like rain
And if the sun comes up tomorrow, let her be, let her be
No, no, no, no
Let her cry let her cry if the tears fall down like rain
And if the sun comes up tomorrow, let her be, ah
Last night I tried to leave, cried so much I could not believe
She was the same girl I fell in love with long ago
She went in the back to get high
I sat down on my couch and cried, yellin'
"Oh, mama, please help me"
Won't you hold my hand and
Let her cry if the tears fall down like rain
And if the sun comes up tomorrow, let her be
Let her cry, if the tears fall down like rain
Let her sing, if it eases all her pain
And if the sun comes up tomorrow, let her be
Ah, let her be

Doc,

It has to have been fun for you watching really good players on a course that you play a lot (after 20 years of weekend tee times at Dubsdread, I still miss watching the best players in the world at the Western Open at Cog Hill). Do you find that "normal" players you bring out to Long Cove also struggle reading putts? Could you estimate what %age of the ladies use Aimpoint to assist in reading the greens? I know from working the Windy City and Windon events each year that our teams have extensive preparations on the tournament courses, with greens books generated as a group using Aimpoint. Obviously that level of prep isn't really possible for a road game like this...
Sorry about the delay in responding but losing 11 strokes on the back nine was difficult to accept.
The women generally had trouble making long putts. Long Cove has very subtle breaks and misreads are easy to make. Visiting friends struggle on the greens routinely. The women, excluding NU's back nine, were great tee to green. They are also much longer off the tee then most men are willing to admit or accept.

I am not sure about what system the ladies use but unless their approaches were dead, they did not make many putts. The putting system I use, is not recommended. I lay down my cane and tin cup and use a putter, but my friends give me my third putt, if it is still on the green. When my rugby buddies and I travel to Ireland, the "Ireland Rule" is in effect- If your first putt is still in Ireland, the second putt is good. There is no crying in Baseball or Ireland

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT