ADVERTISEMENT

NU 'on the top' for 2020 Mich. athlete Cameron Martinez

Michigan is a beautiful state, especially along Lake Michigan, but not as beautiful as Wisconsin, except the UP, but more beautiful than Minnesota in general, which is mostly flat and avoided the glacier. The white sand beaches of Lake Michigan are to die for. It took ice 5 miles deep to create the most beautiful parts of those states. That was a lot of ice at one time, and in Minnesota believe it or not, ice continues to rapidly disappear.

Last edited:
I’ve ridden that stretch of M-28 twice while using the Pictured Rocks shuttle out of Munising. You can pack about 50 miles of shoreline heading west from Grand Marais. Some of the pics I posted are from this trail. It’s spectacular. I did it once in the first week of October and pummeled with gale winds and graupel all day. Spent 15 hours hunkered in a tent and got delirium.

From Seney, there’s a trail that runs north through varied terrain that meets the shoreline trail at its midpoint. Have wanted to do it but not gotten to it yet. It goes through an area of “ghost forest” of dead trees in a small savanna. Then some lakes.

I'm familiar with those roads and wanted to explore the area to the east of Grand Marais (Tahquamenon Falls), but instead pushed on across the UP. I took a boat ride to see Pictured Rocks the next day. The following day featured a weird encounter with the FBI's top (only?) narcotics officer in a bar outside of Marquette after a bitter cold, rainy ride, followed by crashing at a frat house unannounced at 2 AM. Back then, one could crash anywhere on a college campus and nobody minded.

I have to say I admire your on-board persona. EvanstonCat sees the whole world through a single, hardened, fanatical big ten rivalry filter. It’s good stuff on these boards and I enjoy reading it in the realm of my own ardent Cats fandom. I read it like good creative fiction.

I am not sure those great Michigan pictures can convince the digital EvanstonCat, but when out of character, I have a feeling they might.

OK but I thought most cats like mittens but I guess ECat is not drawn to the Mitten State.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I'm familiar with those roads and wanted to explore the area to the east of Grand Marais (Tahquamenon Falls), but instead pushed on across the UP. I took a boat ride to see Pictured Rocks the next day. The following day featured a weird encounter with the FBI's top (only?) narcotics officer in a bar outside of Marquette after a bitter cold, rainy ride, followed by crashing at a frat house unannounced at 2 AM. Back then, one could crash anywhere on a college campus and nobody minded.
My first trip to Pix Rox was about 20 years ago. I went with this big country boy from WV. I didn’t know him very well then. We were standing atop those cliffs when the tour boat came by. I am looking out at the lake, and then glance to my left. Big Mike was there, bent over, pants around ankles, giving the tourists a West Virginia harvest moon. Good times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT