ADVERTISEMENT

NU Season Preview- The Athletic

Will there be a college football season? My guess is no, but who knows?

Either way, a really good summary from The Athletic today of all position groups and the offseason changes that were made. Some new quotes from Fitz as well.

Subscription required, but good read if you have access.

https://theathletic.com/1939180/202...er-depth-chart-schedule-state-of-the-program/

Pretty good but some blatant mistakes regarding the Oline portion. I think he copied from Inside NU’s writeup which had the same mistakes. LOL.

Pretty good but some blatant mistakes regarding the Oline portion. I think he copied from Inside NU’s writeup which had the same mistakes. LOL.

What "blatant mistakes" are you seeing? Seems like an error not to at least mention Stovall by name given Anderson's comments about him, but the general takeaway of "who the hell knows at center?" seems accurate.

What "blatant mistakes" are you seeing? Seems like an error not to at least mention Stovall by name given Anderson's comments about him, but the general takeaway of "who the hell knows at center?" seems accurate.

- glaring Stovall omission, since he is the likely starter.
- Gerak and Urban’s positions flip flopped
- No mention of Wiederkehr as top backup while mentioning Schmidt and Rowley, who never sniffed the field outside of special teams.

These are basically the same things Inside NU had in their OL write up. No big deal but kind of telling.

Reactions: DaCat
- glaring Stovall omission, since he is the likely starter.
- Gerak and Urban’s positions flip flopped
- No mention of Wiederkehr as top backup while mentioning Schmidt and Rowley, who never sniffed the field outside of special teams.

These are basically the same things Inside NU had in their OL write up. No big deal but kind of telling.

Fortuna is one of the better college football guys on the NU beat. I tend to believe him much more readily than the InsideNU guys. If Fortuna is saying it, he probably heard it from somewhere (whether it be Fitz himself or others around/in the program). Maybe there's more to it than a simple error or copy/paste job.

Fortuna is one of the better college football guys on the NU beat. I tend to believe him much more readily than the InsideNU guys. If Fortuna is saying it, he probably heard it from somewhere (whether it be Fitz himself or others around/in the program). Maybe there's more to it than a simple error or copy/paste job.

Reach.

I'm just saying that I trust Fortuna much more than the clown crew at InsideNU. He could well still be wrong, just less likely than InsideNU.

Agree on the clown crew. Looks like Fortuna might have been a bit lazy. The mentions of Schmidt and Rowley are telling. The Athletic needs a full-time NU writer. I won’t subscribe until they hire one.

Fortuna does a great job, he is almost always a good read.

InsideNU is by far the best source of Northwestern sports info on the planet. Not sure why you would rag on them.

InsideNU is by far the best source of Northwestern sports info on the planet. Not sure why you would rag on them.

I guess you must be into factual errors and bad analysis? They do put out a lot of content. I’ll give you that.

Calling it analysis is charitable. I appreciate the effort and support for the program, but actual football insight - nada.
What they do extremely well is report on NU sports other than football and basketball, including all women's teams. Also, their reporting on NU's football players by uniform number and what they expect of each player in the 2020 season is quite good.

What they do extremely well is report on NU sports other than football and basketball, including all women's teams. Also, their reporting on NU's football players by uniform number and what they expect of each player in the 2020 season is quite good.

Have you read those “reports” by numbers? There are some glaring mistakes, as I cited in this thread. I don’t want to pick on these guys but it seems like their reporting is littered with errors and there is no apparent attempt to correct them. I know they are students but if they want to be taken seriously and build credibility they need to put more time into their work.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Have you read those “reports” by numbers? There are some glaring mistakes, as I cited in this thread. I don’t want to pick on these guys but it seems like their reporting is littered with errors and there is no apparent attempt to correct them. I know they are students but if they want to be taken seriously and build credibility they need to put more time into their work.
I have read all of their reports by the numbers and find them to be interesting and helpful irrespective of any errors which might exist. Also, I'll stick to my guns with respect to their coverage of NU's teams other than football and basketball, which is very good.

I have read all of their reports by the numbers and find them to be interesting and helpful irrespective of any errors which might exist. Also, I'll stick to my guns with respect to their coverage of NU's teams other than football and basketball, which is very good.

I’ll take your word for it when it comes to the non football stuff because I haven’t really read it. I wish they put in a little more time and were more careful when it comes to their football content. Their glaring mistakes and lack of any attempt to correct it cause informed NU football fans like myself to question their credibility.

I’ll take your word for it when it comes to the non football stuff because I haven’t really read it. I wish they put in a little more time and were more careful when it comes to their football content. Their glaring mistakes and lack of any attempt to correct it cause informed NU football fans like myself to question their credibility.
Then, by all means, don't read it. I read it every day and enjoy it. However, I follow all NU teams, both men and women quire religiously. In fact, when I come out to Evanston for a football weekend, I try to take in other games, such as women's lacrosse and softball.

Reactions: corbi296
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT