ADVERTISEMENT

NU unveils new lakefront stadium

Buried the lede:

“With increased luxury seating, nearly 400 more seats in suites or premium-style locations, Marks thinks that Northwestern could generate more revenue from its temporary stadium in 2024 than it did during the 2023 season.”

Buried the lede:

“With increased luxury seating, nearly 400 more seats in suites or premium-style locations, Marks thinks that Northwestern could generate more revenue from its temporary stadium in 2024 than it did during the 2023 season.”
Read the whole paragraph. It changes the context of that statement:

"With increased luxury seating, nearly 400 more seats in suites or premium-style locations, Marks thinks that Northwestern could generate more revenue from its temporary stadium in 2024 than it did during the 2023 season, when, after a hazing scandal and the firing of head coach Pat Fitzgerald, the Wildcats averaged a paltry 23,257 fans per game, according to HailToPurple.com. Marks made it clear, however, that, a sold-out Ryan Field, with its 47,000-plus capacity, would out earn the temporary site by far."

"With increased luxury seating, nearly 400 more seats in suites or premium-style locations, Marks thinks that Northwestern could generate more revenue from its temporary stadium in 2024 than it did during the 2023 season, when, after a hazing scandal and the firing of head coach Pat Fitzgerald, the Wildcats averaged a paltry 23,257 fans per game, according to HailToPurple.com. Marks made it clear, however, that, a sold-out Ryan Field, with its 47,000-plus capacity, would out earn the temporary site by far."
You nailed it Lou, it’s all about context.

Guessing that 23K average for last year included Wrigley game. Don't recall ever seeing that many at RF last year.

I think the only game that exceeded 23k was PSU. The other games...woof. maybe 10k for MD.
I posted this last year, but the number of fans at the Maryland game -- not tickets sold, but butts in seats -- was 6,500. :oops:

• Wow
Reactions: DaCat

I will hold to my belief the real story is in a graph at the end of the piece. The news is that NU has developed a pricing scheme that generates revenue from a 12k stadium that exceeds last year’s when the “hazing” news ruptured well after season tickets had been sold. Actual attendance doesn’t matter when tickets have already been sold. How big has NU’s walk-up ever been (after 1995)?

And a sold out Ryan Field of 47,000 capacity is no longer a possibility. I bet revenues from a sold out new Ryan Field under the new pricing model would dramatically exceed those from a sellout of old RF under prior pricing. If they can sell the tickets…

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
I posted this last year, but the number of fans at the Maryland game -- not tickets sold, but butts in seats -- was 6,500. :oops:
Yeah, that was one of the low points of the season. I went expecting a blowout loss, but Sullivan's first half performance rescued the season. That is why I harbor no ill will for his moving on.

Reactions: zeek55 and mickbula
Yeah, that was one of the low points of the season. I went expecting a blowout loss, but Sullivan's first half performance rescued the season. That is why I harbor no ill will for his moving on.
Totally agree. I remember when they went down the field and scored on that opening drive saying to my section it was probably going to be a long day but a path to a bowl was still there but then we battled. Sully played great against a solid Maryland team. We’ll always have that but he’s definitely overestimated his worth. And regarding the crowd… who cares if it was 10k. It was all NU fans and we had a blast.

Bringing this back around - a photo tour from the voice of the Cats, to be followed by video in the next few days...
DaveE'sTour

But he would not disclose what percentage of the funds came from existing university or athletic department coffers, and how much had to be additionally fundraised.

"It's been a complete effort and it's come from everywhere," Marks said. "It's come from on campus, from athletic revenues, and we have very generous supporters, led by a gift from [head coach David] Braun and his wife, Kristin. As you can imagine, it's been a costly project but one that our community rallied behind."

At a time when Northwestern has many other serious capital commitments underway for its athletic department -- like a new $800 million football stadium and a new softball stadium -- Goss echoed that it took a collaborative effort to make this complex a possibility on such short notice.

Marks declined to share the project's budget and does not think that the university will at a future date.

Why? Why not tell us what it cost?

But he would not disclose what percentage of the funds came from existing university or athletic department coffers, and how much had to be additionally fundraised.

"It's been a complete effort and it's come from everywhere," Marks said. "It's come from on campus, from athletic revenues, and we have very generous supporters, led by a gift from [head coach David] Braun and his wife, Kristin. As you can imagine, it's been a costly project but one that our community rallied behind."

At a time when Northwestern has many other serious capital commitments underway for its athletic department -- like a new $800 million football stadium and a new softball stadium -- Goss echoed that it took a collaborative effort to make this complex a possibility on such short notice.

Marks declined to share the project's budget and does not think that the university will at a future date.

Why? Why not tell us what it cost?
Universities hate sharing that kind of data if they don't have to and especially a private university like NU which generally never has to...

It's not worth much but I've seen numbers around $10 million (give or take) for the project to put it up and take it down 2 years later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT