ADVERTISEMENT

NU unveils new walkons

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
The class includes two WRs, a LS and a K/P. The video includes highlights.

6'8 300+ lineman walk on?

Well just because someone is huge, it doesn't mean they can play. Looking at his tape, he's a giant kid playing tackle. Not much bend, not much technique. He relies on strength and the fact he is so big he has a gravitational pull to help him. Nothing wrong with that.

I had to search pretty hard for anything resembling an offer list, which is weird, but the interested teams were mostly Patriot League teams, VMI, Marshall and Navy. No clue if he actually was offered by any of these teams, but that's all I found, which should tell you something.

I'm sure he'll do his part in maintaining the team GPA and providing a good look to the varsity. Anything more than that is a bonus as with all walkons.

Well just because someone is huge, it doesn't mean they can play. Looking at his tape, he's a giant kid playing tackle. Not much bend, not much technique. He relies on strength and the fact he is so big he has a gravitational pull to help him. Nothing wrong with that.

I had to search pretty hard for anything resembling an offer list, which is weird, but the interested teams were mostly Patriot League teams, VMI, Marshall and Navy. No clue if he actually was offered by any of these teams, but that's all I found, which should tell you something.

I'm sure he'll do his part in maintaining the team GPA and providing a good look to the varsity. Anything more than that is a bonus as with all walkons.
I had a buddy in high school that was a walk on to DePaul basketball to maintain their GPA. But Umm yeah... Our team has no need to get walk ons to maintain a GPA.

That said you could be right on the football end... But I'll take a walk on OT who's 6'8 305 that has to get better rather than an OL that is 6-2 225 and could maybe become an long snapper if the coaches can sell him on that.

I had a buddy in high school that was a walk on to DePaul basketball to maintain their GPA. .

I was "recruited" by the football house Delta Upsilon at NU for 3 years, purely for GPA purposes. Great parties, but man what a bunch of numb nuts.......I'll never forget the night in '74 when, after losing to Nebraska like 49-7, one of the players was dancing on the piano at a party and fell into the trophy case in the lounge and got cut to shreds by broken glass. Still wish I had pledged......

But Umm yeah... Our team has no need to get walk ons to maintain a GPA.

Seriously man, when you're attempting to maintain a team GPA above 3.0 you need all the help you can get, so don't be quite so dismissive of a single comment in a post.

Not every guy on the team is as smart as the average NU student. Our academic success somewhat hides that some of our guys seriously work their tails off to get anywhere near a 3.0. It never hurts to have guys on the team whose prowess is more academic than athletic.

I'm not entirely certain where I said I wasn't glad to have him on board either, but whatever.

I was "recruited" by the football house Delta Upsilon at NU for 3 years, purely for GPA purposes. Great parties, but man what a bunch of numb nuts.......I'll never forget the night in '74 when, after losing to Nebraska like 49-7, one of the players was dancing on the piano at a party and fell into the trophy case in the lounge and got cut to shreds by broken glass. Still wish I had pledged......

Yes, piano dancing was standard at DU parties...on the black piano that was painted with brown house paint. Did you get to see obnoxious girls being dragged through the huge mud puddle at the front stairs? I used to enjoy listening to snobby girls talk about their experiences at DU parties: one girl got punched, another was peed on by Cain, the house German shepherd.

Would you have graduated if you had pledged?

Interestingly, Tyler Gillikin is the twin brother of punter Blake Gillikin, who NU offered but committed to PSU. Glades will be pleased to note his anticipated major is Biology.....

Don't we have any other biology majors on the team?

Yes, piano dancing was standard at DU parties...on the black piano that was painted with brown house paint. Did you get to see obnoxious girls being dragged through the huge mud puddle at the front stairs? I used to enjoy listening to snobby girls talk about their experiences at DU parties: one girl got punched, another was peed on by Cain, the house German shepherd.

Would you have graduated if you had pledged?

What a difference a decade makes. We had three of the four NU students at Harvard Law by the late Eighties.

After the DU frat boys threw mud on some of our coeds from Bobb Hall, we stole their front door when the whole frat was passed out one night and I still have the DU doorknob.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
The DU guys were all good guys. They just were stressed out from being surrounded by a sea of nerds and had to let off a little steam every now and then.

Being a walk on is tough and to the kids who do it well, they are to be commended! We had kids in hockey that were walk ons and got the snot kicked out of them. I always felt bad for them. In my sport they were usually just too slow for D 1 hockey, but they really tried hard.

Reactions: 60657Cat
Being a walk on is tough and to the kids who do it well, they are to be commended! We had kids in hockey that were walk ons and got the snot kicked out of them. I always felt bad for them. In my sport they were usually just too slow for D 1 hockey, but they really tried hard.
Absolutely. As I have mentioned on here before, my brother walked on as a WR at Ohio State a number of years ago. It was tough and you don't get a ton of respect. He worked his way up though and just as it looked like he might be starting to break through and earn a little playing time, his position coach left. When the new one came in, he was dumped right back to the bottom of the pile again. He quit the team before his senior year to focus on his academics.

Some have no business whatsoever being on a D1 practice field. They can be a waste of everyone's time.

Don't we have any other biology majors on the team?

Don't know about biology, but Tommy Doles was the emcee for last weekend's Robot Obstacle Course competition, so I'm guessing he's in the school of engineering. BTW, my son thought Doles did a great of job of making it fun.

We've had several walk-ons do well; even if only 1-2 of them make significant contributions, it would be helpful. Walk-ons, though, don't get the respect they should always, even when they are better. They have to be a lot better to get noticed.

Absolutely. As I have mentioned on here before, my brother walked on as a WR at Ohio State a number of years ago. It was tough and you don't get a ton of respect. He worked his way up though and just as it looked like he might be starting to break through and earn a little playing time, his position coach left. When the new one came in, he was dumped right back to the bottom of the pile again. He quit the team before his senior year to focus on his academics.
I've said this before on here, but I have a cousin that walked on to Notre Dame. He's a 6'8ish DE and they put him on the field goal block team. It's Not the field goal defend team only the all out block team. His college football career is 1 play... Stanford's game winning field goal. He always said that everyone treated him very well. He graduated in 4 years and is going to med school somewhere else. Crazy he managed football, premed, and everything else.

I've said this before on here, but I have a cousin that walked on to Notre Dame. He's a 6'8ish DE and they put him on the field goal block team. It's Not the field goal defend team only the all out block team. His college football career is 1 play... Stanford's game winning field goal. He always said that everyone treated him very well. He graduated in 4 years and is going to med school somewhere else. Crazy he managed football, premed, and everything else.
My brother actually did get on the field a bit. He was the holder for two years. He even had a fake FG play where he took the snap and then lattereled it to Eddie George who ran it in for a TD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT