ADVERTISEMENT

NU WLAX beats Navy

LookGoodInPurple

Aug 26, 2004
15-12 was the final. Rough rough rough game. Navy had 41 fouls to NU;s 19! Erin Fitzgerald plays with the toughness of a coach I know with the same last name. NU played an aggressive defense... gave up some easy goals as a result. Gary Gait and his Orangewomen were there scouting out the Cats.

It almost looked like men's lacrosse, but without pads and helmets. Navy was probably trying to take advantage of our youth and (relative) inexperience, but Erin sure bounced right back after every tackle and came through with some clutch goals. Even the announcers were surprised how the refs were "letting them play."

Kelly studied at the school of Timchal and knows how to play tough. What I loved is that after every foul, you didn't see NU players rolling on the ground like a bunch of European soccer players. They popped up and were ready to play.

rolleye0011.r191677.gif

Quite the discussion thread on Laxpower regarding the rough play and officiating

Originally posted by LookGoodInPurple:

Kelly studied at the school of Timchal and knows how to play tough. What I loved is that after every foul, you didn't see NU players rolling on the ground like a bunch of European soccer players. They popped up and were ready to play.

Touche. But I still maintain, there is no tougher group of gals in Division 1 Lacrosse than NU. Maryland and Florida might be better, but not tougher. Harvard had 42 fouls to NUs 16 ( I think). Teams think they have to beat up NU to match them. Navy certainly did.

Problem with WLAX is there really much negative repercussions for a midfield crosscheck. They need to add a cumulative foul equals a yellow card rule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT