ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive gameplan

clarificationcat

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
I will be very interested to see how McCall and Fitz game plan for the Michigan game.

On the one hand, they have a great defense and I don't think we are going to be able to run the ball effectively without keeping them honest and mixing in passes. And I think we put a lot more pressure on Thorson when he is forced to pass on 3rd and long.

On the other hand, Michigan's offense has not been particularly explosive and it will likely come down who wins the turnover battle, so having a really conservative game plan makes some sense to me. I don't think we can win a 10-7 game against Ohio State but we might be able to do it against Michigan. Perhaps we mix in a couple of shots down field in situations where we are sure there is man coverage and otherwise stick to the ground game.

I, like most, prefer when we speed up the offense and mix in a lot of short passes (like the 3rd quarter against Ball State), but ultimately I will take an ugly W over an aesthetically pleasing loss.

I will be very interested to see how McCall and Fitz game plan for the Michigan game.

On the one hand, they have a great defense and I don't think we are going to be able to run the ball effectively without keeping them honest and mixing in passes. And I think we put a lot more pressure on Thorson when he is forced to pass on 3rd and long.

On the other hand, Michigan's offense has not been particularly explosive and it will likely come down who wins the turnover battle, so having a really conservative game plan makes some sense to me. I don't think we can win a 10-7 game against Ohio State but we might be able to do it against Michigan. Perhaps we mix in a couple of shots down field in situations where we are sure there is man coverage and otherwise stick to the ground game.

I, like most, prefer when we speed up the offense and mix in a lot of short passes (like the 3rd quarter against Ball State), but ultimately I will take an ugly W over an aesthetically pleasing loss.

what happened to jelani roberts? if healthy, might we see the return of some running plays with him? or maybe even a reverse of some sort building off it it to keep them honest?

what happened to jelani roberts? if healthy, might we see the return of some running plays with him? or maybe even a reverse of some sort building off it it to keep them honest?

He has taken Nagel's place on the depth chart this week.

This week I hope we field all returnable punts giving our guys an extra chance at a break away play. I don't think we need to give their D any field position help. We should take our chances on our punt returners not dropping the punt. It worked out last week, let's return a punt this week for a clean score.

and, Go Cats !!

Michigan plays press man 1 on 1 coverage almost all game. Threw 5 games nobody as gotten away from it. If you throw short a lot some will be picked because the db is up on the wr.

I don't anticipate much change from what you have seen. We will get off the bus running the ball. Thorson is getting more comfortable so I anticipate he will throw the ball a few more times but nothing meaningfully different. If things go as expected, I anticipate 25 or so passing attempts and about 40 rushing attempts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT