ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive targeting?

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
I'm watching the Sanford UCLA game and a guy just got ejected for targeting but to me the ball carrier lowered his head and put it on the helmet of the a guy who was trying to tackle low.

Did anyone else see that?

I'm watching the Sanford UCLA game and a guy just got ejected for targeting but to me the ball carrier lowered his head and put it on the helmet of the a guy who was trying to tackle low.

Yes, I thought it was a putrid call. I know I sound like a Neanderthal, but way too many targeting ejections. The rule flat out is not applied consistently.

Yes, I thought it was a putrid call. I know I sound like a Neanderthal, but way too many targeting ejections. The rule flat out is not applied consistently.
I have say that there needs to be a rule about head shots and purposeful violence that goes beyond what is required in the game. Concussion issues have to addressed to maintain the integrity of the game but in that play it almost looked like the ball carrier purposely put his head down where the tacklers head was. The tackler was going in low and could have had no idea that the ball carrier would try to smash through tim in that way. The ball carrier did get his bell rung but he was in a better position to avoid contact than the tackler.

Football is dieing a slow death.
Likely won't happen quickly but it will because parents will no longer allow their kids to play and more importantly, insurance companies will either raise rates so high that schools can't afford it. Maybe a lot of these athletes will switch to baseball and it will grow with leaps and bounds or soccer will finally get the elite athletes needed.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Likely won't happen quickly but it will because parents will no longer allow their kids to play and more importantly, insurance companies will either raise rates so high that schools can't afford it. Maybe a lot of these athletes will switch to baseball and it will grow with leaps and bounds or soccer will finally get the elite athletes needed.
People will watch FB even with out elite players. Look how popular college ball is relative to the pros. There is a huge drop off in talent yet college ball is extremely popular even when OSU is playing Kent State. I remember when the NFL went on strike and they brought in replacement players. People still watched their teams.
The insurance issue you mention will take some of the money out of it so our great leaders of industry may abandon it.

People will watch FB even with out elite players. Look how popular college ball is relative to the pros. There is a huge drop off in talent yet college ball is extremely popular even when OSU is playing Kent State. I remember when the NFL went on strike and they brought in replacement players. People still watched their teams.
The insurance issue you mention will take some of the money out of it so our great leaders of industry may abandon it.
I respectfully disagree. Yes, people follow Power 5 football. But no one follows MAC or Mountain West or any of the other minor leagues. And my recollection is that after the novelty wore off, no one watched replacement players in the NFL. And the reason the World Football League and the USFL died is the ball sucked.

I respectfully disagree. Yes, people follow Power 5 football. But no one follows MAC or Mountain West or any of the other minor leagues. And my recollection is that after the novelty wore off, no one watched replacement players in the NFL. And the reason the World Football League and the USFL died is the ball sucked.
THIS IS THE XFL.

Targeting is always offensive. It's just that it isn't always targeting (e.g. J. McGee).

Actually, plenty of people follow the "minor leagues." We regularly attract several thousand people at Division II Shippensburg, and while 6,000 or 7,000 fans is nothing to the B1G, it's plenty when you don't have B1G-style expenses.

I feel like this only because there is only so much time for people to watch and the investment made to promote NFL and power 5 buzz and culture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT