ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State slimeball runs fake punt, leading 49-10

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
Rutgers objects to another unsportsmanlike fake punt from The Ohio State dirtbags...
Rutgers player takes it upon himself to educate both the punter and his coach, Ryan Day.
Schiano crosses the field to confront his "good friend."

Rutgers objects to another unsportsmanlike fake punt from The Ohio State dirtbags...
Rutgers player takes it upon himself to educate both the punter and his coach, Ryan Day.
Schiano crosses the field to confront his "good friend."

I prefer the way Ryan Day coaches to the way Pat Fitzgerald coaches.

I especially would like to be up 39 points against anyone and be in a position to run fake punts. Whether we run a fake punt or not would be forgivable in my estimation, if we’re up 39 points, I’ll take that and look the other way.

Last edited:
Day didn’t call a fake, Schiano ran an unbalanced overload block play (maybe don’t run such a play if you’re going to complain about OSU hitting you back, Schiano) and the punter saw the resulting opening and took it. This is somewhere between “the punter shouldn’t have done it” and “Schiano shouldn’t whine his own aggressive play call blew up in his face.”

Day didn’t call a fake, Schiano ran an unbalanced overload block play (maybe don’t run such a play if you’re going to complain about OSU hitting you back, Schiano) and the punter saw the resulting opening and took it. This is somewhere between “the punter shouldn’t have done it” and “Schiano shouldn’t whine his own aggressive play call blew up in his face.”
Good for the punter. Why should he let a kick get potentially blocked? He saw something and he reacted. If you want to call blocks and keep playing hard than you should expect the same from your opponent.

More importantly: who would win in a fight, Day or Schiano?

My money’s on Schiano, even given say 2-1 odds.

Bad sportsmanship is bad sportsmanship.
No excuses.
A lot of rednecks feel differently.
"Its your job to stop me."

Of course SPORTSMANSHIP is backing off when the game is won.
Fitz gets this.
Ryan Day and Urban Meyer do not.
Its a measure of the quality of the man.

The spread was 39.
I think that played into it as well.

I don't agree with this assessment, as it was not a planned fake punt. Rutgers overloaded one side of the line and then the rugby-style punter saw the opening on his right side and ran for the 1st down, as he only needed to get 2 yards. Then the Rutgers player hits the punter out of bounds on the opposing team's sideline (which is not smart) on two accounts. Day and Schiano got at each other in the heat of the moment, but they later kissed and made up. None of it ended up changing the final score, and OSU actually ended up punting again on that same drive (Rutgers did not go for the block on the second punt attempt).

No excuses.

Fitz gets this.

The spread was 39.
Except Ryan Day didn’t call it. What, do you want the players to stop playing? Why should the punter have a blocked punt go on his film when he could’ve clearly avoided it?

well coached punter to recognize the situation, there is no greater abuse of an athlete then to send them in a contest unprepared to win.
Luck is the residue of preparation .

No excuses.

Fitz gets this.

The spread was 39.

How do we know? I don’t think Fitz has ever been up 39 points on anyone before. To be up 39, you have to score more than 39. I guess it may have happened, but the sample size is tiny to be sure.

How do we know? I don’t think Fitz has ever been up 39 points on anyone before. To be up 39, you have to score more than 39. I guess it may have happened, but the sample size is tiny to be sure.

The 2017 Minnesota game comes to mind. 39 - 0.

Even Schiano said later it was an automatic based on what the punter saw.

I am proud of the player who lit up the punter with a late hit, purely to teach him a lesson in sportsmanship. Thats how I played when I was a young man. Respect my team or suffer the consequences.

You guys can believe what you want.

Fitz never tries to run up the score. He takes a knee inside the opponents 10 yard line, when we're up 10 and don't need to score. It is the right way to play. You respect your opponent.

The wrong way to play is faking a punt when you are ahead by 39. I'm glad Day didn't call the fake punt, but I would hope he talked to his punter and apologized to Schiano.

I can't help those who don't understand this.

I am proud of the player who lit up the punter with a late hit, purely to teach him a lesson in sportsmanship. Thats how I played when I was a young man. Respect my team or suffer the consequences.

Fitz never tries to run up the score. He takes a knee inside the opponents 10 yard line, when we're up 10 and don't need to score. It is the right way to play. You respect your opponent.

The wrong way to play is faking a punt when you are ahead by 39. I'm glad Day didn't call the fake punt, but I would hope he talked to his punter and apologized to Schiano.

Perhaps the right thing to do was to take the first down, then punt on first down. That would blow everyone's mind

Dude, you have some issues.

Yes, expecting others to behave respectably is an issue.
Asking players to quit and not give 100% when out there is how players get hurt. The punter shouldn’t have to sit back and risk getting obliterated when he knows there is a way out.

but yeah, blame the punter and applaud the player that actually threw a cheap shot instead of blaming the coach that dialed up a poorly designed block that a punter was easily able to expose.

Reactions: drewjin
Interesting to note that Ohio State was favored 39.5, and won by 39 (I bet on Rutgers to cover!)

This play also reminded me of how Schiano found his way out of the NFL. I remember he was demanding his defensive players aggressively go after the ball when the other team was in victory formation...so...he also comes from the "play hard no matter what" school of thought.

I might like to see Fitz tilt a little more in this direction, but in saying that what I really mean is please don't take a knee with 90 seconds left in the first half, or play not to lose when you're up by 3 early in the 3rd.

Asking players to quit and not give 100% when out there is how players get hurt. The punter shouldn’t have to sit back and risk getting obliterated when he knows there is a way out.

but yeah, blame the punter and applaud the player that actually threw a cheap shot instead of blaming the coach that dialed up a poorly designed block that a punter was easily able to expose.

Not sure what game you were watching.
The punter should have punted.
No one was near him.

Most respectable coaches pull their starters when a game is out of hand. Nobody asks the players to "quit." But respectable coaches stop throwing deep, run simple plays, bring in substitutes, etc... and this benefits those substitutes and rewards their hard work.

Running up the score is bush league. This fact is lost on a lot of people who don't understand sportsmanship.

I like Schiano - old school coach who knows how to play the game and tries to develop responsible men. It was no accident that he came all the way across the field, knowing he'd be flagged, to yell directly in Ryan Day's face.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

It is the right way to play because the only way the opponent can do anything is to get the ball back. And while we cannot successfully onside kick, other teams sometimes can

The punter probably made the decision to run before the ball was snapped. Not to run up the score but because Rutgers lined 8 on the line to block but didn’t have containment on the side Mirco ran towards. He’s coached to be aware of the opportunity. Maybe Rutgers should have called for a return instead of a block.
Blaming the punter in this situation is like blaming a running back who’s team is up by 40, bounces the ball to the outside on my a dive play in which the defense has stacked the middle. You could make the argument he could have run straight into the line and taken the 2 yard loss, but instinct and training led to him running to daylight, and a 50 yard TD run.

Dude, you have some issues.
Maybe you should use that Northwestern education to look up the meaning of sportsmanship. Maybe understand situational football as well.

Day didn’t apologize to Schiano because there was no reason to do so. He may have explained and both coaches seemed good with it. Day did say he would talk to the punter, but that doesn’t mean he would tell the punter he’s wrong.

At the time of the play OSU had on its 2nd and 3rd stringers. Rutgers was still playing it’s starters. Which I think is fine. It was the same vs Wisconsin the previous week.

The above being the case I think it’s fine to run the normal offense in a blowout so long as the reserves are in the game. Maybe not uptempo or throwing bombs, but they practice the offense too and deserve to be able to play their game on the field. If the 3rd stringers score, put in the 4th stringers and again run the offense. If they score play the non-scolarshop athletes and take volunteers from the stands, whatever.

Last edited:
I hate OSU as much as the next guy, but this is much ado about nothing. I would have done the same thing if I had been the punter and seen all of that open green.

I hate OSU as much as the next guy, but this is much ado about nothing. I would have done the same thing if I had been the punter and seen all of that open green.
And if I were the return man, I would have hit that punter as hard as I could, late or not.

It is even more impressive that return man Aron Cruikshank, a starting wide receiver and senior leader for Rutgers, stands a mere 5'10" 170 lbs. but ran as fast as he could to hit that punk punter as hard as he could., right into the Ohio State bench.

Huge for his relationship with his teammates.

Schiano probably gave him a game ball for that.

And if I were the return man, I would have hit that punter as hard as I could, late or not.

It is even more impressive that return man Aron Cruikshank, a starting wide receiver and senior leader for Rutgers, stands a mere 5'10" 170 lbs. but ran as fast as he could to hit that punk punter as hard as he could., right into the Ohio State bench.

And this is where you lose anyone that might even slightly agree with you on the play. Running a fake punt up by 39 may hurt someone's feelings, but taking a cheap shot on an unexpected player out of bounds can cause serious injury. It is never justified, no matter how frustrated you are about the outcome of a game.

Reactions: drewjin

The play was entirely superfluous, as the game was well over. Running unnecessary fake punts is a good way for starting punters to get hurt. The first down meant absolutely nothing. May have been a good read and athletic reaction, but the reward was nowhere close to the risk.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
And this is where you lose anyone that might even slightly agree with you on the play. Running a fake punt up by 39 may hurt someone's feelings, but taking a cheap shot on an unexpected player out of bounds can cause serious injury. It is never justified, no matter how frustrated you are about the outcome of a game.

Thats the point. You have to punch the bully.

Too many people protecting the bully's feelings. It was a clean hit - Cruikshank is a little guy and didn't go for the ball carrier's knees or his head - just him him late. And as payback goes, it was nicely done.

I'm gonna guess Mr McPunter learned his lesson. But maybe not - maybe Ryan Day called for the fake punt and then lied about it afterwards. He learned from Urban - anything is possible.

I'm far more upset about the trick play Nebraska ran against Northwestern in the 2000 Alamo Bowl when they were up like six touchdowns. This was just a heads-up play by a guy who probably hasn't gotten a chance to run with the ball since high school. And he got his team a first down! The hard hit may have been warranted, but not as an out-of-bounds cheap shot when the play was over.

Reactions: drewjin and JT2311

Because such a hit would be the model of sportsmanship right there.

Got it.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

Got it.
You have to be able to enforce the rules of competition on the field.

Sometimes the players have to take matters into their own hands.

If somebody shows you up deliberately, you blast him. Otherwise he will never learn.

You are encouraging the bully and criticizing the guy who retaliated.

You will note that I have not said anybody should have tried to injure the guy. Just deliver the message.

You seem to be the only one with this view. Do you understand (of course not) that Day had nothing to do with the punter taking off. So in your eyes, "I'm right and it's the rest of the world that's effed up." OK

Can @HawkCat confirm that he’s okay with that too?

Got it.
The last time I checked, football was a violent game played by big strong people.

Neither player was in the wrong on that play. The OSU punter made a football play, then got the first down, and got lit up for it. The coaches either were wrong or weren’t, depending on their intent and rationale.

If OSU does the same thing to us, would our returnman respond in kind as he should? And would Fitz stick up for his team, or bend over and apologize to Day?

Can @HawkCat confirm that he’s okay with that too?
I can confirm that I might have done the same thing if I had been the Rutgers guy, especially if I thought it had been a called fake. This is kind of like brush back pitches in baseball. Kind of part of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT