ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Mi$$ Player Dropping Bombs

thewildcat2011

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
Tunsil asked if he ever took money from a coach:

His accounts have definitely been hacked and there are now texts being published on his Instagram asking his coach for money.

I've been saying this for a while now. Anytime some school starts getting 4 and 5 star athletes out of thin air, they are simply paying them. Often, on this site, people ponder why someone didn't wind up at NU and I say it every time "because they got paid!"

Reactions: phatcat
I'm proud to say this dimbulb 5-star, Laremy Tunsil, is from my "backyard". It's absolutely shocking how stupid people are around where I live. Bong hits wearing a gas mask just before the NFL draft? LMAO! Have I told you about my neighbor? Or the neighbor on the other side of me? Merika!

Reactions: Fitz51
Did this really surprise anyone after Laquon Treadwell posted the Jed Clampett stack of Benjamins on his Twitter account immediately after signing? The thing I find most amusing is how guys like Tom Luginbil (sp?) came to Treadwell's defense. Spare me

If I was broke AF and a coach tossed a duffle bag full of cash at me as a 17 year old, I'd go there too. So would most of you. Please step down from the high horses.

Reactions: nycat33
I've been saying this for a while now. Anytime some school starts getting 4 and 5 star athletes out of thin air, they are simply paying them. Often, on this site, people ponder why someone didn't wind up at NU and I say it every time "because they got paid!"
yeah, especially if they are competing in the SEC. Suddenly, ole-frikkin Miss is getting people instead of GA, FLA, ALA, LSU AU aTm? spare me.

If I was broke AF and a coach tossed a duffle bag full of cash at me as a 17 year old, I'd go there too. So would most of you. Please step down from the high horses.

I don't think anyone is really blaming the kids thus far. More about Freeze and other unscrupulous coaches taking advantage of those kids. Just surprising to see a guy so openly admit taking that kind of cash at the NFL draft -- they're usually "coached up" better than that.

I should have rephrased that, and was about to before your response. That's completely correct - it's not the kids fault for taking the money, it's the system's fault for allowing it to happen

I should have rephrased that, and was about to before your response. That's completely correct - it's not the kids fault for taking the money, it's the system's fault for allowing it to happen

Me, too. I should've worded it better. I'm sick of the system and the people that act like it doesn't exist

I'm proud to say this dimbulb 5-star, Laremy Tunsil, is from my "backyard". It's absolutely shocking how stupid people are around where I live. Bong hits wearing a gas mask just before the NFL draft? LMAO! Have I told you about my neighbor? Or the neighbor on the other side of me? Merika!

I don't know how you do it. I simply could not.

Let me rephrase that again - I'd take the money, then spurn everyone and go on to be an All American at NU anyways

Reactions: NUCat320
The trail of cash leads to the SEC and other big time programs.

I'll go the other direction. Based on performance, he took below market value for his services. Only in the NCAA, does the athlete get underpaid. Any way that they can beat an unfair system is ok in my book.

Johnny Football forced the issue by allowing public knowledge. Now Tunsil has done the same. As more and more athletes flip the NCAA off, eventually they will be forced to address it. Either become more Draconian at the risk of losing premier athletes and the associated revenue or find a better approach to compensation.

Reactions: nycat33
Prologue Question: why do some fans on this site insist on making every story that involves an SEC school an SEC-trashing event? They should really consider that question a bit, as it does not reflect well on those who do it.

Okay, now my real response to the topic at hand, and the comments thus far:

No. Not in my book.

Look, character matters. Even when you're 16 years old. Or 18. Or 21.

Wrong is wrong. There's not a high school senior football player on the planet who doesn't know that you're not supposed to get paid cash to play college ball. They know that because they know that the NFL is the ultimate goal for those with real talent, because that's where you do get paid.

They're not stupid, stereotypes notwithstanding. And they're not free of responsibility. We should stop treating them as if they were. As if they're still 8 or 9 years old.

Absolutely, throw the book at the coaches involved. And at their head coach and the program in general for a clear and egregious lack of institutional control. But don't absolve the player who happily took the money just because he's, what, less of a man? less of an adult? He should pay a price, as well, for doing something he clearly knew was wrong. Not as severe a penalty as the authority figures involved, but a significant price nonetheless.

If we stop holding children responsible for their actions, they never learn responsibility before adulthood. If we stop holding young adults responsible, they may never learn it at all.

Prologue Question: why do some fans on this site insist on making every story that involves an SEC school an SEC-trashing event? They should really consider that question a bit, as it does not reflect well on those who do it.

No. Not in my book.

Wrong is wrong. There's not a high school senior football player on the planet who doesn't know that you're not supposed to get paid cash to play college ball. They know that because they know that the NFL is the ultimate goal for those with real talent, because that's where you do get paid.

They're not stupid, stereotypes notwithstanding. And they're not free of responsibility. We should stop treating them as if they were. As if they're still 8 or 9 years old.

Absolutely, throw the book at the coaches involved. And at their head coach and the program in general for a clear and egregious lack of institutional control. But don't absolve the player who happily took the money just because he's, what, less of a man? less of an adult? He should pay a price, as well, for doing something he clearly knew was wrong. Not as severe a penalty as the authority figures involved, but a significant price nonetheless.

If we stop holding children responsible for their actions, they never learn responsibility before adulthood. If we stop holding young adults responsible, they may never learn it at all.

The kids should be punished too although their punishment should be lighter in part because schools have less power over kids than coaches. The kids should not be allowed to be part of school's hall of fame, not be given honorary degrees, not be a paid commenter on college games, not be honored at half time, have records stripped, etc.

However, I would not punish kids if they fully cooperate with NCAA investigations and the like.

The kids should be punished too although their punishment should be lighter in part because schools have less power over kids than coaches. The kids should not be allowed to be part of school's hall of fame, not be given honorary degrees, not be a paid commenter on college games, not be honored at half time, have records stripped, etc.

I agree entirely, with one key difference. When does he stop being a kid? He's 21 years old, to turn 22 in a few months. In the eyes of the law, he stopped being a kid and started being given significant rights and responsibilities somewhere between the age of 16 (access to the most deadly weapon in America, a car), 17 (the right to bleed and die for your country), 18 (legal adulthood in most senses), and 21 (alcohol).

I'd call him a man. He stopped being a kid three or four years ago.

Because the SEC deserves it? SEC football is a cesspool.

See, you say that and what I discern is this:

* Immature outlook ... it's easy for any of us to sit around insulting other conferences (believe me, the B10 gets more its share of disdain in other venues), but it adds nothing of value to the conversation.
* Inferiority complex ... you don't spend time and effort belittling the guys who are already littler than you, they're not worth it.
* Mean-spirited personality ... if this is how you get your kicks, it does not say great things about you as a person.

Before you think I'm just an SEC apologist, I would say the same thing to a PAC fan railing against the ACC or a B12 fan making sweeping accusations against the B10. Immature is immature, and a mean spirit is a mean spirit.

* Immature outlook ... it's easy for any of us to sit around insulting other conferences (believe me, the B10 gets more its share of disdain in other venues), but it adds nothing of value to the conversation.
* Inferiority complex ... you don't spend time and effort belittling the guys who are already littler than you, they're not worth it.
* Mean-spirited personality ... if this is how you get your kicks, it does not say great things about you as a person.

Before you think I'm just an SEC apologist, I would say the same thing to a PAC fan railing against the ACC or a B12 fan making sweeping accusations against the B10. Immature is immature, and a mean spirit is a mean spirit.

It's pretty easy to make generalizations when recruiting improprieties are a headline story at two SEC programs on the same day (Tunsil's admissions for Ole Miss and Alabama firing their DL coach for recruiting violations), which follows other headline recruiting stories (the Cam Newton affair, etc.).

Actually, it is the kid's fault if he knows it's illegal under the rules. That said, I certainly would admit to doing some wrong things at that age.

Actually, it is the kid's fault if he knows it's illegal under the rules. That said, I certainly would admit to doing some wrong things at that age.
If we take the texts/situation at face value, he was trying to get money to pay his mom's electric bill. I don't know who wouldn't try and get some cash in that situation.

Reactions: IGNORE2

The problem is the league knows it has a problem and doesn't want to rock the success boat and clean it up. Look back a few years ago when Slive told the member schools to stop turning each other into the NCAA because it was making the league look bad. That is not an organization that wants to be clean.

I would have too! The point is not the athlete but the schools who claim ignorance every time this happens . The NCAA is even worse. The bigger the football factory, the more money the spend on players.

No. Not in my book.

Solid post!

You can have any interpretation you want, but I can assure you that the sentiment here is far closer to pure disdain and disgust than any of the above. The SEC is a cesspool. Just like dOSU. We have our problems in the B1G too, so let's be clear that this isn't about this conference or that one.

You can have any interpretation you want, but I can assure you that the sentiment here is far closer to pure disdain and disgust than any of the above. The SEC is a cesspool. Just like dOSU. We have our problems in the B1G too, so let's be clear that this isn't about this conference or that one.

Let's take an idea, one that has some factual underpinnings in specific instances. Then let's generalize based on those. A lot. And come up with some sweeping statements that condemn a whole group of entities by association.

In some applications, that's called racism. In others, bigotry. In yet others, stupidity.

Which would you prefer we call your perspective in this case?

If Ole Miss is a cheating football program, absolutely call the school out. If Alabama cheats as well, castigate them too. And Ohio State? Yep, rail against them.

But just as you wouldn't want Northwestern to be called a cheating cesspool merely by association with OSU, Michigan and others in the B10, I don't appreciate Tennessee being tarred with the same brush you're using on Ole Miss.

One can only conclude that the repeated SEC-bashing found in this forum is x% immaturity, y% mean-spiritedness, and z% inferiority complex. Don't have enough data yet to solve for those three unknowns, but they all seem to be in the equation.

It's only wrong because a private organization said so. Everywhere else in this country, you get paid for your work. And how do you propose punishment? Ask the government to enforce the internal rules of a private organization? I could create some extreme examples to demonstrate the ludicrous nature of this option.

But without government intervention, the NCAA has lost its reach and control over the players by the time they discover the transgression. Perhaps the NFL and NBA should collude with the NCAA to enforce the NCAA rules. Assuming for a brief moment that the pro leagues would willingly adhere and absorb any revenue loss consequence, can you envision the players' union going along under any circumstance. 'Help us enforce denying compensation to your membership.' Ha - never gonna happen.

As mentioned on an earlier thread, the NFL and NBA need a minor league system comparable to the MLB where the best young players can go and get compensated. Let the remnants play college ball with only a moon shot chance to play professionally, thereby returning to the concept of student athlete. Also, destroying the NCAA and leading to the demise of many athletic departments. Also, not gonna happen. The only realistic approach: make the NCAAs that minor league program and provide better compensation and greater protection for the players.

Let's take an idea, one that has some factual underpinnings in specific instances. Then let's generalize based on those. A lot. And come up with some sweeping statements that condemn a whole group of entities by association.

In some applications, that's called racism. In others, bigotry. In yet others, stupidity.

Which would you prefer we call your perspective in this case?

If Ole Miss is a cheating football program, absolutely call the school out. If Alabama cheats as well, castigate them too. And Ohio State? Yep, rail against them.

But just as you wouldn't want Northwestern to be called a cheating cesspool merely by association with OSU, Michigan and others in the B10, I don't appreciate Tennessee being tarred with the same brush you're using on Ole Miss.

One can only conclude that the repeated SEC-bashing found in this forum is x% immaturity, y% mean-spiritedness, and z% inferiority complex. Don't have enough data yet to solve for those three unknowns, but they all seem to be in the equation.
Did UT not employ Bruce Pearl, Donnie Tyndall, and Lane Kiffin?

It's only wrong because a private organization said so.

Not because a private organization said so. Because a very large body of academic institutions got together and agreed that it should be so.

Easy to blame the NCAA when you don't like what the nation's colleges and universities have agreed upon in sports. But one should never forget that the NCAA can't make broad, far-reaching decisions without the support and agreement of at least a majority of its member institutions.

Want to change the rules? Have at it. All you have to do is convince a majority of colleges and universities to raise their hand. Or maybe all it would take would be the majority of the 128 institutions in FCS, or maybe even just the majority of those in the Power 5 conferences.

We made college athletes amateur, and defined that as not being allowed to receive pay to play. We did, our society. Don't lay that one on the NCAA as an institution, it's a cop-out.

Did UT not employ Bruce Pearl, Donnie Tyndall, and Lane Kiffin?

Did NU not get exposed for its basketball players shaving points in games and being paid to do so?

And not too long after that, did NU not get exposed again for its football players betting on their own games?

I don't think NU is a cheating cesspool because some of its players cheated. Especially since the institution responded in the right way.

And I don't fault UT because one its coaches held a barbeque at his house, and then lied about it to the NCAA (that was Pearl). Because the institution responded in the right way.

By the way, Tyndall did nothing wrong while at Tennessee; you seem to be claiming he did. And Kiffin (God, I truly dislike that man-child) had only minor recruiting violations of the nature that happen throughout just about all programs from time to time (texting a player in a recruiting dead period, etc.). You wrote your sentence as if Tennessee hired three thugs and set them lose on the NCAA rulebook. Gross mischaracterization, if that's what was intended.

We made college athletes amateur, and defined that as not being allowed to receive pay to play. We did, our society. Don't lay that one on the NCAA as an institution, it's a cop-out.
Actually, one court case in the 1950s decided that college athletes were amateurs.

Did NU not get exposed for its basketball players shaving points in games and being paid to do so?

And not too long after that, did NU not get exposed again for its football players betting on their own games?

I don't think NU is a cheating cesspool because some of its players cheated. Especially since the institution responded in the right way.

And I don't fault UT because one its coaches held a barbeque at his house, and then lied about it to the NCAA (that was Pearl). Because the institution responded in the right way.

By the way, Tyndall did nothing wrong while at Tennessee; you seem to be claiming he did. And Kiffin (God, I truly dislike that man-child) had only minor recruiting violations of the nature that happen throughout just about all programs from time to time (texting a player in a recruiting dead period, etc.). You wrote your sentence as if Tennessee hired three thugs and set them lose on the NCAA rulebook. Gross mischaracterization, if that's what was intended.
No, NU did not get exposed for those things. NU self-reported those violations and continues to be one of something like 3 schools in this country without NCAA imposed major violations.

No, NU did not get exposed for those things. NU self-reported those violations and continues to be one of something like 3 schools in this country without NCAA imposed major violations.

And your point is?

Tennessee self-reported Kiffin's minor violations, and fired Pearl when it became evident that he lied to the NCAA about the barbeque.

NU is either an honorable institution that had some bad apples that they dealt with, or it is a cheating cesspool. UT is the same. I believe the former of both of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT