ADVERTISEMENT

On to Wintrust

ubercat

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2005
NUmenor
Heading down there today with Turk to check out DePaul's new digs. Hoping the beer will be cheaper than it is at their old digs. No parking worries, as we're taking the "L" to Cermak. I do think their new place will be a little more fan-friendly than Allstate.

Oh, and more importantly, let's see the 'Cats continue their upward trajectory and Exorcise the Demons.

Heading down there today with Turk to check out DePaul's new digs. Hoping the beer will be cheaper than it is at their old digs. No parking worries, as we're taking the "L" to Cermak. I do think their new place will be a little more fan-friendly than Allstate.

Oh, and more importantly, let's see the 'Cats continue their upward trajectory and Exorcise the Demons.

I'm heading down there today for the same reason: to check out Wintrust Arena. I'm looking forward to seeing the new arena.

Reactions: FloridAlum

Have fun! Hear is the title for today’s thread after we win!

“Upsurging Cats derail Christmas plans for Blue Demons!

I'm heading down there today for the same reason: to check out Wintrust Arena. I'm looking forward to seeing the new arena.
Looking forward to your and Uber's thoughts, as the photos looked pretty nice. What do think the attendance might be?

This is always a big game for those of us who have been around for awhile. I loved the old battles against Ray Meyer at DePaul, Al McGuire at Marquette, and George Ireland from Loyola. Those were heady days for Chicago basketball. Even in the Joey Meyer & Gene Sullivan days, these games used to have more fan excitement than many Big Ten games. Of course, we were not very competitive against those guys in most years. Let's get a win today.

Reactions: ubercat
Back from Wintrust.

What a great venue. We sat in Sec. 114 in the first row behind the railing and really enjoyed the place. Wide concourses, good food, cheaper beer than Allstate. It has an open, airy feel to it. I doubt if DePaul games would ever fill it to capacity, though. I wouldn't mind going down there to see the Villanova game. Hope Welsh-Ryan 2.0 will be just as much of a success.

Back from Wintrust.

What a great venue. We sat in Sec. 114 in the first row behind the railing and really enjoyed the place. Wide concourses, good food, cheaper beer than Allstate. It has an open, airy feel to it. I doubt if DePaul games would ever fill it to capacity, though. I wouldn't mind going down there to see the Villanova game. Hope Welsh-Ryan 2.0 will be just as much of a success.

I agree with this for the most part. We were in the upper deck but still had a great, relatively close view of the floor. Food was good, beer was reasonably cheap. The concourses were wide but my biggest complaint is that they felt unfinished: bare concrete floors, bare walls, curtains hanging everywhere... it’s like they still have work to do on the place.

If DePaul ever gets consistently good again I bet they can fill it. I also bet that place would be LOUD with a sellout crowd and not 2/3 empty like today.

Reactions: ubercat
Agreed, Styre. I would love to see DePaul become relevant again (along with Loyola). I wonder if the "unfinished" look might be attributable to deadlines, and be considered a work in progress. Overall, I think it's what the UIC Pavilion aspired to be.

Back from Wintrust.

Thus the genius of the 6,800 capacity at the new WR.

We'll see. as only time will tell.
Willy, are the handicap seats included within the 6,800 number? It appeared on the 3D map that there were alot of handicap seating sections. W/R 2.0 may be over that 7,000 number since its not included in the general seating numbers.

Yesterday was the first game I've seen at Wintrust, but the third time I've been there. So some of the the newness of the place has worn off. Here are my thoughts:

Good:
- The scoreboard. Four large, high-def video boards, with stats shown on the smaller boards between them. They are a huge upgrade from the awful scoreboard situation at AA.

- The original plan was to sink the court below street level and have people enter at the top of the main level. I love that concept. Unfortunately it ended up being cost prohibitive, but they kept the idea of people entering the seating bowl at the top of the main level. So you enter the building and immediately take an escalator up. I still love having people enter at the top of the seating bowl, but this application doesn't work as well, especially if there were a big crowd.

- The main level concourse is very nice, it's spacious with a view of the court.

Not so good
- Some people like the open, airy feel, but it's not really my thing. I prefer a more enclosed seating bowl. I expect the new WRA to be much closer to my preference here.

- The generic feel, as someone else mentioned. I'm not sure if this is because it's so new or because it's not entirely DePaul's arena so maybe they need to keep it more neutral in decoration.

- The balcony concourse is kind of cramped. And is there really only one escalator to the balcony? The place reminded me a bit of Ryan Field in that the crowd flow is fine when it's 1/3 empty, but would be pretty congested with a capacity crowd.

Mixed
- The crowd. I was pleasantly surprised by the share of NU fans in attendance. But the overall crowd size, 7k in the box score, was underwhelming. I guess I should give DePaul some time to build back their fan base after AA basically killed it. But I think the cost study on WA said DePaul needs to average 9.5k for the City to break even on their games. Good luck with that...

Back from Wintrust.

Beer!? We didn't need beer watching Villanova in the Palestra. The venue provided the high. Go Big Five!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT