ADVERTISEMENT

Only one pothole remains in the west lot...

sprinkler2

Aug 31, 2007
but it is the entire north side of the lot.

With the exception of the overhead lights, the south end of the lot appears almost complete with new paving, painted parking spots and street lights. It looks like there is still planting to be done.

The north side of the parking lot is piles of dirt (big piles) surrounded by fencing.

If someone can tell me how to post pics I can post a few.

With the exception of the overhead lights, the south end of the lot appears almost complete with new paving, painted parking spots and street lights. It looks like there is still planting to be done.

The north side of the parking lot is piles of dirt (big piles) surrounded by fencing.

If that remains they will probably only be able to park 100 or less cars there and then will have to increase the ransom to $2,000,

Yeah, I was there Friday and saw the same thing. Planting needs to be done, and the "large pothole" is there (and walled off) but there still needs to be another layer on the south portion as evidenced by the "lip" of cement which borders the new blacktop (with stripes). and it is crested so the water runs to each side, avoiding the lakes which gave the old lot character. Waiting to see the effect of the alley fence on foot traffic as well. Just three weeks...

Yea I would be happy if they counted my Priority Points, rather then give parking spots to "Johnnie Come Latelys" with deep pockets.

An extra $600 bucks is "deep pockets?" I realize everyone's situation is different, but at least it's not the (sometime tens of) thousands of dollars required at our B1G competitors.

There are plenty of solutions if a west lot pass is THAT important to you (i.e. pooling donations, etc.).

Reactions: Fitz51
Yea I would be happy if they counted my Priority Points, rather then give parking spots to "Johnnie Come Latelys" with deep pockets.

Yeah. People around here want a winning team, first class facilities, smooth as glass parking lots, etc. and they don't want to have to fork over a dime for it.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Reactions: Fitz51
You should just do what I do and mooch off other people who has a parking pass. Haven't spent a cent on parking and I always find myself in the east lot. Works like a charm

Reactions: Noah121
M
An extra $600 bucks is "deep pockets?" I realize everyone's situation is different, but at least it's not the (sometime tens of) thousands of dollars required at our B1G competitors.

There are plenty of solutions if a west lot pass is THAT important to you (i.e. pooling donations, etc.).

B1G competitors??? Northern Illinois charges $1K to park next to the stadium, Northern Illinois! And that only gets you one, it's $2K if you want two spots.

Reactions: YesterdaysCat
Yeah. People around here want a winning team, first class facilities, smooth as glass parking lots, etc. and they don't want to have to fork over a dime for it.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Well I have forked over many, many dimes over the years and now all of those coveted priority points mean zip/nothing. let me know when these $600 'johnnie come latelys" bring a Big Ten Championship to Evanston.

Well I have forked over many, many dimes over the years and now all of those coveted priority points mean zip/nothing. let me know when these $600 'johnnie come latelys" bring a Big Ten Championship to Evanston.

I think it's great that these "johnnie come latelys" care enough about the program to fork over the $600. Nothing wrong with johnnie come latelys, I especially like the ones that started buying STs in 96 ;-)

Reactions: YesterdaysCat
I don't care (generalizing here) who is giving money to the program as long as the program is using the money.

I think it's great that these "johnnie come latelys" care enough about the program to fork over the $600. Nothing wrong with johnnie come latelys, I especially like the ones that started buying STs in 96 ;-)
Do you really think that it is good thing when someone, who forks over $600 gets preferential treatment over a long time supporters who has been a season ticket holders for over 20 years and contributed regularly to the athletic fund? Guess some of us now know how Shon Morris felt a few years ago.

Do you really think that it is good thing when someone, who forks over $600 gets preferential treatment over a long time supporters who has been a season ticket holders for over 20 years and contributed regularly to the athletic fund? Guess some of us now know how Shon Morris felt a few years ago.
I'll turn your question around. Do you think it was a good thing that under the old system a young alum had no opportunity to secure an east/west spot unless they had $5K to fork over? While it worked for a while the old system gave too much priority to long time STHs who never donated a dime. The new system provides some order of fairness to newer fans. I also find the "johnnie come lately" tag comical and somewhat insulting to young alums. I really can't find fault in their not being a STH for over 20 years if they're only 26 years old. On a side note, could someone please tell me what's wrong with the south golf course lot? While I'm not got to give up my east lot passes I stopped by the golf course for a tailgate last year. Looked like a very fun lot.

We get it! You're a chintzy cheapskate who doesn't want to follow the rules, even though they apply to everybody and were announced a long while ago.

Also, as far as I know, your season ticket history is taken into account for your seats. Personally, I feel NU should institute personal seat licenses so you would have to fork over more for your seats. Maybe next year!

Maybe that's why they draw about 14,000 to a home game....

Or maybe it's because they're in the MAC?

Our parking rules won't affect our attendance. Our attendance seems to depend heavily on the quality of the scheduled opponents and our team's prognosis.

Personally, I feel NU should institute personal seat licenses so you would have to fork over more for your seats. Maybe next year![/QUOTE]

Great idea!

We get it! You're a chintzy cheapskate who doesn't want to follow the rules, even though they apply to everybody and were announced a long while ago.

Also, as far as I know, your season ticket history is taken into account for your seats. Personally, I feel NU should institute personal seat licenses so you would have to fork over more for your seats. Maybe next year!
Notice when one is on the wrong end of a argument, they resort to name calling. It's called being a loser. Mind if I ask how many season tickets you have? How many times have you contributed $600 or more to the athletic fund? Or even how many times have you given a dollar or more to he football or basketball programs? That's a question for this year. I'll be waiting patiently for your articulate response.

I'll turn your question around. Do you think it was a good thing that under the old system a young alum had no opportunity to secure an east/west spot unless they had $5K to fork over? While it worked for a while the old system gave too much priority to long time STHs who never donated a dime. The new system provides some order of fairness to newer fans. I also find the "johnnie come lately" tag comical and somewhat insulting to young alums. I really can't find fault in their not being a STH for over 20 years if they're only 26 years old. On a side note, could someone please tell me what's wrong with the south golf course lot? While I'm not got to give up my east lot passes I stopped by the golf course for a tailgate last year. Looked like a very fun lot.
Ok, so long time loyalty is bad in your opinion and wondering how many long time NU fans who parked in the west lot have 'NEVER" given a dime. I personally don't know of any, do you? if you like the south golf course lot so much, I'll switch with, just to see how I like the new, smaller, fenced in "improved" lot.

The question is not long time season ticket holder vs donor. It is the foolish policy that the 5,000 donor last year or 5 years ago is treated worse than the 600 donor just because the small donor was this year.

From a game theory point of view it is a bad policy because it discourages larger donors now, and encourages them to spread donations out over time to get parking preference. It undermines the objective of encouraging larger donations, when they are explicitly saying your current generosity will not be counted in the future.

The question is not long time season ticket holder vs donor. It is the foolish policy that the 5,000 donor last year or 5 years ago is treated worse than the 600 donor just because the small donor was this year.

From a game theory point of view it is a bad policy because it discourages larger donors now, and encourages them to spread donations out over time to get parking preference. It undermines the objective of encouraging larger donations, when they are explicitly saying your current generosity will not be counted in the future.

Or the whole point is to build a base of consistent giving.

how would you know? are you the larger giver that now has no incentive to "give" beyond the $600 level in this new world that dr jim has created that has reduced this all to a $$ maximization game? i think there are lots out there who see the reality.

I have to say, I'm just a bit disappointed, guys and gals.

This being Northwestern and all, I fully expected "one pothole left in the west lot" to be some hugely clever analogy about the phenomenal job Pat has done with the program, there being only one significant point of weakness on the team today, and so on.

To discover that it was truly just about a parking lot was, well, a bit underwhelming.

Let's go back to talking about stomping a mud hole in Wisconsin. :)

Reactions: Noah121
I learned a long time ago not to tell people how and when they should spend THEIR money. Circumstances change for folks throughout their lifetime. They may have a great year at work and be able to fork over far more than typical that year. They may be retired and on a fixed income and can't afford to keep playing the increasing cost to get the right to pay for parking of their choice. Their may incur medical costs that derail them.

Willy has said multiple times that he has held his ST's for decades and has contributed in the tens of thousands aggregate over the years. Surely, the bright folks at NU can figure a way to give access to young alumni at the same time not to kick loyal people to the curb with a smug " too bad you knew the rules" approach. It's flat out unnecessary. I know it is easy to jump Willy because he complains about a lot of things many of us find trivial. However, I see his arse at EVERY home game and he is known to appear on the road. I hope all of you that gleefully support the policy are ponying up at least the $600 to support the program each year. This never should have come to the point of running off 25+ year ST's that have a lifetime record of giving.

I am not buying this argument of how much cheaper it is at NU compared to other B1G schools like the athletic department is doing us some big favor to ONLY require $600. It is called supply and demand and this price will go up. If they could get enough doners to give $2k a year to fill up parking, they would. Not everyone that are ST's are alums making several hundred thousand a year! Again, I hope the people with the deep pockets are putting their money where their mouth is so NU can add a few more Porta Potties for those of us who are there every week. Peace!

I learned a long time ago not to tell people how and when they should spend THEIR money. Circumstances change for folks throughout their lifetime. They may have a great year at work and be able to fork over far more than typical that year. They may be retired and on a fixed income and can't afford to keep playing the increasing cost to get the right to pay for parking of their choice. Their may incur medical costs that derail them.

Willy has said multiple times that he has held his ST's for decades and has contributed in the tens of thousands aggregate over the years. Surely, the bright folks at NU can figure a way to give access to young alumni at the same time not to kick loyal people to the curb with a smug " too bad you knew the rules" approach. It's flat out unnecessary. I know it is easy to jump Willy because he complains about a lot of things many of us find trivial. However, I see his arse at EVERY home game and he is known to appear on the road. I hope all of you that gleefully support the policy are ponying up at least the $600 to support the program each year. This never should have come to the point of running off 25+ year ST's that have a lifetime record of giving.

I am not buying this argument of how much cheaper it is at NU compared to other B1G schools like the athletic department is doing us some big favor to ONLY require $600. It is called supply and demand and this price will go up. If they could get enough doners to give $2k a year to fill up parking, they would. Not everyone that are ST's are alums making several hundred thousand a year! Again, I hope the people with the deep pockets are putting their money where their mouth is so NU can add a few more Porta Potties for those of us who are there every week. Peace!

I'm one of the guys PPD is talking about. I've never set foot inside a Northwestern classroom, and I only make five figures. In addition to a couple of other slightly larger contributions, I add an additional $100 to each renewal (football and basketball), and have been doing so for 20 years. In total, I've given $7,000-8,000 to the University - which, admittedly, is chump change compared to a lot of our posters. It IS a pretty fair amount, though, for non-superstars like me who have no formal connection to the school. Though I can see both sides of this, I'd like to think there could be some happy medium, where long term loyalty is, at least to a degree, included in the equation. Obviously, I'm not thrilled with being bumped out of the West Lot, where I've been forever, but I get the logic they're employing. $600, however, is a bit more than I can justify spending. Nonetheless, I would stop short of saying I'm "bitter" about it, and I'll continue to support the program as best I'm able.

Except nobody's being "kicked to the curb" here. We are talking about parking PRIORITY, not whether parking is available or season tickets can be purchased.

If parking in the preferred lot is enough of a priority that someone will threaten to withdraw their support for the program (or bitch about it on the boards all the time) when it doesn't happen, then come up with the minimum donation.

Ok, so long time loyalty is bad in your opinion and wondering how many long time NU fans who parked in the west lot have 'NEVER" given a dime. I personally don't know of any, do you? if you like the south golf course lot so much, I'll switch with, just to see how I like the new, smaller, fenced in "improved" lot.
Actually I myself knew of several (east lot) that fit the "never given" mold. There are (possibly now WERE) more than you would realize. The ones I were aware of had no connections to NU. Most were local business owners. One was a long time tOSU fan who bought STs just so once every other year he could host a tailgate for his tOSU friends when they came to town. His dropping them likely the result of unbalanced schedule/divisions now resulting in tOSU coming to Evanston once a decade it seems.

Except nobody's being "kicked to the curb" here. We are talking about parking PRIORITY, not whether parking is available or season tickets can be purchased.

If parking in the preferred lot is enough of a priority that someone will threaten to withdraw their support for the program (or bitch about it on the boards all the time) when it doesn't happen, then come up with the minimum donation.
GCG, my suggestion is you can achieve both outcomes to some degree. Why not set VERY high threshold of Priority Points to account for say 5-10% of the spots of the East and West Lot. Let's say that equates to 25+ years of ST's and/or $10k lifetime donations. How many of those can there be? I bet these long ST's have brought revenue to the program by developing new fans just by having them tag along to games. It's just plan bad business to alienate these type of fans in a program that is starved to fill a relatively small stadium.

GCG, my suggestion is you can achieve both outcomes to some degree. Why not set VERY high threshold of Priority Points to account for say 5-10% of the spots of the East and West Lot. Let's say that equates to 25+ years of ST's and/or $10k lifetime donations. How many of those can there be? I bet these long ST's have brought revenue to the program by developing new fans just by having them tag along to games. It's just plan bad business to alienate these type of fans in a program that is starved to fill a relatively small stadium.

They're not really being alienated, though.

Thanks Driver. Let me add that a lot of those advocating the new policy and knocking the older supporters of the program are the same ones who don't purchase season tickets or donate $600 or more for the privilege to park near the stadium. yet they still manage to make it the tailgates, empty handed and partake in the in the refreshments.

Thanks Driver. Let me add that a lot of those advocating the new policy and knocking the older supporters of the program are the same ones who don't purchase season tickets or donate $600 or more for the privilege to park near the stadium. yet they still manage to make it the tailgates, empty handed and partake in the in the refreshments.

Seems like you've got more of a problem with these "moochers" than you do with parking. That's not the program's problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT