ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions

Perhaps - but new AD with no reputation and a bad basketball team. If fitz let’s the FB team crumble due to bad hires, that’s a short career for that AD. Always need a fall guy and fitz is not firable.

If it’s me - each open coach spot - I let fitz invite an interviewee and I find a couple. I seek good outside info on the fitz guy. If not a great choice, I find a way to torpedo. Fitz might hate me, but he won’t cost me my job.

And if he goes to Ryan, I bet I can have a private conversation filled with facts like JON, McCall, Springer, Cushing, etc and prove my interference has been for the better of the team.

Like I said, what’s fitz gonna do - quit? Nope. Maybe just hate me.

AD’s who get involved in assistant coaching hires will soon find themselves without good head coaches.

Reactions: corbi296
So Fitz really hired one of his most important assistants because he was at NU as a grad assistant 18 years ago? How is that acceptable behavior for a $5 million head coach?
Note: one who has demonstrated experience at being *terrible* at the job.

Reactions: drewjin
The linebackers are undersized, slow and weak at the point of attack. They are terrible and other players should get opportunities to play immediately.
I knew it was trouble when Fitz was trotting out McIntyre to the Monday press conferences. That means we don’t have a better option at that position.

Perhaps - but new AD with no reputation and a bad basketball team. If fitz let’s the FB team crumble due to bad hires, that’s a short career for that AD. Always need a fall guy and fitz is not firable.

If it’s me - each open coach spot - I let fitz invite an interviewee and I find a couple. I seek good outside info on the fitz guy. If not a great choice, I find a way to torpedo. Fitz might hate me, but he won’t cost me my job.

And if he goes to Ryan, I bet I can have a private conversation filled with facts like JON, McCall, Springer, Cushing, etc and prove my interference has been for the better of the team.

Like I said, what’s fitz gonna do - quit? Nope. Maybe just hate me.
Why is he Fitz not fireable?

Fitz is not going to fire JON, primarily that would mean he was wrong. To me it appears the defense is not aggressive and doesn’t attack. It looks as they are always reacting to the play. When doing so they are always steps behind or out of position.

Last edited:
Come on we all know they Fitz is going to keep JON to stick it to all the haterz
If he does that then he should be shown the door as well. The guy is too comfortable for his own good. He is in his 16th season and has only 2 division titles to show for that. He will make the HOF mainly for longevity. It seems like summer camp was run like Club Med the way that the team was so unprepared for the season. Fitz needs to feel the heat.

If he does that then he should be shown the door as well. The guy is too comfortable for his own good. He is in his 16th season and has only 2 division titles to show for that. He will make the HOF mainly for longevity. It seems like summer camp was run like Club Med the way that the team was so unprepared for the season. Fitz needs to feel the heat.
The only person in the world that can make him feel heat is Pat Ryan

Reactions: IGNORE2
He does double-down when under fire. Always has.
Yes, but then when it ends, it ends. As we saw in 2019 with how disastrous the offense was, it was clearly time to move on from McCall.

Only question with JON is when this will end; at least Fitz's going through the double-down phase early this season.

I will be surprised if JON is kept as DC past this season if we see more of this Nebraska/Michigan State/first half of Duke performance repeated (which seems pretty likely).

Nothing in JON's past shows that he's capable of handling the DC responsibilities or being able to fix a situation this broken on the fly.

Yes, but then when it ends, it ends. As we saw in 2019 with how disastrous the offense was, it was clearly time to move on from McCall.

Only question with JON is when this will end; at least Fitz's going through the double-down phase early this season.

I will be surprised if JON is kept as DC past this season if we see more of this Nebraska/Michigan State/first half of Duke performance repeated (which seems pretty likely).

Nothing in JON's past shows that he's capable of handling the DC responsibilities or being able to fix a situation this broken on the fly.
I still remember the first play of the MSU game, looking down the row at my buddy with a WTF look. There are zero positives I have seen with JON, but Fitz be Fitz and and will be stubborn. He doesn't realize it is a direct reflection of him. But he has generational wealth so he can play that game. I think Lou and the student reports (our only coverage) should not show up to the next conference call. I don't need to hear this BS and would be fine with the silence from Lou.

I still remember the first play of the MSU game, looking down the row at my buddy with a WTF look. There are zero positives I have seen with JON, but Fitz be Fitz and and will be stubborn. He doesn't realize it is a direct reflection of him. But he has generational wealth so he can play that game. I think Lou and the student reports (our only coverage) should not show up to the next conference call. I don't need to hear this BS and would be fine with the silence from Lou.
I think that now it’s all the more important for them to show up so they can challenge him. Ask him point blank whether he regrets the hire and then follow up with asking whether he thinks his stubbornness is hurting the program. Given the circumstances, they should consider nothing less.

I think that now it’s all the more important for them to show up so they can challenge him. Ask him point blank whether he regrets the hire and then follow up with asking whether he thinks his stubbornness is hurting the program. Given the circumstances, they should consider nothing less.
The more he’s pushed the more he digs in. He’s going to say of course he doesn’t regret it and then tell off all the bloggers living in the basement.

The more he’s pushed the more he digs in. He’s going to say of course he doesn’t regret it and then tell off all the bloggers living in the basement.
That's fine but he'll be forced to make a change if the situation stays as it is.

No amount of digging in can resolve this defensive situation, and when it affects fan support and recruits/players it's over.

Which is why our student reporters and Lou have to keep asking questions.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
That's fine but he'll be forced to make a change if the situation stays as it is.

No amount of digging in can resolve this defensive situation, and when it affects fan support and recruits/players it's over.

Which is why our student reporters and Lou have to keep asking questions.
Nobody not named Pat Ryan is forcing him to do anything he doesn’t want

Fitz isn't going to fire the man until the end of the season. Even if he fired the man tomorrow, the defense will still be in disarray for the rest of the season and our bowl eligibility will have passed by the time the d coordinators got something workable together. JON has a bye week to possibly save his job. I am sure the defensive assistants have copies of Hank's playbook somewhere handy.

Nobody not named Pat Ryan is forcing him to do anything he doesn’t want
Poor results forces change.

Fitz does not want to lose football games like we lost that Nebraska game. It will wear on player retention and recruiting if we lay stink bombs like that regularly.

It's one thing to lose a tough/close game to a good opponent.

Another thing to get completely embarrassed by a team that hasn't gone bowling in a while...

Perhaps, but it’s their jobs as journalists to ask those questions. If they don’t, they’re basically affirming that they’re as useless as Fitz might imply.

It's a bunch of college students at these pressers, not journalists with real jobs.
All the more reason for them to ask harder questions -- it's not as if this is their professional beat for the foreseeable future. The Daily and InsideNU switch up football reporters practically every season.

I'd just brainstorm 15-20 different ways to ask the same question: why keep JON around?

It's a bunch of college students at these pressers, not journalists with real jobs.
Medill is one of the best journalism schools in the country. As a Daily alum, I can assure you that most Medill students take their college journalism duties seriously, and they should.

Medill is one of the best journalism schools in the country. As a Daily alum, I can assure you that most Medill students take their college journalism duties seriously, and they should.
I'm not suggesting they don't take it seriously, I just think inexperienced undergrads aren't going to put Fitz on the hot seat.....Teddy G they aren't.

Who else do we have? We’ve literally played most of the two-
I knew it was trouble when Fitz was trotting out McIntyre to the Monday press conferences. That means we don’t have a better option at that position.
They should try anyone at LB, freshman, walk ons, position change, it can’t get any worse. Maybe they’ll find some one who can play, it happened with Marty.

They should try anyone at LB, freshman, walk ons, position change, it can’t get any worse. Maybe they’ll find some one who can play, it happened with Marty.
I think the coaches believe the others on the roster are even worse. Whether that’s true or not, well both possibilities portend some bad things about this team.

I think keeping JONS through the season is a good idea. This is a lost season. So let IO and MI destroy us. End with a terrible record and let fitz respond to everyone bringing back his own quote….and then ask him how it happened. I don’t see many BS excuses. Only major injury was porter and that alone was not a season changer.

Let JONS stay and empower the new AD in ways never expected. With growing unhappiness plus fitz stubborn snarkiness and some transfers and decommitments - fitz won’t be untouchable. The AD will be very able to get involved in staffing decisions. And fitz will have no choice - no longer desirable and nobody to blame but himself.

Use this list season to teach fitz some humility. Maybe it will make him the better HC over the long run, or maybe just an angry, bitter man. Either way is ok by me.

The AD will be very able to get involved in staffing decisions.
What makes you think the "new AD" will make good staffing decisions? He played football at Vandy for God's sake, not exactly a program with a history of winning coaches......

I think keeping JONS through the season is a good idea. This is a lost season. So let IO and MI destroy us. End with a terrible record and let fitz respond to everyone bringing back his own quote….and then ask him how it happened. I don’t see many BS excuses. Only major injury was porter and that alone was not a season changer.

Let JONS stay and empower the new AD in ways never expected. With growing unhappiness plus fitz stubborn snarkiness and some transfers and decommitments - fitz won’t be untouchable. The AD will be very able to get involved in staffing decisions. And fitz will have no choice - no longer desirable and nobody to blame but himself.

Use this list season to teach fitz some humility. Maybe it will make him the better HC over the long run, or maybe just an angry, bitter man. Either way is ok by me.
I guess this is your continued argument to burn it all down, only at a more local level! :p

The problem is that this is not the pros. You can't tank and then re-build through high draft picks. If your program implodes, recruiting is damaged and you may never recover. A bunch of blow out losses this year will not help in anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin and cattul
What makes you think the "new AD" will make good staffing decisions? He played football at Vandy for God's sake, not exactly a program with a history of winning coaches......

I don’t know. Hope he is smarter than fitz in that a. He isn’t limited to his friends and acquaintances and b. Isn’t afraid to utilize a committee to choose the final hire.

I do know he can’t be worse than fitz.

I guess this is your continued argument to burn it all down, only at a more local level! :p

The problem is that this is not the pros. You can't tank and then re-build through high draft picks. If your program implodes, recruiting is damaged and you may never recover. A bunch of blow out losses this year will not help in anyway.

If you can never recover, many programs would be gone. You can recover. Takes time. And if change comes at that price, fitz will still have his recruiting network in place to start from.

Alternatively, keep JONS and watch defense turn to Colby Swiss Cheese. How will continued losing impact recruiting and the success of a program?

Btw - I don’t control the future of blowout loses nor will my cheering play a factor. Those will happen regardless. I’m looking for something positive that might come from them. We know fitz ain’t firing JONS Monday, or in season, maybe ever. I won’t stick around and root through another dark age. Let Ryan spend billions to build a stadium for our opponents if he wants.

The way I see it - the dye is cast for this year.

• Sad
Btw - I don’t control the future of blowout loses nor will my cheering play a factor. Those will happen regardless. I’m looking for something positive that might come from them. We know fitz ain’t firing JONS Monday, or in season, maybe ever. I won’t stick around and root through another dark age. Let Ryan spend billions to build a stadium for our opponents if he wants.

Fair points

And likely next year. This defense is like falling off a cliff and breaking your neck. You don't just get up and go again right away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT