ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Covid rumors

So right now it's at least one prominent starter on offense and several others, if the reports are true.

But also sounds like a lot of those players kept out the past few weeks will be back.

Seems like a wash overall.

Could be that all if not most of the WR's have been exposed to it. They do all meet together and hang with each other, right?

+OSU and Kevin Warren on the line with Playoff committee as we speak. "What happens if OSU can't play Saturday? are they still in?" You know they would rather not play and get in than take a chance with multi starters out and the chance of getting upset

+OSU and Kevin Warren on the line with Playoff committee as we speak. "What happens if OSU can't play Saturday? are they still in?" You know they would rather not play and get in than take a chance with multi starters out and the chance of getting upset
The Playoff Committee made the statement that since they've only plated 5 games so far, they need that 6th game and conference championship to assure they get in the playoffs. They'll play if there's any chance at all

The Playoff Committee made the statement that since they've only plated 5 games so far, they need that 6th game and conference championship to assure they get in the playoffs. They'll play if there's any chance at all

Which is exactly what NU should be worried about. We wouldn't have a leg to stand on/argument to make if OSU is following all the proper protocols with respect to testing and contact tracing, but we had also better be making damn sure there's no wiggle room whatsoever before we line up across from OSU in Indy.

Being reported on a few sites that Maryland and MSU is probably being cancelled. They better get this B1G CCG in because this crap is blowing up all over the place. Gonna be interesting to see how many Bowl games are canceled.

Which is exactly what NU should be worried about. We wouldn't have a leg to stand on/argument to make if OSU is following all the proper protocols with respect to testing and contact tracing, but we had also better be making damn sure there's no wiggle room whatsoever before we line up across from OSU in Indy.

How can we do that?

Serious question. Everything seems so opaque that is there any way for NU to have confidence that Ohio State is following all the proper protocols, aside from trusting Ohio State and the Big One Conference?

Reactions: Alvious
How can we do that?

Serious question. Everything seems so opaque that is there any way for NU to have confidence that Ohio State is following all the proper protocols, aside from trusting Ohio State and the Big One Conference?

As best I can tell, the B1G relies on information provided by each school's designated "Chief Infection Officer" with respect to daily testing, positive cases, positivity rates, etc. I would hope/think that there are methods by which the conference and/or the opposing team could ensure accuracy of that self-reporting for "checks and balances," but there is no specific mention in the conference's official guidelines posted here:

OSU typically releases its medical status report at 10:00 AM ET on Friday, so hopefully we know more that that point.

Reactions: freewillie07
I am legitimately concerned players may under-report contacts for tracing. It would be natural when the prospect of a National Championship is at stake.

I am legitimately concerned players may under-report contacts for tracing. It would be natural when the prospect of a National Championship is at stake.

Exactly. That kind of thing is what I was getting at with my posts above, namely that there should be some checks and balances in a "trust but verify" kind of approach. Would be pretty reckless to simply exclusively rely on self-reported information from schools.

Right, that stuff is only as good as people's answers/memory. I could totally see no cover-up at an institutional level but various single actors "not remembering" contacts. Granted, I haven't been through contact tracing myself so I don't know how invasive the questions are and if there is any oversight to ensure answers are truthful. And even if everybody during contact tracing is a genuinely honest person, they still might forget some random encounter that could make All The Difference In The World.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Avoiding Covid does require strong leadership and also a bit of luck. My wife and I both tested positive for Covid two weeks ago and have no idea where we got it. We're over 70 and have been very careful, but you have to go out occasionally to get groceries, drugs, etc., and we've had a lot of maskless wonders in our county.

I hope Ohio State has a full complement Saturday. If they beat us with reserves it looks all the worse, and if we'd beat them without their best players all we'd be hearing is, "Yeah, but so and so didn't play."

It's official according to the MSU fan board I read.
I'm being serious, with this crap spreading like wild fire, I'll be surprised if the college playoffs go off as planned. With CF players practicing and playing without masks, kids still going to class, and kids being kids, it's just a matter of time

Reactions: Titanium999
I'm being serious, with this crap spreading like wild fire, I'll be surprised if the college playoffs go off as planned. With CF players practicing and playing without masks, kids still going to class, and kids being kids, it's just a matter of time

I've been worried about this for months. I'm ecstatic (and surprised) that NU has made it this far, and we only need about 43 hours for NU and OSU to stay clean and we'll actually see NU in the Big Ten Championship again!

Avoiding Covid does require strong leadership and also a bit of luck. My wife and I both tested positive for Covid two weeks ago and have no idea where we got it. We're over 70 and have been very careful, but you have to go out occasionally to get groceries, drugs, etc., and we've had a lot of maskless wonders in our county.

I hope Ohio State has a full complement Saturday. If they beat us with reserves it looks all the worse, and if we'd beat them without their best players all we'd be hearing is, "Yeah, but so and so didn't play."

If we beat them, by next year, Nobody would remember except OSU fans! I hope they have at least 5 guys missing to even the score from decades of playing imbeciles, improper payments and huge bunch of drunkin jagbags as fans!.

Remember they have sixty six 4 and 5 star recruits on their roster...we have 4. If they miss 4 players they just put in another great player. They are basically a bandit school and should be in the SEC.

F**k OSU!

We have our own problems just getting to Saturday without our own Covid issues. and playing with a lot less talent!

Right, that stuff is only as good as people's answers/memory. I could totally see no cover-up at an institutional level but various single actors "not remembering" contacts. Granted, I haven't been through contact tracing myself so I don't know how invasive the questions are and if there is any oversight to ensure answers are truthful. And even if everybody during contact tracing is a genuinely honest person, they still might forget some random encounter that could make All The Difference In The World.

If the reporting about the "star receiver" testing positive is true, and if Ohio State abides by the contact tracing requirements 100%, you'd have to think at least a few other receivers would need to be held out of the game. Surely they've been together as a position group at some point or another.

Guess we'll see at 10 a.m. ET tomorrow.

If the reporting about the "star receiver" testing positive is true, and if Ohio State abides by the contact tracing requirements 100%, you'd have to think at least a few other receivers would need to be held out of the game. Surely they've been together as a position group at some point or another.

Hopefully.

Last time they held this information to Saturday 10:00am

Like everyone here, I don’t Know enough to know whether the system could be ”gamed.” But, I’ll say this. Within the last week, I’ve been made aware of two people I know who have tested positive and still gone into work. That is messed up, but it illustrates the way some people are acting right now.

Right - there's no way they are lying about / hiding positive Covid tests. But I suspect they could dodge or reduce the contact tracing aspect of it if they wanted. (And frankly contact tracing seems such a beyond inexact science as to who qualifies or doesn't within a position group when they are all practicing with each other that I'm not quite sure how to feel about that)

This won't be released until Saturday. Friday would be the retest.
Pay attention to Vegas tomorrow. If the line starts dropping, OSU has critical players out. If not, than just a few cases. They always seem to get the inside scoop.

Pay attention to Vegas tomorrow. If the line starts dropping, OSU has critical players out. If not, than just a few cases. They always seem to get the inside scoop.
Sort of like insider trading

It's official according to the MSU fan board I read.
If it keeps going like this, there might only be the one game for Championship week. Ours. Hard to be disappointed if that happens as the game takes its proper importance

Reactions: Titanium999

I will take the win anyway we can get it. And if they can't field a full compliment, I will not feel sorry for them. We have several guys out because they elected to not play this year(or were injured). I doubt dOSU has had to deal with much of the opting out. Where would our O be with the 3 OL that were not available this year?. dOSU has so many built in advantages that basically they use the rest of the league as fodder for their championship dreams. The have 5 stars backing up the guys that can't play. You are nuts thinking it isn't pure if they don't have a full compliment. They are basically a professional team that plays at school

Last edited:
I will take the win anyway we can get it. And if they can't field a ful compliment, I will not feel sorry for them. We have several guys out because they elected to not play this year. I doubt dOSU has had to deal with much of that. Where would our O be with the 3 OL that were not available this year?. SOSU has so many built in advantages that basically they use the rest of the league as fodder for their championship dreams. The have 5 stars backing up the guys that can't play. You are nuts thinking it isn't pure if they don't have a full compliment. They are basically a professional team that plays at school
Slater would have been a tremendous help - if we had him then he would be a stud at LT and Skoronski a budding stud at RT. Would have helped the right side of our OL, which has been weak this year, a lot. That would still leave 1-2 positions that are average or below average, but I think it would have made a big difference.

Samdup would also help our DL in terms of talent and improved depth - a solid amount but not as much as Slater. Given how good B Jo has been, it's hard to say we have missed Whillock, ironically so given at the time he seemed like a significant loss.

(Btw - does anyone know more about Travis's injury situation / how he is doing? At the time I felt like there were whispers that some on the board knew more but weren't ready to share it at the time. Hoping the best for him.)

Slater would have been a tremendous help - if we had him then he would be a stud at LT and Skoronski a budding stud at RT. Would have helped the right side of our OL, which has been weak this year, a lot. That would still leave 1-2 positions that are average or below average, but I think it would have made a big difference.

Samdup would also help our DL in terms of talent and improved depth - a solid amount but not as much as Slater. Given how good B Jo has been, it's hard to say we have missed Whillock, ironically so given at the time he seemed like a significant loss.

(Btw - does anyone know more about Travis's injury situation / how he is doing? At the time I felt like there were whispers that some on the board knew more but weren't ready to share it at the time. Hoping the best for him.)

A sincere question for Klemman or other OSU visitor here: Did the Buckeyes have players opt out of this season due to Covid-19? If so, who and how many? Obviously the Wildcat described above were potentially very major contributors. I didn't follow other Big 10 schools as to their pre-season pre-season opt-outs.

Be careful - you just never know about the glass house thing with that "holier than thou attitude." All it takes is one kid starting to spread it. Do you actually believe that Ryan Day was careless ? OSU has a hell of a lot more to play for that Northwestern (playoffs). Those kids are practicing with masks on and could blow up on any team at any moment - and probably will in the next week or two. Did you see how fast it spread at Indiana who held out hope of bigger things this year ? Jesus, some of these posts are amazing.

OSU has nothing more to play for than Northwestern does! We both want the B1G championship and a National Championship.

Like everyone here, I don’t Know enough to know whether the system could be ”gamed.” But, I’ll say this. Within the last week, I’ve been made aware of two people I know who have tested positive and still gone into work. That is messed up, but it illustrates the way some people are acting right now.

Idiots!

No matter what happens on Saturday and afterward...whether we win and go to the Fiesta Bowl and watch from home, or we lose and our players vote not to go to a bowl game...whether Ohio State is fully loaded or they're down a whole position group...let's just celebrate the fact that we actually wound up having something resembling a football season - and a very successful one at that.

In August it looked like we wouldn't be playing a single game at all, and now it has turned out to be one of the most successful seasons of the Fitz era. And honestly, on top of that, I'm as proud of our COVID-free "season" as I am our division championship. I don't blame anyone who gets COVID for being careless because obviously anything can happen, but when you just stop and think for a second about what an extreme level of buy-in, caution, and raw discipline it takes to keep an entire football program COVID free for a 2+ month stretch, it's kind of incredible.

A sincere question for Klemman or other OSU visitor here: Did the Buckeyes have players opt out of this season due to Covid-19? If so, who and how many? Obviously the Wildcat described above were potentially very major contributors. I didn't follow other Big 10 schools as to their pre-season pre-season opt-outs.
2 players originally opted out but didn’t sign yet with agents. Shaun Wade and Wyatt Davis, but only for about a week. They came back when the Big 10 came up with the current schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT