ADVERTISEMENT

OT: AFCA proposing new redshirt rules...

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
Proposing that while student athletes should still get five years to play four, that a player who plays in fewer than four games could still be redshirted for that season.

Personally, I think three games is probably more appropriate and I'd argue the games cannot be "strategically" selected (so...consecutive or impacted by injury).

Proposing that while student athletes should still get five years to play four, that a player who plays in fewer than four games could still be redshirted for that season.

Personally, I think three games is probably more appropriate and I'd argue the games cannot be "strategically" selected (so...consecutive or impacted by injury).

Having X number of games before a redshirt is effective seems like a difficult situation. Especially for conferences like the B1G that play 9 conference games, that essentially means freshmen could play the entire non-conference schedule and still keep a year of eligibility. That just seems a bit fishy to me.

Having X number of games before a redshirt is effective seems like a difficult situation. Especially for conferences like the B1G that play 9 conference games, that essentially means freshmen could play the entire non-conference schedule and still keep a year of eligibility. That just seems a bit fishy to me.
Could it be that the new proposed professional league has them worried? Next they might consider paying their employees.

Why not just give everyone a full 5 years? If you're in school and practing for 5 years, why not just play some damn football for 5 years...

Playing the games (if you're good enough to compete) is the easiest part of being a Freshman in college while playing football. It's the school + endless practice time that are the most taxing on your time (and energy).

Or the last 3 games of the season, when either injuries have taken a toll or you know where your team will end up for the season - basically like September call-ups in MLB

Or the last 3 games of the season, when either injuries have taken a toll or you know where your team will end up for the season - basically like September call-ups in MLB
That's what I thought of. According to what's written above, the games are required to be neither early nor consecutive. (It's twitter, so details could be left out :) )

It would be fun to give a promising athlete a gimmick package - imagine Lees taking snaps versus Wisconsin, with no available video on him. Inevitably, it would not work, however.

According to what's written above, I don't think Colter would have lost his redshirt year.

I like your idea. Injuries can kill a season, would be good to have reinforcements.

That's a HUGE competitive balance concern. The OSU/Clemson/Bama's of the world would essentially have another 15-20 healthy, high-level players at their disposal while middle-tier or lower teams would be bringing in guys who probably aren't physically ready and therefore wouldn't be in a position to meaningfully impact games.

That's a HUGE competitive balance concern. The OSU/Clemson/Bama's of the world would essentially have another 15-20 healthy, high-level players at their disposal while middle-tier or lower teams would be bringing in guys who probably aren't physically ready and therefore wouldn't be in a position to meaningfully impact games.

OK, then make it so a player is replaced and cannot play the rest of the season. I like the idea of keeping the squad up to strength numbers wise. Sort of like IR in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT