ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BUT.....Check out today's Daily Northwestern

T_Levine

May 26, 2010
I don't know if I should be saddened or sarcastic or whatever. Prolly all of the above. President Morty sure has created a campus of openness and free speech and students of all ilks.

I won't post the link here, but I think everyone can find the daily online and will know which non-sports story I am referring. I only post here because it is the largest NU of any kind discussion place.

In the past, you doubted the story that she was only doing it to work her way through college?

I saw the headline and expected something inflammatory. By the way, here is the article since OP didn't link it. Instead, it was a piece written in the same tone as if the subject had been making money for school via any profession and not as a sex worker. A breath of fresh air, in that sense. And it's nice to see the comments section isn't littered with judgment casters, either.

One quote was interesting to me...

"Cristina Polenica, who graduated from School of Education and Social Policy after Winter Quarter and is currently co-chair of Sex Week, said people, especially women, who work for the sex industry are often objectified."

A woman in that industry creates a stage persona that is intentionally one-dimensional. Developing the understanding of this person as a real person with feelings, goals, aspirations, etc. would appear to me to make that woman less marketable to the target audience. Therefore, objectification is deliberate on both sides of the coin.

IMO she has just greatly narrowed her career path. Not every organization is as open as the NU college community. Seems to me that I have read two articles in recent weeks from mainstream publications where women in the industry find that the stigma attached curtails future endeavors and one where simple immature selfies that got on the internet haunted professionals and professional advancement.

I sure wouldn't want everything I experimented with in College to be part of the public record but times to change.

IMO she has just greatly narrowed her career path. Not every organization is as open as the NU college community. Seems to me that I have read two articles in recent weeks from mainstream publications where women in the industry find that the stigma attached curtails future endeavors and one where simple immature selfies that got on the internet haunted professionals and professional advancement.

I sure wouldn't want everything I experimented with in College to be part of the public record but times to change.
She did exclusively use her 'stage' name. It would be interesting, however, if Electra Rayne started applying for linguistics Ph.D fellowships.

Perhaps she could study the evolution of the word 'camming'.

Reactions: Fitz51
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT