ADVERTISEMENT

OT: DIII Football Championship

I could see North Central's coach Thorne moving up in the coaching world. Leipold from Whitewater has done great things at Buffalo.

Reactions: NU Houston
34 - 7 in 3rd quarter. I don't think the missed XP on the first TD will come into play in this game.

North Central's QB is fun to watch.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
Happy for Jeff, and especially John Thorne, my high school biology teacher a lifetime ago. Back when John first took the reins at North Central I thought he'd be a great assistant at NU or similar but I think he's very happy with how things turned out.

Happy for Jeff, and especially John Thorne, my high school biology teacher a lifetime ago. Back when John first took the reins at North Central I thought he'd be a great assistant at NU or similar but I think he's very happy with how things turned out.

John was my dad's HS biology teacher as well. What year did you graduate?

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Seeing occasional glimpses of near empty stands. Play the game at one of the schools. Most DIII teams are in the midwest not Texas.
IIRC, it's always been held at a neutral site (at least in recent years) and was moved from Virginia to Texas last year.

The stands did look empty, but there were some families from our kids' school in attendance, at least from what I saw on Facebook. It was also written up and promoted in the local paper, so they at least tried to get the word out. The crummy weather (by southeast Texas standards) probably didn't help attendance.

My Brother-in-law in Houston agrees that the weather is pretty nasty for the area. That being said, other than Mary Hardin Baylor, most of the teams are from the midwest and Salem Va. was a better spot for a neutral field Championship. Though the stadium looked nice and the area is a good one, most games played in Virginia had excellent attendance. Even though this game couldn'y have been predicted, a midwest venue would have been full!!! Congrats to North Central. Heck of a team. So happy for the kids!!!

Reactions: NU Houston
IIRC, it's always been held at a neutral site (at least in recent years) and was moved from Virginia to Texas last year.

The stands did look empty, but there were some families from our kids' school in attendance, at least from what I saw on Facebook. It was also written up and promoted in the local paper, so they at least tried to get the word out. The crummy weather (by southeast Texas standards) probably didn't help attendance.
We were informed a couple of days ago that our Financial Advisor's brother-in -law was an assistant coach for the Cardinals. His whole family was down there to cheer them on. CONGRADULATIONS!

My Brother-in-law in Houston agrees that the weather is pretty nasty for the area. That being said, other than Mary Hardin Baylor, most of the teams are from the midwest and Salem Va. was a better spot for a neutral field Championship. Though the stadium looked nice and the area is a good one, most games played in Virginia had excellent attendance. Even though this game couldn'y have been predicted, a midwest venue would have been full!!! Congrats to North Central. Heck of a team. So happy for the kids!!!
Can't argue with you on this. The local chamber of commerce has promoted the game as a boon for the economy (hotels, restaurant revenue, etc.), but as you noted, there were plenty of empty seats in the stands. I assume they paid something for the right to host the game. It did seem strange seeing two small schools located 100 miles from each other playing a game at a stadium 1000 miles away.

North Central looked great. Congrats to them for winning the championship. Illinois' Championship Team!

Reactions: nu greek

Geez Smithee. I didn’t know they had started to teach biology when you were in HS.

1981. My understanding is that he really was a chemistry teacher, but had to teach biology early in his time at WCHS. I wouldn't have known that, as he was a good bio teacher.

Funny you say that. When I read your post, I thought to myself, "could have sworn my dad said "chemistry" teacher, not biology"

My dad was 1978 from Central. I was 2007 from WWS. The Thorne's are really good people and yeah, I think Jeff starts to move up the ranks and quickly, similar to Tim Lester at WMU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT