ADVERTISEMENT

OT, I’d think: Holocek retires from Loyola

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
As reported by WGN’s Mike Lowe, Northwestern and Loyola grad.

I presume this is retires-retires, and not “gets paid to coach in Evanston” retires.

SEASON-ENDING STUNNER: HOLECEK RETIRES

John Holecek, the living legend and incomparable head coach of the Loyola Academy football team, made official what Ramblers fans had long feared -- he retired Wednesday after 17 seasons, leaving behind three championship banners, numerous milestones and countless glorious memories.

The stunning announcement came at Monday night’s season ending team banquet, just eight days after the Ramblers secured the fourth IHSA title in the program’s storied history.

Holecek, 50, a former NFL standout and an all-Big Ten linebacker at Illinois, had long said he planned to end his career once all of his three sons had graduated from Loyola.

“I’ll always be a Rambler,” he said.

Holecek ended his tenure with 185 wins, the most in Loyola history. He surpassed beloved coach John Hoerster’s mark of 133 in 2017.

During a platinum career, Holecek’s teams advanced to the state finals seven times (including four straight seasons from 2015-2018). Under his leadership the Ramblers advanced to the IHSA Final Four ten times. He won 9 CCL championships, and guided Loyola to 17 consecutive playoff appearances. He is the only Loyola coach with a winning record against arch rival Mt. Carmel.

Holecek’s final team finished 13-1, defeating Lincoln-Way East in the IHSA class 8A title game behind the stellar leadership of quarterback Jake Stearney, a two year starter who plans to play collegiate football at Colgate next year.

“It’s very sad to see him leave as head coach for Loyola,” Stearney said. “Coach Holecek is known nationwide for his career in the NFL and as the coach of the best team in the state of Illinois. He’s changed the program, and he’s created a culture that will be carried on for many years to come. My teammates and I are very honored to be his last class and something about this year felt very special. Great group of coaches and players that created a special season.”

There was no immediate word on a possible replacement.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News