ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Illinois Coach Bellamy Suspended 1 Game

NJCat83588

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
For trying to arrange for a degree for a JUCO transfer who never finished his studies. Will miss the Kent State game. Probably not a big deal, but one has to wonder what goes on in the JUCO world........

NJ, I've noted before that the last time Illinois went heavy in the JC route, under Mike White they got a heavy dose of probation. This may just be the tip of the iceberg because bringing 7 or more JC's every year is asking for problems. Hasn't Bellamy been in the NCAA doghouse before?

Does anyone know more detail about? Why would an associate's degree be a prerequisite to get into U of I? Couldn't the kid have just transferred with 50 or 60 credits but not earned JC degree?

I'm thinking he didn't have a high enough GPA. just a guess. I don't know what Bellamy did, perhaps merely poked around and name dropped to see if a grade could be changed maybe more aggressive.

A jc player arrived at Illinois last year and it was determined by admissions that he was one class short. Bellamy arranged for him to take a placement test to meet the requirement. The player took and passed the test and the jc accepted it for grad requirement. Illinois compliance then contacted the NCAA to see if a rule had been broken. The NCAA determined that Bellamy making the arrangements was an extra benefit since the player was not yet accepted into the university. It was self-reported. This took place in January of 2014, over a year ago. Last years recruiting class. The NCAA determined that Bellamy must sit out one game. It was a mistake but not some major infraction designed to mislead or get the player to commit. He was already at Illinois. Bellamy was new, also. Rookie mistake and he was punished.

This post was edited on 2/6 12:07 PM by combes

This post was edited on 2/6 12:15 PM by combes

Originally posted by NU 71 72 74:

He should have been fired !
SHHHHHH!!!! Don't say things like that. We want Illinois's coaching staff there for as long as possible... except for maybe Bill Cubit. Hopefully, he moves on.

Thanks for the explanation. A one game suspension seems more than enough. Glad that the kid got in and will play.

Originally posted by combes:
A jc player arrived at Illinois last year and it was determined by admissions that he was one class short. Bellamy arranged for him to take a placement test to meet the requirement. The player took and passed the test and the jc accepted it for grad requirement. Illinois compliance then contacted the NCAA to see if a rule had been broken. The NCAA determined that Bellamy making the arrangements was an extra benefit since the player was not yet accepted into the university. It was self-reported. This took place in January of 2014, over a year ago. Last years recruiting class. The NCAA determined that Bellamy must sit out one game. It was a mistake but not some major infraction designed to mislead or get the player to commit. He was already at Illinois. Bellamy was new, also. Rookie mistake and he was punished.

This post was edited on 2/6 12:07 PM by combes

This post was edited on 2/6 12:15 PM by combes
The dirty rat! They should have fined him $1.00!

North Carolina engaged in wholesale academic cheating for years, and still no sign of punishment from the august NCAA. Hard to get excited about what looks like a relatively minor violation by the Illini.

There's some rule that requires anyone that has taken classes at a JUCO to have their associates degree prior to transferring to D1. I transferred from another D1, but took classes at Oakton CC over the summer to knock out some prerequisites. Because I took those classes it was required that I earn my associates prior to transferring. It had nothing to do with GPA.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT