ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kopp

They lost.
alanis-morissette-and-isnt-it-ironic-dont-you-think.gif

other than the fact that Kopp had 0.8 seconds to shoot from his side of the floor and there was a guy defending him, you're right.

Kopp did almost the identical thing that Boo did as the clock ran out. Dropped the inbounds pass that lost the game.
Humbly, that's just a really dumb take that I know you can't mean. Neither Boo nor Kopp "lost the game" on that one play. I know this is obvious, but the games are lost in hundreds of small plays by players all across the roster throughout the game. Both those guys are part of that, but neither team is in position to even attempt to win without them.

Kopp shot lights out, played complimentary, mostly mistake free ball. Nothing flashy. Not expected to make a critical rebound or offensive move. Defense was adequate. Stole a few balls. Indiana has two playmakers in the center that Kopp helps set up and then finds a spot for a kick out pass and shot. Smart use of his skills. He was on tonight. Not always the case.

These threads are weird.

I hope we can spend more time on Julian Roper updates in the future.

I hope Kopp makes the NBA and finishes second to Pete Nance in the MVP race every year. Or maybe 3rd, behind Greer.
Until Nicholson arrives.

I started the thread because I was watching the Indiana game last night and saw how much he was playing and how quietly he was making a big contribution. I have never been a fan as I perceived he frequently played with an attitude while at NU. I rarely follow an individual player but paid attention and saw how smartly the coach used Kopp's talents in a secondary role. Not a knock on Collins. Indiana has the better talents that I think force Kopp to accept his role.

Humbly, that's just a really dumb take that I know you can't mean. Neither Boo nor Kopp "lost the game" on that one play. I know this is obvious, but the games are lost in hundreds of small plays by players all across the roster throughout the game. Both those guys are part of that, but neither team is in position to even attempt to win without them.
I don’t mean they lost the game, but they had the chance with the ball in their hand and turned the ball over.

Reactions: hoosboot
I started the thread because I was watching the Indiana game last night and saw how much he was playing and how quietly he was making a big contribution. I have never been a fan as I perceived he frequently played with an attitude while at NU. I rarely follow an individual player but paid attention and saw how smartly the coach used Kopp's talents in a secondary role. Not a knock on Collins. Indiana has the better talents that I think force Kopp to accept his role.
According to coral "good riddance". Then again, this board throws all players under the bus as "issues" when they run far away from here.

Completely different today. 0 points on 0-5 shooting with 4 to go against UNL
Well they won. Wonder if Miller is sulking...
I hope, for his sake, that he is more happy with the win than upset about his 0-fer.

This is where a coach with a steady hand is helpful.

syracuse played only zone. Since Kopp is mainly a spot up shooter that worked to his advantage. He struggles more on man to man.

Tamar Bates, who used to play with Ty Berry, had a nice game. Shame we didn't get him ...

Woodson’s hand is definitely known to be steadier than Collins’….

More facts, I see…

You seem to read generic statements and make wild assumptions, then comment on those wild assumptions.
Where did I say anything about either coach?

My statement is that sometimes players know they played poorly and are worried that they may lose playing time, even if their team won the game.

Ideally you don't want your players doing that - good coaches make it clear to their players that winning is more important than how each individual plays - that they have the player's back.

You read a generic statement and associated it negatively with Collins. Not my problem.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Taken as one post in isolation, I can agree. Taken as another post among the (so) many you have posted that are critical of Collins (based on stats taken at absolute face value and assuming full credibility), I don’t think it’s a generic statement, and it certainly is not a wild conclusion on my part.

Taken as one post in isolation, I can agree. Taken as another post among the (so) many you have posted that are critical of Collins (based on stats taken at absolute face value and assuming full credibility), I don’t think it’s a generic statement, and it certainly is not a wild conclusion on my part.
So you are assuming that everything I post is meant to insult Chris Collins?
Interesting! Ultra-defensive of a person you presumably don't know.

As for the statistics, I understand that you put more faith in biased human assessments than you do in the actual measurable results... baseball used to be that way too, until the guys with the numerical assessments just kept beating the tar out of the guys who relied on opinion and reputation.

My point (again) is that you put too much faith in just the numbers. If I did that in my job (as an actuary), I’d be out on the street.
You are the first "actuary" I've ever heard of who disputes the clear value of "+/-" numbers.
The Box Score Plus Minus stat was developed specifically because people who believe in the value of statistics didn't have access to detailed play by play results. It is a cheap proxy for something that is obviously far preferable.

Given that we have access to the actual play by play, we have a means of capturing ALL of the intangibles that go into basketball, even if we can't identify them specifically.

The data - the scores - tell you more about the players performances in a team game than any other stat.

I have a difficult time taking anyone who thinks otherwise seriously. This isn't bowling. It isn't baseball, where each batter acts on his own. It isn't golf. It isn't a free throw competition or a game of one on one. Its more like hockey, where players do all kinds of little things to try to score and defend and the "+/-" is a valued stat.

You seem to read generic statements and make wild assumptions, then comment on those wild assumptions.
Where did I say anything about either coach?

My statement is that sometimes players know they played poorly and are worried that they may lose playing time, even if their team won the game.

Ideally you don't want your players doing that - good coaches make it clear to their players that winning is more important than how each individual plays - that they have the player's back.

You read a generic statement and associated it negatively with Collins. Not my problem.
Bullshit. The discussion was about Kopp going 0-Fer but still winning. Then you interject a Coaching comment. Like you always do. Apparently, your dislike for CCC is so strong you don’t even realize you are doing it. At least man up and admit you don’t think CCC is a good Coach or basically don’t like anything at all that he does. Once you come clean, you won’t need to drag every thread down your path that leads to the exact end game. Absolutely ridiculous you don’t even understand what you do in almost every comment.

Getting ready for you to proclaim innocence, call others apologists, and get your +/~ argument interjected over and over. Passive aggressive behavior at its finest. Can’t wait for tomorrow’s game comments, but I am convinced I can already write them for you right now. I’m outta here!

In what world is presenting statistics that others don't have access to considered "passive aggressive?"

Regarding Collins, I have stated many times, with absolute clarity, that I think Chris Collins is a subpar strategist and "in-game" coach. I don't think he is good at it. I don't think he is average at it. I think he is below average at best.

But you have lost all objectivity. I make a comment about Miller Kopp and a general comment about how a coach can help a guy who has had a bad game and you freak out, just like Gordie, thinking I am ripping Collins. This is more a reflection of your inner voices than anything I said.

It is bizarre, really really bizarre.

In what world is presenting statistics that others don't have access to considered "passive aggressive?"

Regarding Collins, I have stated many times, with absolute clarity, that I think Chris Collins is a subpar strategist and "in-game" coach. I don't think he is good at it. I don't think he is average at it. I think he is below average at best.

But you have lost all objectivity. I make a comment about Miller Kopp and a general comment about how a coach can help a guy who has had a bad game and you freak out, just like Gordie, thinking I am ripping Collins. This is more a reflection of your inner voices than anything I said.

It is bizarre, really really bizarre.
Dinsdale!

syracuse played only zone. Since Kopp is mainly a spot up shooter that worked to his advantage. He struggles more on man to man.

Tamar Bates, who used to play with Ty Berry, had a nice game. Shame we didn't get him ...
Tamar Bates is going to be a stud. He's long and athletic yet highly skilled for a first year perimeter player. Has the highest ceiling on IU's team (even over TJD), IMO.

As for the statistics, I understand that you put more faith in biased human assessments than you do in the actual measurable results... baseball used to be that way too, until the guys with the numerical assessments just kept beating the tar out of the guys who relied on opinion and reputation.
The "numbers" you put out gives no indication of who they are playing and matching up against or other details. By themselves they can be interesting but not of much use

Pretty much that is what you have shown

The "numbers" you put out gives no indication of who they are playing and matching up against or other details. By themselves they can be interesting but not of much use
Right - I can't go thru the entire NCAA's boxscores play-by-play and rate every player in college basketball. Thats what would be required. A phenomenal amount of work.
What the "+/-" captures is ALL of the intangibles, regardless of whether they can be easily identified.
Good players help their team score and help prevent the opponent from scoring.

You should compare the +/- to the alternatives
1. Everybody watching the game and expressing their opinion.
2. Looking at the box scores and trying to imagine who made us win or lose, based on a handful of measured categories.

Right - I can't go thru the entire NCAA's boxscores play-by-play and rate every player in college basketball. Thats what would be required. A phenomenal amount of work.
What the "+/-" captures is ALL of the intangibles, regardless of whether they can be easily identified.
Good players help their team score and help prevent the opponent from scoring.

You should compare the +/- to the alternatives
1. Everybody watching the game and expressing their opinion.
2. Looking at the box scores and trying to imagine who made us win or lose, based on a handful of measured categories.
PWB keep up the good work. I don't always agree with your conclusions but your numbers give really good food for thought.

It’s just basic principles of statistics. Regardless or opponents being factored in or not, a few data points mean nothing. A fair amount can’t be be ignored. To believe it can is to believe a player is just very lucky or very unlucky when he’s on the floor.

Statistics exist because human instincts suck. In other words that’s what the professors at Kellogg preach.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT