ADVERTISEMENT

OT-NU's Return To Campus

its_the_sauce

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
My daughter just got the e-mail. Everyone gets a single. NU will be renting out rooms in Evanston hotels to cover the room requirements.

Not sure I see risk in doubles. In fact it could be safer as there might be less socializing if people had a roommate they could hang with.

Classes are still going to be offered in person so part of me doesn't see the point.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
My daughter just got the e-mail. Everyone gets a single. NU will be renting out rooms in Evanston hotels to cover the room requirements.

Not sure I see risk in doubles. In fact it could be safer as there might be less socializing if people had a roommate they could hang with.

Classes are still going to be offered in person so part of me doesn't see the point.
How are they going to handle the cafeterias? Are students expected to eat in solidarity?

I haven’t rented a hotel in Evanston in a while. Are there even enough hotels in walking distance to campus to accommodate all of the students?

Agreed that’s ridiculous.

How are they going to handle the cafeterias? Are students expected to eat in solidarity?

I haven’t rented a hotel in Evanston in a while. Are there even enough hotels in walking distance to campus to accommodate all of the students?
Carry-out only!

The Daily Northwestern has had several articles out that touch on some of the above comments. For example, roommates are allowed if desired, but students will only be charged the double rate for single occupancy. Food will be picked up in cafeterias with an emphasis on "to go." (Expect the campus rat and raccoon population to increase with all the food trash in the residences.)

An earlier article suggested many classes will be offered without professors present even with students on campus. It was implied that older and at risk professors will be teaching virtually, even if not on line. Anyway, here is a link to the most recent article focusing on housing:

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2020/...pus-housing-wildcat-welcome-to-be-reimagined/

And here is a link to the earlier article:

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2020/...return-to-campus-for-a-modified-fall-quarter/

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Kids are still going to have off campus parties and potentially spread the virus that way. They're going to grind with each other, make out, drink from the same solo cups. Kids that age feel invincible and will continue to do what comes naturallly.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
Kids are still going to have off campus parties and potentially spread the virus that way. They're going to grind with each other, make out, drink from the same solo cups. Kids that age feel invincible and will what comes naturallly.
Agreed. There’s no way kids are going to avoid getting together socially especially if in person activities are limited on campus. Maybe the reason for all singles is that if a student contracts COVID then they can quarantine in their room without displacing a roommate or being displaced.

Agreed. There’s no way kids are going to avoid getting together socially especially if in person activities are limited on campus. Maybe the reason for all singles is that if a student contracts COVID then they can quarantine in their room without displacing a roommate or being displaced.

Probably, though bathrooms in the dorms are probably communal anyway.

Would guess they have more than a few extra hotel rooms booked for quarantine if/as needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT