ADVERTISEMENT

OT: OU QB Kyler Murray Wins Heisman

Good choice. All
Good choice. All 3 Finalists were deserving.

It's amazing to think that OU had a back-up QB to a Heisman winner who would win a Heisman the following year. Might be the only time in history that the back-up was in fact better than the starter.

Have there ever been different back-to-back Heisman winners at the same school at the same position?

Good choice. All

Good choice. All 3 Finalists were deserving.

It's amazing to think that OU had a back-up QB to a Heisman winner who would win a Heisman the following year. Might be the only time in history that the back-up was in fact better than the starter.

Have there ever been different back-to-back Heisman winners at the same school at the same position?

Murray replaced another Heisman winner his freshman year at Texas A&M.

It really was a shame he didnt play more than he did. Very fun player to watch.

There's a good chance he won't play football next year, but baseball. Crazy talent.
He’s already agreed to a nearly $5 million bonus with the Oakland A’s, which allowed him to play football this year and become a full-time professional baseball player in the spring.

You could argue his financial upside is higher in football, but his chances of walking when he’s 40 are far higher with baseball.

Murray replaced another Heisman winner his freshman year at Texas A&M.

It really was a shame he didnt play more than he did. Very fun player to watch.
You are out by a year. Manziel left Texas A&M following the 2013 season, in 2014 Kenny "Trill" Hill started for the Aggies. In 2015, freshman Murray was back up to Kyle Allen until late October. Both Allen and Murray left A&M that December. Murray was effectively traded to Oklahoma for Hotshot Trevor Knight.

He’s already agreed to a nearly $5 million bonus with the Oakland A’s, which allowed him to play football this year and become a full-time professional baseball player in the spring.

You could argue his financial upside is higher in football, but his chances of walking when he’s 40 are far higher with baseball.

Don't think that's necessarily true. If he makes it even to the end of his arbitration years, much less into free agency, the money in baseball gets huge. No salary cap and cash is guaranteed.

Don't think that's necessarily true. If he makes it even to the end of his arbitration years, much less into free agency, the money in baseball gets huge. No salary cap and cash is guaranteed.
There’s no guarantee that he’ll ever make the $5M he’s already banked as an NFL player. (I’m assuming he’s not a first round pick due to his size.)

As a top ten pick - even one who’s not actually played much baseball since high school - he’s got a very good chance of making the bigs. And as a ninth overall pick , he’s got a very good chance of

NFL QB upside is huge. But MLB all star upside is huger. (Josh Donaldson just signed for $20 million, and he is totally not at all healthy. That’s basically Kirk Cousins money.)

NFL - with a terrible players union and no career longevity - is definitely a worse choice than MLB for someone with such an option.

There’s no guarantee that he’ll ever make the $5M he’s already banked as an NFL player. (I’m assuming he’s not a first round pick due to his size.)

As a top ten pick - even one who’s not actually played much baseball since high school - he’s got a very good chance of making the bigs. And as a ninth overall pick , he’s got a very good chance of

NFL QB upside is huge. But MLB all star upside is huger. (Josh Donaldson just signed for $20 million, and he is totally not at all healthy. That’s basically Kirk Cousins money.)

NFL - with a terrible players union and no career longevity - is definitely a worse choice than MLB for someone with such an option.

Well, yeah, it all comes down to whether he can hack it at the top level of whichever sport. But if I had the choice, putting everything together, baseball is the easy decision from both a health and a financial standpoint. Murray says he wants to play both, so we'll see how that goes.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Nothing but best wishes for Kyler Murray but, now that I’ve been around the block more than a few times, I would not trade a Northwestern (or comparable) education for a Heisman Trophy.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, it all comes down to whether he can hack it at the top level of whichever sport. But if I had the choice, putting everything together, baseball is the easy decision from both a health and a financial standpoint. Murray says he wants to play both, so we'll see how that goes.
I would agree.
The key points would be the potential career longevity as well as the guaranteed money.
Not to mention his future health.

With him solidly projected as a first-round pick in a weak year for QBs, Kyler Murray has declared himself eligible for the NFL draft.

For comparison, Lamar Jackson got $9 million in guarantees as the last pick of the first round, including a $5 million bonus, which makes this likely to be a smarter short-term play.

If Murray becomes a star, he’s in line for huge money starting in ~2022. If not, he’ll still have banked ~$9+ million by then.

I know nothing about the draft, but I’m guessing #15 to Washington.

With him solidly projected as a first-round pick in a weak year for QBs, Kyler Murray has declared himself eligible for the NFL draft.

For comparison, Lamar Jackson got $9 million in guarantees as the last pick of the first round, including a $5 million bonus, which makes this likely to be a smarter short-term play.

If Murray becomes a star, he’s in line for huge money starting in ~2022. If not, he’ll still have banked ~$9+ million by then.

All things equal, stars make more money in MLB than they do in the NFL. (There's never been anything close to the Giancarlo Stanton deal in the NFL, and Bryce Harper is likely about to match or break that one any day now.) Contracts are also guaranteed - how has the NFLPA not fixed this yet? - and your brains are less likely to turn to oatmeal. That said, it's a delayed gratification, as he'd be looking at at least a couple of years in the minors and three years each of club control and arbitration before reaching free agency, whereas in the NFL he's gonna get a big paycheck right away. Arby pays pretty well in MLB these days too, though.

If it were me, I'd go baseball, but take advantage of youth and good health while you have it, I suppose. And avoiding the Coliseum is a decent bonus.

It's tough to think long term when you're 20 and have the world at your feet. But Murray is all of 5-10 or less, weighs less than 200 lbs, and playing in the NFL with its physical punishment is hazardous to your health. Baseball seems the much better option for this young man.

You can walk after a career in BB. Less likely after a career in FB. If he liked both, BB would be the better choice

Nothing but best wishes for Kyler Murray but, now that I’ve been around the block more than a few times, I would not trade a Northwestern (or comparable) education for a Heisman Trophy.
I doubt you would ever have the choice

Does sound like he wants to see if he ends up a first round pick but curious if all the distraction about him potentially bailing for baseball in a few years is going to have the unintended consequence of GMs skipping over him to actually keep him out of the first round?

Assuming he slips to a lower round can he just say ,”Thanks, but no thanks” and then go play baseball?

Does sound like he wants to see if he ends up a first round pick but curious if all the distraction about him potentially bailing for baseball in a few years is going to have the unintended consequence of GMs skipping over him to actually keep him out of the first round?

Assuming he slips to a lower round can he just say ,”Thanks, but no thanks” and then go play baseball?
The only thing that will keep him out of the first round is his height, or lack thereof. At best he is 5'10" and that is a big (pun intended) issue in the NFL.

That brings back memories of a friend of mine at the time, Rick Reichardt, who coincidentally played football with Matt Rice's dad at Wisconsin on their 1963 Rose Bowl team, and was THE first baseball "bonus baby" when he signed with the California Angels in 1964 for $200,000.

Look what happened to Bo Jackson after he decided he wanted to play football, too.

I agree that Baseball is probably the better choice for monetary and health considerations but there is no doubt this kid will be a star player in the NFL if he chooses football. Anybody who questions his ability to succeed need only look to Russell Wilson who is 5”10 at best. Murray is a better version of Wilson.

Easy choice Baseball.

Not as easy as one may think.

There's no guarantee that KM would ever make it out of the minor leagues (and there's at least a couple of years of taking bus rides and staying at motels) and even if KM did make it to MLB, there's years where the club has a tight control over salary.

For instance, Bryce Harper made $3 million or less in his first 5 seasons in the MLB.

Harper is going to sign a huge contract this off-season, but there's no guarantee that KM will be even an average major leaguer, much less a star (he projects better as a QB).

Rosen signed a contract w/ the Cards which guaranteed $17.6 million.

Darnold got a $30.2 million guaranteed contract w/ the Jets.

Yes, there's the greater likelihood of longevity and less risk of career-ending injury going the baseball route, but the greater $$ (at least at the start) is w/ the NFL.

I think being a QB complicates the decision as good QB’s typically have a longer career than other positions.

Murray signed in baseball for 4.6M signing bonus. Not chump change and fully guaranteed. His earnings power would be surpressed by the MLB until he could be a free agent. See Kris Bryant. However, once he hit that status his income would likely explode. Would he make it to the big leagues? The odds are overwhelming that he would. EVERY college player drafted in the top 10 for the last 22 years has made the majors. More importantly, approximately 50% have been MLB all stars.

You omitted the fact that Harper received a $9.9M signing bonus when calculating his first 5 years earnings. Harper is said to be looking for a contract paying $30M a season for as long as 10 years. MLB contracts are fully guaranteed. The highest NFL contract ever is Andrew Luck’s $140M, 6 year deal. $87M guaranteed. Luck’s NFL entry contract was for $22M for 4 years. Baker Mayfield signed for $32M for 4 years as last years number one pick. So, I believe Murray would make more in the short term in the NFL and more in MLB in the long term. This would assume he would have comparable success in both sports. No one can predict that with certainty.

Deion and Bo both spoke out that they would chose baseball and not look back if they had to do it all over again. Part of that is driven by the long term health effects caused by Football. I am with them on that.

Granted, KM has a pretty decent chance of making it to the Bigs, but it's definitely a ? if he'll be a star, much less a mega-star.

KM batted .296 for the Sooners - which is low for someone projected to be a star hitter, much less a mega-star.

My figure for Harper includes his signing bonus (split over 4 seasons).

Harper got a contract for $9.9 mil over 5 yrs of which $6.25 mil was the signing bonus.

His actual salary was $500k for his 1st 2 seasons, then $750k and $900k.

Harper didn't start making big $$ until his 7th year in the Bigs when he was salary arbitration eligible (where he saw his salary jump up to $13.6 mil).

Mahomes got about $16.5k mil guaranteeed for his rookie contract and the indication is that his next contract will break the $200 million barrier.

There aren't that many baseball players who can command that type of contract, esp. as the # of teams in MLB who can afford such contracts (such as the Yankees) aren't as willing to fork over that kind of dough to sign pricey free agents.

Mahomes will likely see north of $35-36 mil/yr on avg. w/ his contract after that possibly avg'ing $40 mil/yr as the NFL salary cap keeps increasing.

Only a handful of MLBers will see contracts in that realm, and considering Murray's batting avg. and power (10 HR's), he isn't projected to be that type of major leaguer.

On top of that, star NFL QBs are prone to make a lot more off endorsement deals than the top MLB stars.

Many sports fans don't know what Mike Trout or Harper look like.

Imagine what the endorsement potential would be for KM if the NY Giants drafted him.

Instead of comparing Kyler to Mahomes, a record- breaking one-in-a-generation player, wouldn't RGIII be a better comp? With his size and style of play, Kyler would be subject to a lot of pounding that could shorten his career.

^ Wasn't comparing KM to Mahomes; just showing the kind of $$ that players (well, QBs) can make in the NFL.

RGIII's teammate, Lamar Jackson is the better comp to RGIII.

Murray is more like (style of play) Russell Wilson or his predecessor at OU, Mayfield.

Now, there is no guarantee that Murray will end up having a career like RW, but he projects more as a franchise QB than a multiple MLB All-star.

Mahomes is simply blazing the trail for other (franchise) QBs to follow.

QBs like Ryan ($30 mil/yr avg.), Cousins ($28 mil/yr), Garappolo ($27.5 mil/yr), Stafford ($27 mil), Carr ($25 mil/ yr) - all kept breaking records for QB pay, which was surpassed by Rodgers ($33.5 mil.yr).

As the NFL salary cap keeps going up, top franchise QBs (and even not so top - what have Cousins, Garaopplo, Stafford, Carr won?) are going to command a certain % of a team's cap.

RW will be due for a big pay raise in 2020 (only making about $22 mil/yr under his current contract).

^ Wasn't comparing KM to Mahomes; just showing the kind of $$ that players (well, QBs) can make in the NFL.

RGIII's teammate, Lamar Jackson is the better comp to RGIII.

Murray is more like (style of play) Russell Wilson or his predecessor at OU, Mayfield.

Now, there is no guarantee that Murray will end up having a career like RW, but he projects more as a franchise QB than a multiple MLB All-star.

Mahomes is simply blazing the trail for other (franchise) QBs to follow.

QBs like Ryan ($30 mil/yr avg.), Cousins ($28 mil/yr), Garappolo ($27.5 mil/yr), Stafford ($27 mil), Carr ($25 mil/ yr) - all kept breaking records for QB pay, which was surpassed by Rodgers ($33.5 mil.yr).

As the NFL salary cap keeps going up, top franchise QBs (and even not so top - what have Cousins, Garaopplo, Stafford, Carr won?) are going to command a certain % of a team's cap.

RW will be due for a big pay raise in 2020 (only making about $22 mil/yr under his current contract).

No question that if he's in it for the money, he plays football.

If he could be an all star caliber player in MLB (not far fetched if he is the 10th pick in the entire draft) he would make more during his career in baseball. He probably be able to walk and think some at age 55 too.

Uh no. As the 10th pick of the draft, his odds of being an all-star are far lower than him getting paid in the NFL.

Uh no. As the 10th pick of the draft, his odds of being an all-star are far lower than him getting paid in the NFL.
It’s a moot issue since he is going to the NFL. As I stated earlier, the fact that he is a QB is the thing that makes this debatable. QB’s get paid and Murray will likely get $15-20M fully guaranteed 4 year contract. That is if he goes mid first round. Move him into the top 5 and he’ll get $10M more. It will be the last fully guaranteed deal he’ll get.

Facts are the average MLB salary exceeds the average NFL salary. The length of the average MLB career is longer than that of a NFL player. Football is the safer play to earn cash if you are a 1st round QB like Murray. His odds of being top end in The NFL are greater than top end in MLB. However, as I said, every single college player drafted in the top 10 has made it to the big leagues. Nowadays, they are getting there much quicker too. See Bryant and Schwarber has local examples. Depends on how Murray projects himself in the bigs. Almost certain he would project himself as a future all star. Does he project himself as being at least as good as Jason Heyward? If so, that is $22.5M a year fully guaranteed? Patrick Corbin just signed a 6 year $140M contract this off season with the Phillies. Very good player, but not a sure fire HOF by any means. Only 8 players in the NFL have a higher average annual salary than Jason Heyward. There are only 29 players in the history of the NFL who have made over $100M. Google just worked OT for me.

Bottom line is he is going to be wealthy either way. Football is more the sure thing and has less financial risk. If he was a perennial all star or close to it in baseball his career earnings would be higher. Risk/Reward.

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT