ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Remembering Tony Gwynn

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
It is a sad day in San Diego today with the passing of Tony Gwynn after his long battle with cancer. The first time I saw Tony perform was not on the baseball field but on the basketball court as point guard with the San Diego State Aztecs. He was good enough in basketball to be drafted by the Clippers in the NBA. I enjoyed watching him play outfield with the Padres over the decades. I was fortunate to have seen Tony inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown along with Cal Ripken Jr. a few years ago along with 75,000 other fans.

Tony was of course a great baseball player, not only at the plate but also won gold gloves for defense. "Mr. Padre" spent his entire professional career in San Diego. He was the head coach for the San Diego State Aztecs baseball team, the Aztecs baseball stadium that he was instrumental in building bears his name. Tony was embedded in the San Diego community which makes his passing such a loss. He was a Hall of Fame player but he was also a very decent man who gave back to his community and his sport. Thanks Tony. Rest in peace.

This post was edited on 6/17 1:42 AM by WestCoastWildcat

Tony Gwynn

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT