ADVERTISEMENT

Great day yesterday

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
Big tv sports day yesterday. I enjoyed watching our win against Jackson St and our strong 2nd half. Overlapping the NU game was my San Diego State Aztecs beating #13 Gonzaga at their house (something that almost never happens- I think the Zags have only lost one home game in recent years.) The Aztecs should be ranked after that win. They looked really strong in beating the Zags by 10 on the road.

Plus- a big bonus at the end of the day was the Ohio State loss of their bowl game against Missouri with an offense that resembled Iowa’s.

Big tv sports day yesterday. I enjoyed watching our win against Jackson St and our strong 2nd half. Overlapping the NU game was my San Diego State Aztecs beating #13 Gonzaga at their house (something that almost never happens- I think the Zags have only lost one home game in recent years.) The Aztecs should be ranked after that win. They looked really strong in beating the Zags by 10 on the road.

Plus- a big bonus at the end of the day was the Ohio State loss of their bowl game against Missouri with an offense that resembled Iowa’s.
Iowa's O would have been an improvement

Can’t agree with that last part. I am never happy to see an SEC team beat a B1G team.

Can’t agree with that last part. I am never happy to see an SEC team beat a B1G team.
I guess I agree with that sentiment but OSU deserved to lose that game with their lackluster offense. What a waste of talented receivers and running backs. Just goes to show how important it is to have an experienced qb in the game. McCord’s transfer to Syracuse seems intended to have been directed at Ryan Day. With the bowl loss and 3 straight losses to Michigan Day must be on the hot seat.

Penn State’s loss to Ole Miss is another game I can’t say I minded seeing a BigTen team lose. I’m not a fan of Franklin and Ole Miss was physically dominant in that game.

I guess I agree with that sentiment but OSU deserved to lose that game with their lackluster offense. What a waste of talented receivers and running backs. Just goes to show how important it is to have an experienced qb in the game. McCord’s transfer to Syracuse seems intended to have been directed at Ryan Day. With the bowl loss and 3 straight losses to Michigan Day must be on the hot seat.

Penn State’s loss to Ole Miss is another game I can’t say I minded seeing a BigTen team lose. I’m not a fan of Franklin and Ole Miss was physically dominant in that game.
Penn State losing is always a good thing.

Seems to me you can't tell how the bowl games are going to go unless you have a roster list of the starters who have decided not to play because NFL dreams. Once you realize just how many scrubs are starting, the bowl game results make a lot more sense.

Sad.

• Angry
Reactions: drewjin
The last time I rooted against the Big Ten in the bowls was actually 40 years ago. As a boy, I enjoyed watching Illinois get obliterated by an average UCLA team something like 45-9. In the aftermath of the game, I came to realize the damage a bad performance by the league's best teams could do to the conference reputation. So, I've found myself rooting hard for Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, or Iowa or Purdue or Wisconsin or whoever else over the years.

Unfortunately, I can't stand to see Michigan continue benefiting from cheating, so I'm rooting against them today. It is not just the cheating, but the salt-in-the-wound double talk by the school and its fandom regarding the cheating as they conflate the issue by comparing the specifically prohibited in-person scouting of upcoming opponents and the video recording of opposing coaches to the gamesmanship of trying to figure out what your opponent is doing through accepted means.

Besides, if history is any guide, Michigan are likely going to have to end up vacating some wins and championships. The NCAA allowed an Ohio State team under investigation in 2010 for tattoo-gate being allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl only for their Sugar Bowl win and conference co-championship to be vacated after the investigation was complete in 2011. Five players selling their awards for tattoos seems more innocuous than the extensive illegal sign-stealing operation Michigan was benefiting from for almost 3 years. Then again, what was that saying that former UNLV basketball coach had about NCAA enforcement?... "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it's going to give Cleveland State two more years probation."

The last time I rooted against the Big Ten in the bowls was actually 40 years ago. As a boy, I enjoyed watching Illinois get obliterated by an average UCLA team something like 45-9. In the aftermath of the game, I came to realize the damage a bad performance by the league's best teams could do to the conference reputation. So, I've found myself rooting hard for Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, or Iowa or Purdue or Wisconsin or whoever else over the years.

Unfortunately, I can't stand to see Michigan continue benefiting from cheating, so I'm rooting against them today. It is not just the cheating, but the salt-in-the-wound double talk by the school and its fandom regarding the cheating as they conflate the issue by comparing the specifically prohibited in-person scouting of upcoming opponents and the video recording of opposing coaches to the gamesmanship of trying to figure out what your opponent is doing through accepted means.

Besides, if history is any guide, Michigan are likely going to have to end up vacating some wins and championships. The NCAA allowed an Ohio State team under investigation in 2010 for tattoo-gate being allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl only for their Sugar Bowl win and conference co-championship to be vacated after the investigation was complete in 2011. Five players selling their awards for tattoos seems more innocuous than the extensive illegal sign-stealing operation Michigan was benefiting from for almost 3 years. Then again, what was that saying that former UNLV basketball coach had about NCAA enforcement?... "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it's going to give Cleveland State two more years probation."
You are from Ohio and you rooted for Michigan when they weren’t caught cheating?

You are from Ohio and you rooted for Michigan when they weren’t caught cheating?
Well, Ohiovalley could refer to anywhere along the Ohio River from western Pennsyvania to the confluence with the Mississippi, but yes I am from Ohio.

I did root for Michigan and other Big Ten teams in out-of-conference games so the conference didn't look like it was the MAC against the SEC and other major conferences. In particular, when I came to realize how the PAC 10 was dominating the Big Ten in the Rose Bowl from the 70s and 80s similar to how the NFC dominated the AFC in the Super Bowls in the 80s and 90s.

Not everybody hated Michigan. Growing up in Ohio, most everybody was Ohio State but the Pareto rule was in effect so there was the 20% for others. Aside from Michigan, there seemed to be a decent number of USC, UCLA, Florida State, and Miami fans for football. In basketball, the non-Ohio State alternatives again included Michigan, but then Georgetown and North Carolina also decent pockets of support.

Back to today, it's looking bad for the Big Ten with Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State, and Ohio State all losing bowls to SEC teams. I know Michigan losing is would to add to the fire of the Big "Bad" Big Ten. I guess I'll pull for incoming member Washington.

Well, Ohiovalley could refer to anywhere along the Ohio River from western Pennsyvania to the confluence with the Mississippi, but yes I am from Ohio.

I did root for Michigan and other Big Ten teams in out-of-conference games so the conference didn't look like it was the MAC against the SEC and other major conferences. In particular, when I came to realize how the PAC 10 was dominating the Big Ten in the Rose Bowl from the 70s and 80s similar to how the NFC dominated the AFC in the Super Bowls in the 80s and 90s.

Not everybody hated Michigan. Growing up in Ohio, most everybody was Ohio State but the Pareto rule was in effect so there was the 20% for others. Aside from Michigan, there seemed to be a decent number of USC, UCLA, Florida State, and Miami fans for football. In basketball, the non-Ohio State alternatives again included Michigan, but then Georgetown and North Carolina also decent pockets of support.

Back to today, it's looking bad for the Big Ten with Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State, and Ohio State all losing bowls to SEC teams. I know Michigan losing is would to add to the fire of the Big "Bad" Big Ten. I guess I'll pull for incoming member Washington.
You are safe, Michigan won the game that mattered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT