ADVERTISEMENT

OT - RIP Bag your own Whopper

I was a regular at BK especially living at 614 Clark one year, and then in McManus during my Kellogg years. I wonder what happened to Sherman as a result.

Hard to see why BK would shut down. They must have had an incredible business. Great location and model for a college campus.

I was a regular at BK especially living at 614 Clark one year, and then in McManus during my Kellogg years. I wonder what happened to Sherman as a result.

Hard to see why BK would shut down. They must have had an incredible business. Great location and model for a college campus.

Thinking back I'm actually surprised how little I went there considering I lived in NU Apartments freshman year.

Reactions: Zootcat and rmndcat
It is amazing that something that unappealing operating for as long as it did, feeding unappealing food to unsuspecting college kids.
There were no other 24 hour options in walking distance when I was there. I doubt there are even now, although with Grubhub and whatnot there’s probably a lot more delivery available.

Reactions: rmndcat
When I lived on Noyes I would walk down the street into all the lobbies of the apartment buildings collecting the 99 cent whopper coupons that were dropped off ($1.24 w/ cheese). Always had to have a stash - couldn’t have kept the weight on with them (pizza helped too!)

There were two late night places we’d go to after drinking.

If we went to the Mark II Lounge then we’d go to IHOP. But if we went anywhere else it would be BK.

BK had Pepsi products back then. Can’t tell you how many large Pepsi’s I spilled on the floor.

Hard to stay in business with few students on campus.

If we went to the Mark II Lounge then we’d go to IHOP. But if we went anywhere else it would be BK.

BK had Pepsi products back then. Can’t tell you how many large Pepsi’s I spilled on the floor.
I’d drunk run home from the Mark 2 and stop at Burger King on the way back. It was another mile or so north from there. Those were the days!!!

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I don’t recall that they offered a drive through option. The fast food places in my area are booming with their drive through lines full as dining in restaurants suffer.

Ahhhh, many foggy but (I think) fond memories of 'the Deuce'. During my Kellogg days, though, we often exacerbated that poor judgement by trekking South for comfort food and abuse at The Weiner's Circle. Although the Evanston BK frequently factored in as the spontaneous, last minute (and usually regretted in the AM) call.

There was nothing open in downtown Evanston during my tenure. Gulliver's. The Coin and in the off season- sans letter jacket- Talbot's were the places frequented

I forgot the "Radar Room" in Sargent. The attendant read the Koran(Quran) religiously every night. I was intrigued by the dollar changing machine that would suck in your dollar and spit out quarters. I studied it and thought that there had to be a wire that came down on the dollar, pulling it into the machine. I took a brand new dollar and cut it in half , carefully loaded it into the tray and pushed it into the machine." JACK POT" !!! The machine started pumping out quarters, recycling every time the wire passed through the bill, I panicked and pulled out the tray and stopped the onslaught of coins-the attendant just continued reading. I used that dollar bill for a lot of pre-packaged
hamburgers. I hope the statute of limitations has run out

Last edited:
Another fast food staple closed in Dinkytown, the U of Minnesota’s campus neighborhood and my other alma mater. It was a weird, sunken 2 story McDonalds.

Another sunken McDonalds is at the Munich Airport. It used to also be unique in offering pastries, but now that is everywhere,

It is amazing that something that unappealing operating for as long as it did, feeding unappealing food to unsuspecting college kids.
Replaced by something equally unappealing, only bigger--a REAL WHOPPER. It's sad given Chicago's proud architectural history of well detailed, subtle, well thought out buildings that aspire to a higher ideal have given way to such smug lifelessness. Not unlike the Kellogg monstrosity on the Lakefill. It is pointless and embarrassing to do architecture this badly. I mean why even do it? Evanston and NU have some excellent examples of contemporary architecture. I refer in particular to the music building on the southern tip of the Lakefill. Whoever thought of that metaphor for a ship on Lake Michigan and carried it out that well is a genius. When it is foggy, such as much of Fall and Winter, the building from a distance is a mysterious presence, contrasted to the roundy lump of Kellogg that overwhelms everything around it. It is nearly unfathomable that the same University could produce such a contrast of beautiful vs. butt ugly. But perhaps that is a reflection of their respective purposes. Taj Fitz began in a very mediocre direction, but someone got under their skin about how it wasn't necessarily in NU's best interest to build a significant addition to the campus that appeared to have been designed by a first year architectural student from the 1960's.

Last edited:
Reactions: julescat
Replaced by something equally unappealing, only bigger--a REAL WHOPPER. It's sad given Chicago's proud architectural history of well detailed, subtle, well thought out buildings that aspire to a higher ideal have given way to such smug lifelessness. Not unlike the Kellogg monstrosity on the Lakefill. It is pointless and embarrassing to do this bad architecture. I mean why even do it? Evanston and NU have some excellent examples of contemporary architecture. I refer in particular to the music building on the southern tip of the Lakefill. Whoever thought of that metaphor for a ship on Lake Michigan and carried it out that well is a genius. When it is foggy, such as much of Fall and Winter, the building from a distance is a mysterious presence, contrasted to the roundy lump of Kellogg that overwhelms everything around it. It is nearly unfathomable that the same University could produce such a contrast of beautiful vs. butt ugly. But perhaps that is a reflection of their respective purposes. Taj Fitz began in a very mediocre direction, but someone got under their skin about how it wasn't necessarily in NU's best interest to build a significant addition to the campus that appeared to have been designed by a first year architectural student from the 1960's.

Maybe it is not too late to see if in its stead Evanston can get a replica of this structure (The IBM Building in Beijing just across from the Olympic Plaza with its iconic Birds Nest) on the past Burger King site.

IMG_5503_(3).jpg

OK, here is a view of The Birds Nest looking the other direction from the pedestrian overpass on which I was standing:

IMG_5495_(2).jpg

Lots of alcohol induced calories ingested there. Freshman year - Willard, no car, went there all the time. Soph year, Elder, had car, hardly ever went. Nevertheless, the place holds foggy, yet fond memories.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Olympic Ski Jumping venue - no joke, this is really it

FLCRbAYXoAIGHCw
Next to the Nuclear power plant? Perhaps they got the water for the snow from the reactor cooling pond? Members of the Chinese ski jumping team are Yu-90, Liu-131, Chen-60 and Yichenium. Or course the winner of the gold medal in the event was the Norwegian, Thorium.

FWIW, Alaska is now looking at some type of mini reactors to supply clean energy.

Solar panels really only work for us in the summer when we least need added energy to provide heat and air conditioning is not on any one's want list for the summer.

I suppose northern located Beijing may find nuclear energy to better satisfy their needs as well if China is really committed to lessening coal use.

Last edited:
Thinking back I'm actually surprised how little I went there considering I lived in NU Apartments freshman year.
I was in the NU apts. all four years undergrad, and was a "BK Lounge" regular. I'm not sure when you were there. Did they still throw open windows and do "the scream" during finals when you lived there?

I perfected Sanj' whistle and would watch the lobby of our fraternity fill in anticipation after the false alarm
It is interesting what constituted an acceptable sandwich back in the day. Every now and then, I get the urge to buy a loaf of white bread and a can of Spam. At the time I was at NU it seemed as though WWII, only 15 years prior, with Spam in its heyday, was long distant past. Now 15 years ago seems like yesterday. Have to give Sandji' kudos for advancing the art of the sandwich, to add such exotic things such as iceberg lettuce in the middle of winter in Illinois, and to combine cheese with ham. There certainly weren't whole grain breads widely available back then, but he may have sold sandwiches on rye. Although not Jewish rye, at NU. Ah, the memories.

Last edited:
It was before my time, but I certainly heard about it.

That BK was the site of my first-ever car accident. Ah, the memories…
I was there and didn't hear about it. Is it suitable for the Rivals public board?

Replaced by something equally unappealing, only bigger--a REAL WHOPPER. It's sad given Chicago's proud architectural history of well detailed, subtle, well thought out buildings that aspire to a higher ideal have given way to such smug lifelessness. Not unlike the Kellogg monstrosity on the Lakefill. It is pointless and embarrassing to do this bad architecture. I mean why even do it? Evanston and NU have some excellent examples of contemporary architecture. I refer in particular to the music building on the southern tip of the Lakefill. Whoever thought of that metaphor for a ship on Lake Michigan and carried it out that well is a genius. When it is foggy, such as much of Fall and Winter, the building from a distance is a mysterious presence, contrasted to the roundy lump of Kellogg that overwhelms everything around it. It is nearly unfathomable that the same University could produce such a contrast of beautiful vs. butt ugly. But perhaps that is a reflection of their respective purposes. Taj Fitz began in a very mediocre direction, but someone got under their skin about how it wasn't necessarily in NU's best interest to build a significant addition to the campus that appeared to have been designed by a first year architectural student from the 1960's.
The view of the skyline behind the performers at the new music school auditorium is spectacular.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
No one's mentioned the "Big Pickle" yet. This was during the "you must order food with liquor" years, so 10 of us would go there, order one pizza and pitchers of beer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT