ADVERTISEMENT

OT -Steve McMichael

its_the_sauce

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
  • Sad
Reactions: NUCat320
Northwestern has been doing leading research for years into causes of ALS, no therapies or treatments of yet.

In a previous life, I spent 3 months working on the ALS service at Houston's Methodist Hospital where I took care of a few dozen ALS patients. It is a slow, brutal way to die. Most patients with ALS are cognitively intact while their bodies shut down. You become paralyzed and unable to move. You stop being able to talk. You lose the ability to breathe on your own. You can't even swallow your own secretions. Unless you develop a concurrent dementia, your brain can think and you can ponder how terrible things are, but you can't tell anyone how you feel and your muscles don't work. It's like being a quadriplegic that can't talk or swallow. You're locked in the prison of your own body. It's the stuff nightmares and horror movies are made of.

In a previous life, I spent 3 months working on the ALS service at Houston's Methodist Hospital where I took care of a few dozen ALS patients. It is a slow, brutal way to die. Most patients with ALS are cognitively intact while their bodies shut down. You become paralyzed and unable to move. You stop being able to talk. You lose the ability to breathe on your own. You can't even swallow your own secretions. Unless you develop a concurrent dementia, your brain can think and you can ponder how terrible things are, but you can't tell anyone how you feel and your muscles don't work. It's like being a quadriplegic that can't talk or swallow. You're locked in the prison of your own body. It's the stuff nightmares and horror movies are made of.
My aunt died in February of complications from ALS. She was in her mid-60s and was a wonderful, caring, warm person. The symptoms began around three years ago and, of course, worsened towards the end. I can only hope that there will be continued advances in medical knowledge and treatments that will help others in the future.

I'd say something about ALS, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's and its possible causes but it will be deleted here.

Years ago there was a "cluster" of NFL players that developed ALS. The only link was that their practice/playing fields were treated with Milorganite-processed sewage from Milwaukee. I never saw any further information on this association so the link may not have been confirmed, as the product is still available

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I'd love to hear it!

Me too, Glades. My wife was diagnosed with (relatively mild but progressing) Parkinson's about 3 years ago, and for the time being I provide necessary assistance but as we're both in our 80s there's surely a limit on how long that can list. I'm interested in your thoughts, big man.

Effects of ALS as described here are terrifying. I've only seen one case (a neighbor) up close, and that was plenty for me. Can only imagine what FrancisSearle's hospital experience was like.

Sorry. It's rant board stuff and that's forbidden.

Google blue-green algae, BMAA, and neurodegenerative diseases.

In fact, this post is forbidden simply for mentioning the rant board.

Reactions: RhabdoWildcat
Sorry. It's rant board stuff and that's forbidden.

Google blue-green algae, BMAA, and neurodegenerative diseases.

In fact, this post is forbidden simply for mentioning the rant board.
per Wikipedia:

Chronic dietary exposure to BMAA is now considered to be a cause of the amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/parkinsonism–dementia complex (ALS/PDC) that had an extremely high rate of incidence among the Chamorro people of Guam. In the 1950s, ALS/PDC prevalence ratios and death rates for Chamorro residents of Guam and Rota were 50–100 times that of developed countries, including the United States.

Studies on human brain tissue of ALS/PDC, ALS, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, and neurological controls indicated that BMAA is present in non-genetic progressive neurodegenerative disease, but not in controls or genetic-based Huntington's disease

Last edited:
per Wikipedia:

Chronic dietary exposure to BMAA is now considered to be a cause of the amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/parkinsonism–dementia complex (ALS/PDC) that had an extremely high rate of incidence among the Chamorro people of Guam. In the 1950s, ALS/PDC prevalence ratios and death rates for Chamorro residents of Guam and Rota were 50–100 times that of developed countries, including the United States.

Studies on human brain tissue of ALS/PDC, ALS, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, and neurological controls indicated that BMAA is present in non-genetic progressive neurodegenerative disease, but not in controls or genetic-based Huntington's disease

My father died from complications arising from ALS about 35 years ago. His neurologist speculated that it was related to contaminants he encountered as an artillery instructor and field battery commander during WW2 (he was drafted in May 1941 and did not muster out until early 1946). I had read recently about what Glades is alluding to. Again, the conventional wisdom at the time of his death is that about a quarter of cases were hereditary and the balance environmental or diet related. Jack, thanks for posting!

Now go look up what causes blue-green algae, which produce BMAA, to flourish in lakes.
You may also want to Google blue-green algae and dogs.

Finally, check out the recent changes to WOTUS and the Clean Water Act.

I can smell the ban hammer coming so I'm out of here.

Now go look up what causes blue-green algae, which produce BMAA, to flourish in lakes.
You may also want to Google blue-green algae and dogs.

Finally, check out the recent changes to WOTUS and the Clean Water Act.

I can smell the ban hammer coming so I'm out of here.

The ban hammer is getting warmed up

• Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT